In the Blood

In the Blood

A Story by Caradoc
"

A short vampire story.

"

You would think that eternity lasts forever.

You would think, that a creature as old as I would have learned restraint, that I would have become inured to the temptations of the flesh. Alas, that is not the way of things.

Blood, you see, is the one thing I cannot deny myself. The source of my longevity, that which permits this perpetual death that I am bound to, is also the very thing that compels me to act the monster. Blood is life, everlasting. It is power, it is lust, it is damnation.

Blood is everything.

It is the reason you are here, at this exact moment. A debt must be paid, I acknowledge this truth. My thirst for it is what led us to cross paths. My unslakable need drove me to your doorstep. Its irresistible siren call was the tyrant that forced me to heel. It pulled me over the threshold, into your home, to the sleeping forms of your sweet, beautiful wife, and your three children. And though I freely admit I am enslaved by my hunger, I cannot deny that I reveled in their deaths. I glutted myself on your family, like I have a thousand families before them. Would I the opportunity, I'd have bathed in their blood, for it was some of the sweetest I have tasted in all the years I've roamed this earth.

As you no doubt know, I savored your eldest for hours. Virgins are a great deal harder to come by in this age.

She screamed at first, but I had already found my way into the homes of your closest neighbors, so there was no one to hear her. Of course, like all of you humans, she asked me 'why?'. This made me laugh of course; so humorous to see the same scene play out over and over again, without fail. Well, after that, she begged, and she pleaded, and cried to God, but He did not answer. I wonder if He was even listening.

You're shaking now, positively trembling with rage. Do you have any idea just how many times I've seen your expression on another man's face? Thousands. I've seen you in every skin tone, every shade of hair, every eye color imaginable.
My fangs have torn out the throats of every people on every continent. I'm old, you see. Older than your monuments of brick and stone, older than your country, your flag, and your petty wars. I've witnessed history, the best and worst of humankind, like a twisted play one would visit the theater to see. I saw the rise and fall of the Romans, the Greeks, the Persians and the Egyptians. I even sat down one evening to read the epic of Gilgamesh, in the original cuneiform.

It's a shame, really, that you have somehow bested me.

You're not a military man, I've slaughtered so many of them; in Afghanistan and Libya only years ago, all the way back to the time when bronze was considered state of the art. No, you're not even law enforcement.

What are you? You're nothing but a comic book store clerk, armed with a horribly whittled piece of wood and a penlight.

How pitiful.

But I still win, you see. My demise changes nothing. There are more like me. They are just as clever, just as savage, and just as powerful as I.  And they are everywhere.

You cannot hope to overcome us all.

Still, you have won this battle, and to the victor go the spoils. I will share with you a secret, something I'd planned on showing you in person. This will just have to do, however.

I leave behind a legacy.

Blood, I told you, is what permits my kind to exist. Sharing it with a mortal is how we procreate. And I have shared mine most recently. The daughter, whose body went missing from the morgue only days ago?

Yes. I see the horror in your eyes, the disbelief. But it's true. I live on through her. I am in her, just as you are, in the blood. She is our daughter now.

Blood, you see, is everything...

© 2014 Caradoc


Author's Note

Caradoc
This was written for the contest Vampires in Life, at 2 Am in the morning, while I resisted the temptation to devour my last Baby Ruth.

I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I'm going to enjoy that candy bar.

This now has a sequel titled, "Just a Little More". Read it below.

http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/Caradoc/1262379/


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love when an author can whisk you away allowing you to become the story, or feel as if you are "watching" it as it happens.. You captivated my attention throughout the entire piece and left me wanting more.. I didn't want it to end... I love the "voice" that you gave this deliciously evil short spellbinding work of art.... I don't like being able to "see" where the story is going before it gets there and this definitely didn't do that; each twist, turn, and "thickening" of the plot was imaginative, creative, and well written.. I am definitely a fan!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Caradoc

10 Years Ago

I am beaming with pride at this review. You sure know how to stroke a writer's ego. Haha. Thank you .. read more
AprilRN1210

10 Years Ago

You should definitely beam with pride, it is well worth the "stroking" of the ego:) .. I really do e.. read more



Reviews

I love when an author can whisk you away allowing you to become the story, or feel as if you are "watching" it as it happens.. You captivated my attention throughout the entire piece and left me wanting more.. I didn't want it to end... I love the "voice" that you gave this deliciously evil short spellbinding work of art.... I don't like being able to "see" where the story is going before it gets there and this definitely didn't do that; each twist, turn, and "thickening" of the plot was imaginative, creative, and well written.. I am definitely a fan!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Caradoc

10 Years Ago

I am beaming with pride at this review. You sure know how to stroke a writer's ego. Haha. Thank you .. read more
AprilRN1210

10 Years Ago

You should definitely beam with pride, it is well worth the "stroking" of the ego:) .. I really do e.. read more
Oh my goodness this was fantastic. I..I honestly dont have words to say how much I loved this. I was hoked from the very beginning, reading on to see what this talk of blood lead to, and I was not disappointing. For this being a short story it was wonderful but what I liked most was your take on it. Not so much your take on vampires and how they are portrayed, but how you lead on the story.

The scene playing out with the vampire telling its story to the man who bested him. The elaborate and gory details of how he killed the mans family, his neighbors. The bored drool tone that was set out as he admitted he was bested, but oh, he might of won the battle, but the war was far from over. Simply genius. Gah if I had been sitting down when I read this I would be jumping with giddy in my seat right now. XD

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Caradoc

10 Years Ago

LOL

I'm only a little sorry. ;p
Dewella~Vintella

10 Years Ago

Only a little, lmao. Evil man.
Caradoc

10 Years Ago

You could say I'm a bit evil, lol.
I like it. very neat take. I am tired, oh so tired of the teen vampire thriller love crap. I want my vampires wicked and evil, and not marriage material. lol

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Caradoc

10 Years Ago

I'm glad you liked it. And while I have no problem with the vampire romance genre, even working on a.. read more
This is really good. I love the gothic imagery and tasteful feel. Song is nice as well.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Caradoc

10 Years Ago

Thank you.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
He is a definition of evil dead, the dead that walks and drink blood. The reference you've used are highly amusing, the facts of history and different shades of fear matching everytime he kills. I like this story, enjoyed it much that I've read it twice to get how was he defeated by this human... now I am heading to the next part... great story my friend...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Caradoc

10 Years Ago

Thank you once again Pax.

I wanted this one to be old and powerful. I wanted the reader.. read more
You pen well the evil imaginations of the darkness.
The story is well written and I kept an interested mind as I read your words.
"Blood is everything."
This is more true than most people understand. It is in every single religion. It is in almost every folklore and myth known to man. Even the Greeks passed on their godlike attributes through the blood.
Yet there is a story about blood that heals the damage of every monstrous attack known to the imaginations of men and demons. Accepting this blood will make you a son or daughter, even if every drop of your blood had been spoiled by darkness...
I love vampire legends because they represent passion and sexuality and the very fabric of our DNA... They remind us the darkness is not a fairy tale and neither is the light.
Wonderful story!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Caradoc

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much, David.

I didn't want this vampire to be brooding or romantic. He had.. read more
Yummy... Yes I agree, blood is quite delicious.. Now I am hungry:D
Anyway, very fun story, loved the double-twist ending. I'm wondering where this creepy voice is coming from, an immortal who dies, yet is heard, and lives on through another in his afterlife. Nice crisp writing too. I enjoyed this Cara... And I see you have a thing for Vampires, I'll have to read more soon...
HK

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Caradoc

10 Years Ago

Thanks, Horizon. I'm so glad you enjoyed this. It was certainly a blast to write.

In re.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on November 1, 2013
Last Updated on October 11, 2014
Tags: Murder, Supernatural, Vampires

Author

Caradoc
Caradoc

Withered Wonderland



About
I encourage visitors to this page to take a look at a few authors whose work I admire and enjoy. KLGoode ----> http://www.writerscafe.org/amendoim1988 Pax ----> http://www.writerscafe.org/willya.. more..

Writing
Elseness Elseness

A Poem by Caradoc


Used To Used To

A Poem by Caradoc



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Ashen Ashen

A Poem by Sami Khalil