Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Carl Drake Barnard

There are some things in life we just can’t get by. The past for one is something we just can’t escape. This story

 

Controlled by love, pain and memories is one where a man struggles to cope with the loss of a loved one.

 

 

Looking back Lucas sees the open sea with the waves rolling towards him. He stops suddenly and turns towards the ocean. He leans down and gently slides his fingertips through the water. He looks up towards the ocean and thinks about her. He remembers the laughter they shared when he would ran his fingertips through her hair. He loved to play with her hair; he would play with the strings of her hair, stroking them from root to tip. Claire was the love of his life; she was the one person whom Lucas loved with all his heart and soul. Claire had meant the world too him.

 

 

Lucas was a chef back then when he had met Claire, she would always come and go, ordering an Appeltizer (drink) with a veggie sandwich. One day Lucas came out of the kitchen and wanted to lock up. It was then that his eyes caught her sitting in the corner. Lucas looked at her and thought ''Why is she still here?'' and then he noticed it: Claire was crying. He stood in disbelief, why was she crying, not able to leave her sorrowing by herself, he went to her and asked ''Hi, what’s wrong?''. She lifted her head up and looked at him in astonishment. Lucas was stunned when he saw her eyes, they were like blue crystals teaming with tears, he stood and saw, yet another tear flowing down her beautiful face to form a tear drop and he noticed her whole face was nearly covered with tears. He pulled a chair out and got seated across from her, not wanting to leave her like this. He placed his hands on the table looking at them unsure what her response would be. He was a mere stranger to her he and had only briefly time with her over the past year. She quickly wiped off the tears and crossed her arms while he was looking at his hands, ''It's nothing, really." she said with a persuasive tone, she rubbed her eyes and looked at his hands. Locus smiled and gave a small chuckle and said “Telling lies is a sin you know" looking now up to see her face.

 

To his relieve she smiled and giggled in a light sentimental way.

 

 

After that Claire had told him that her boyfriend had scolded at her and thrown her out of his house accusing her of lying and doing terrible things and that she was a waste and his parents was right about her. Lucas had listened silently he was so shocked of what he had heard. He was angry now grinding his teeth against each other, he thought  to himself' -How could someone do this to someone with such gentle heart- he looked at her saw the tears rolling down her cheeks he stood up and placed his right hand on her shoulder and said "I know of a place where you can stay, if you want, it’s a small room but you’ll like it, I think and if you want you can work here also with me, if you want to and I'll see to it that no harm comes to you." She stared at him for a second out of pure astonishment suddenly another tear fell. Unsure about what to say to him now, with her tears also not helping her cause she started blushing and quickly turned her head to table and said " I, I don't know what to say, I barely know you." Locus started smiling uncontrollably and looked away for a sec and said with a soft chuckle “well let’s start over, I'm Lucas and this is my restaurant’. She giggled and with blushing cheeks she smiled and said ''Hi I’m Claire”



© 2014 Carl Drake Barnard


Author's Note

Carl Drake Barnard
So over some past time i was mos m.i.a I was rewriting my book to get it in shape if you guys know how my book was like :) Hope you guys like it still :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I forgot to mention, that publishers don't like long narrated pieces...if it's a novel. Short stories are unavoidable. They want action, description, dialog, and mostly, a good story that has originality. So, if you intend to publish this, you need to add more paragraphs for one. Especially at the beginning of conversations.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Carl Drake Barnard

10 Years Ago

hmm thanks for your review I'll see what I can do but for now this is how I want it,if readers like .. read more



Reviews

You give the reader a good background on what is unveiling and what will aspire next. A very good introduction to characters and events. Thank you for sharing...:))))

Posted 7 Years Ago


thought the lines about him pulling the strands of her hair was eloquent. We create strong characters and resonance in those little human moments and that was a beautiful one.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Carl Drake Barnard

10 Years Ago

thank you :)
I really like the imagery. I can picture him standing on the beach remembering the day he met her. Some minor grammatical errors, but I can understand it. Really nice!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Carl Drake Barnard

10 Years Ago

Aww thank you I'll pay more attention to it thanks for bringing it up :) and thanks for sweet review.. read more
I forgot to mention, that publishers don't like long narrated pieces...if it's a novel. Short stories are unavoidable. They want action, description, dialog, and mostly, a good story that has originality. So, if you intend to publish this, you need to add more paragraphs for one. Especially at the beginning of conversations.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Carl Drake Barnard

10 Years Ago

hmm thanks for your review I'll see what I can do but for now this is how I want it,if readers like .. read more
First of all, I love the name Lucas and my cousin's name is Claire. :) The back story is so cute, but I'm sad because I know that Claire has to die. :(

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Carl Drake Barnard

10 Years Ago

Sorry but no Claire lives on,but Lucas looses more painfull than death and he is forced to live on... read more
Kiara

10 Years Ago

Oh, I must have read it wrong. :/ Now I feel stupid.
Carl Drake Barnard

10 Years Ago

Hehe no it gave a couple of people that same feeling,but feel free to follow my book
and give.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

672 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 10, 2013
Last Updated on August 26, 2014
Tags: love, passion


Author

Carl Drake Barnard
Carl Drake Barnard

South Africa



About
Hi,I am Carl. I'm a Chef and a writer. I am melancholy-Rage writer as the past have said. And I am like this in real life. I write what I know and stay true to feelings as I discover them in life. more..

Writing