Chapter 3  - The Apartment

Chapter 3 - The Apartment

A Chapter by Carl Drake Barnard

“Claire?” Lucas asked in amazement. 

 

Claire was sitting in her old rocking chair, staring out through the window, over the city. Suzuki was curled up on her lap, when Lucas spoke Suzuki lifted her head looking at him. She immediately leaped off from Claire's lap, running towards the door. Lucas quickly picked her up "Nope, you’re not going out today love. Lucas said to Suzuki.   

She licked Lucas's hand and curled up in to his baby like hold. Claire was looking at him smiling sympathetically. “Hi, Lucas” Claire said with a gentleness and kindness to her voice. 

 

Lucas couldn't speak for there were no words for what he felt. Seeing her, hearing her, it was all just a little too much. Her tone made Lucas feel unease, he didn't expect her to be so loving and caring, and after everything she did. It was as if he was dreaming again, only to wake up and find that it was only his mind playing tricks with him. “Lucas?” Claire asked desperately, wanting to hear him speak. Withdrawn from his thoughts, Lucas looked at Claire, and smiled. “Hello, Claire.”


Claire arose from her chair, with her hands helping her up. She slowly began walking towards him. She still looked the same from the last day he had seen her. She was wearing her blue skinny jean with a white t-shirt. Her hair was longer though, he missed it, her golden blond hair. He felt how the chills went through his body as she approached him closer and closer like an angel coming to take fear and doubts. “How have you been, Lucas?” Claire asked, now standing not even two feet away from him. He could feel her presence, her warmth connecting with his soul. “Alive and kicking, I guess, I had never expected you to leave Claire. And back to that guy..."  

“I'm sorry Lucas; I never wanted to hurt you. I had to go.” Claire said looking at Lucas's eyes. With her hands rubbing against each other.


"But why Claire?" Lucas said looking at Claire he moved closer towards to her. "Why back to him? Back to the person that tormented you?" Lucas was now standing in front of Claire, you could see the disappointment in his downed eyes. "Its none of your business Lucas." She turned and faced their photos  "I see you still have them, our photos." Lucas looked at them and back to her. "What's that suppose to mean?" Lucas replied, now annoyed with her changing the subject. "Nothing" Claire said turning away from the photos.

 

Lucas "What happened Claire? You never said goodbye or even gave a hint that you were leaving me. You just left. I had to hear from Elaina that you were back with that guy! I mean was it me?? Was it because I said I love you?” The questions came out from his soul, his open honest soul; he wanted to know everything to fill the missing gaps.


Claire stood back, almost as if she was taking it all in as punishment by what he had said. Claire "I left because I couldn't take it here anymore, I couldn't stand being around you! I never loved you Lucas." Lucas was stunned by her words; she never loved me. He felt his hands sweating the tears wanted to came it he felt Sorrow claiming his inner soul taking his love for Claire. He tightly closed his right hand and close his eyes. Claire saw how sad he looked and reached out to his arm. Lucas opened his eyes. He couldn't do it; fight against the person that he loves with all his heart. "Alright, then let me then just help you with your boxes", 


"No it's fine, I can do it."

 

She picked up one box and Said "I have gathered all the important stuff, so I'm just taking this one box with.", "Its fine Claire, are you sure I can't help?" It almost looks as if there was a second of sorrow within her facial expression. "Claire, I'm sorry about everything it’s just I've been trying so hard to move on and forget you, but it’s hard even after everything that has happened. I can’t just forget you Claire. Times have been hard after you left Claire.” "I'm sorry Lucas but I have to go, goodbye Suzuki." She opened the door with the one hand with the other carrying the box with support from her waist. She went through and closed it without even looking back. Suzuki looked up at Lucas and Lucas looked at Suzuki. "Meow?"

 



© 2014 Carl Drake Barnard


Author's Note

Carl Drake Barnard
I needed to add another paragraph to link it more closely to the book and to make it a little longer. let me know what you think :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow....its a great start...but I think there's something lurking in the shadows....Claire is hiding something

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hey Guys and ladies :) Ok so I've released a quick preview of Chapter 3 going to add more paragraphs add work on it a bit later let me know what your opinion is about the chapter and it connected with the book. And thanks for reading :)

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

399 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 5, 2014
Last Updated on August 14, 2014
Tags: Remember, love, passion, compassion, longing, lost love.


Author

Carl Drake Barnard
Carl Drake Barnard

South Africa



About
Hi,I am Carl. I'm a Chef and a writer. I am melancholy-Rage writer as the past have said. And I am like this in real life. I write what I know and stay true to feelings as I discover them in life. more..

Writing