In With Her.

In With Her.

A Story by xCasper
"

An old piece I found in one of my old notebooks from high school. I was definitely a goth who loved his flash fiction..

"

          I hesitated as I peered down into the casket. I imagined her grabbing me by my black tie and pulling me in close.

        She’d pull me in so close that my ear would be pressed up against her sewn shut mouth. And through the stitching I’d be able to hear her breath, struggling to say something.

        Everyone would be so wrapped up in their own lament that they wouldn't notice me, standing there, half way in the casket with her, and the other half too scared to move.

        Then I’d hear something from inside the coffin. Further than my sight would allow me to see, my head still pressed up against her face. It was a dull thudding.

 Her heart maybe? Beating, bringing her back to life. Thudding, with each second growing louder and louder.

        Maybe she had never really died. Maybe it was some freak mistake, my lover thought to have perished only to be saved minutes before they sealed her in the ground forever. But the cut on her throat was still there. Covered in makeup the best they could. But still there. Evidence of the terrible tragedy that had happened.

        And the rhythm was off. I know her heartbeat and this wasn't it. This was different. More sporadic. It sounded labored, almost desperate. As if her heart were trying to beat its way right through her rib cage and out of her chest onto the casket.

        “How could they not hear this thudding?” I would wonder. It had grown so loud that it was louder than the music that was playing softly from the old grand piano that sat in the corner of the room.

        Out of the corner of my eyes I’d notice that the thudding wasn't coming from her chest, but instead it was coming from within her stomach. And then it would hit me. It was something far grimmer than a heartbeat.

        She’d try to speak a few words, but they wouldn't be able to quite find their way out. I’d look further into the casket. Into the darkness that it concealed. Into beyond, where I couldn't see and then back to her face. Her eyes still shut, would have a tear or two drip out and down her face.

        I would hear the baby inside her womb begin to scream, it’s kicking would grow louder. My daughter would be trying to escape.

        So I hesitated as I peered down into the casket.

© 2015 xCasper


Author's Note

xCasper
Just a small piece of flash fiction. For those who don't understand flash fiction, it is meant to be a standalone piece. Regardless of whether or not it appears it has back story, or needs more back story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You've definitely got a way with endings my friend. The story drew me in and left me feeling all cold and clammy. I'm in no way an experienced editor so the only critique I can find is a heavy use of the verb 'to be'. Not too sure if it hurts the material, it was just something I noticed.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

xCasper

9 Years Ago

Thank you!
This was done a long time ago, and maybe someday when I'm not searching for proscra.. read more



Reviews

You've definitely got a way with endings my friend. The story drew me in and left me feeling all cold and clammy. I'm in no way an experienced editor so the only critique I can find is a heavy use of the verb 'to be'. Not too sure if it hurts the material, it was just something I noticed.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

xCasper

9 Years Ago

Thank you!
This was done a long time ago, and maybe someday when I'm not searching for proscra.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

421 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 12, 2014
Last Updated on February 23, 2015
Tags: In With Her, Casket, Funeral, Wake, Coffin, Death, Horror, Casper, EditRed

Author

xCasper
xCasper

Where Soul Meets Body, UT



About
I inhale, therefore I must exhale. I live, therefore I must die. more..

Writing
This Flesh This Flesh

A Poem by xCasper


My Mask. My Mask.

A Poem by xCasper