A story--Trujillo

A story--Trujillo

A Story by Coyote Poetry
"

Many lessons to be learn in a long life.

"

Trujillo �" A story

                       Trujillo
My delusional mind and forsaken dreams seem so far away.I console myself with Honduras rum and I roamed the discos and nightclubs.I’m fatigue from suffocating in goals of work and money.I have volunteered for every mission since I rejoined the Army in 1991. I got lucky and I’m on a medical mission in Honduras. Assisting military medical team and Doctors with water, food and fuel for giving treatment in the mountains.

Today I’m in Trujillo. Me and one Soldier got stuck in the beautiful city for a few days because of rainy season. All the roads were damaged and closed.We stayed at the American Inn. The Hotel is on the mountain and you can see the Caribbean sea for miles. A beautiful young woman brought food to us. She told us. “Un gran fiesta en la cuidad en la noche.” She poured the flesh juice into our glasses. She smiled and looked at me. “You may be able to enjoy yourself.”

Trujillo is a old city. So beautiful and so much history. The people of the city don’t seen to see us. They are busy with their lives. As always I roamed alone into the city. Night was coming and I heard music being plays on the beach. I saw the people were dancing and celebrating being alive. I’m being waved over by a young woman. She is standing by a fire on the beach. She ran to me and she took my hand. She brought me to the fire and she puts me into a chair. The woman is wearing a light dress showing a young and beautiful body. Many more woman are near by talking and laughing.

I asked for a rum and coke. She came back and her dark eyes were sad. Her hair flowed down her back and her body was young and strong. She puts a mosquito net over me. She whispered.”The mosquitoes are muy malo en la noche.” I thanks her and tried to give her money. She wouldn’t accept it.

She told me. “Un gran fiesta hoy in la noche. Un fiesta de Libertad. Ignoro como explicarlo. Encantado. Estoy a sus ordenes.” I sat alone and drank my rum and coke. The moon  appeared and the night begins to overtake the day. Many people on the beach now and everyone was kind to a misplaced American. A old man came and sat with me. The same young woman brought a mosquito net and put it over his large chair. In perfect English the man told me. “Welcome to my party. I’m a Doctor. My name is Roberto.” I shook his hand.

He pointed at the young woman and he told me. “She is my daughter Rosa. She is my joy and pleasure in my world.” I asked did he want a drink? He gave me a kind smile. Told me. “I’m a old man and I can see you are not a well.  The rum won’t fix your problems. You are twisted up and looking for the wrong things.” He ordered us a elixir of fresh fruit. Told me taste the gifts of the spirits. I drank the fruity tasting drink and I told him the drink is amazing. He told me ” Look at the old city.We have been here awhile. A lot of bad times and the people of Trujillo overcame them.”

“The tropics bring the fruit and food of Nature’s gifts to us. The drink is the combination of the fruit of life. You must release the darkness. Celebrate a new day to do something worthwhile.” Rosa ran to us. Told her father. “It is time to dance.”
Her soft brown eyes begged me to dance. She picked me up.

The soft drums are playing. I tried to follow her movements. She is young and filled of life and I just tried to keep up with her. Many people are on the beach now and Rosa brought me to a group of people. All are very kind. I shared my cigarettes. Rosa smiled and told me. “Hoy es un buen noche.”

I sat with the old man and he ordered us coffee. He told me. “All things have a purpose. Somehow you wandered into my Trujillo. I’m thankful for a new friend.” Rosa brought the strong coffee.

He told me.”I have a story for you.”

“There was was young man.
He thought he had nothing.
He fell on the beach crying.
The Sky Spirit came and told him.
Look up.

He looked up and saw the banana tree around him.
The mangoes growing in the back of him.
He reached for the fruit.
They were sweet and good.

He still cries sitting on the beach alone.
The Spirit of the sea came to him.
Told him look at the ocean.

The man saw a net for catching fish.
He worked all morning.
He caught many fish.
He ate what he needed.
He went into the village and gave the
extra fish away.

He sat down and started crying again.
The Spirit of the mountain came to him.
Told him to look up.

The man looked up and saw a beautiful woman
bringing him bread and coffee.

She thanked him for the fish.
She asked why was he so sad?

He told her I’m alone and
do not know my reasons for life?

The woman smiled and sat with him.
Told him he could work for my uncle.
My uncle always need strong men who can fish.
She took his hands.

Told him.
We are all family in the end.

The man realized the spirit had taught him to see
that life can be good for him.
The young woman and the man walked together back into
the city holding hands.”

I smiled at the old man. Told him. “My ailments ain’t so easy to fix. I’m contaminated by bad decisions and my exhausted spirit saw the fraud in my way of life. I can’t find discarded dreams of youth. I’m defaced love with my greed. I’m here for consequences of many poor decisions.”

Rosa is at my feet now. Watched my eyes. The old man laughed and told me. “You are young and many mile to go.
Just try to learn yesterday was just education.To teach us right from wrong. Stay with me in Trujillo for a few days.Your spirit will become strong again.”

I accepted his offer and kindness. Rosa is behind me. Caressed my head and hair gently. She sang a sweet love song in Spanish. The old man smiled and she told me. We don’t need a lot in life. In the end we take nothing with us. You need to figure out what is important.

Rosa is dancing barefoot on the beach. I left my chair, Danced on the beach of Trujillo with a beautiful woman. The old man smiled and I can hear his laughter.

Coyote

1994

© 2015 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
A re-write

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

That's amazing, especially the end. It's true...we should reflect on what is truly valuable in life. When we die, we take no possessions with us. So if money or things were valuables to us, it's a sad way to leave the world. But if we filled our lives with laughter, wonderful memories, good friends, those mementos made life full and worth living and less scary and sad to leave behind.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

Took me a year in Honduras to learn. Life is just lessons to teach us to appreciate the good days. T.. read more



Reviews

That's amazing, especially the end. It's true...we should reflect on what is truly valuable in life. When we die, we take no possessions with us. So if money or things were valuables to us, it's a sad way to leave the world. But if we filled our lives with laughter, wonderful memories, good friends, those mementos made life full and worth living and less scary and sad to leave behind.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

Took me a year in Honduras to learn. Life is just lessons to teach us to appreciate the good days. T.. read more
I really enjoyed this, the use of both languages and and the fable made it very dynamic and wonderful. If we lie in the past, we shall never see the beauty of the now, or the possiblities of the future. :) Thank you for the read

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

Thank you Annabelle for reading and the comment.. This is a true story. I spend a year in Honduras. .. read more
Annabelle N.

8 Years Ago

that is so amazing :)
Life is for living...tomorrow for forgiving. Valentine

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

I agree dear Poet. Thank you for reading.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
-- a beautiful story with an even more beautiful message... -- we all need to understand that the past is over and we cal always start afresh and try to live a meaningful life...

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

I agree. I was lucky. My worst days. I met a kind teacher. Thank you for reading and the comment.
.

8 Years Ago

-- you're welcome... :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

278 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 6, 2015
Last Updated on November 6, 2015
Tags: Just words

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..