The New York city light- Happy ending?

The New York city light- Happy ending?

A Chapter by Coyote Poetry
"

Just words

"
                           New York city lights- Full circle


I went to the Hospital cafeteria and the Doctor who talked with Dorthy came to me.  I try to stand-up and to salute him. He waved me to sit-down and offered me his hand. I took his hand and he introduced himself as Doctor Paul. He told me. "Rank mean little here. Most of us are here to help the soldier. I wanted to thank you. You opened up a closed door. What did you do?" I told him. I asked Dorthy what her brother pleasures were. Just used the tools of human kindness and the game of chess. Sometime people play hide and see. Better to forget people we loved and need than to add burden. I know his place, but I have been a a*****e for my complete life. I have accepted my demons. Some people can't.

The Doctor smiled and he asked. "Are you okay? Can't hide your disappointment and anger forever? Some demons hide inside the mind and one day can escape and break your back. You did a good thing today. Here is my card and if you need something soldier. Please call me." I took the card and I shook hands with the Doctor and I was left alone to my thoughts. I was glad Dorthy's brother accepted her. Sometime people don't come back. War and life steal the hope and the will from us forever. I have met other men like Dorthy's brother. Become locked in the need of drugs and alcohol. Drugs and alcohol. Just a slow killer for the soldier who saw too much and is trying to forget. I wondered how Dorthy and her brother was doing?

Dorthy appeared and she came to me. Her perfect make-up had rolled down her beautiful face with her fallen tears. She told me and she embraced me tightly. "Thank you Johnnie. Me and my brother Paul had a long talk. He told me. He would try to do better and I can visit every weekend if I wanted. He told me he wants to go home to mother and father. He wants to talk to you again. Can you talk to him again?" I smiled and I told her. No problem.

Paul was sitting alone with the chess game ready. He gave me a odd smile and he told me. "I want a real chess game. Show me what you got. Please sit-down and play this last game with me." I sat down and he led with the white. I told him I was glad he talked with Dorthy. She was very concern and needed him in her life. He looked at me with a serious face and he told me. "I'm a drunk, a bum. I f**k-up everything in my life. I don't believe I can be saved. After I arrived back. I tried to kill myself. This is why I'm here. I told my family to leave me alone. I know I was wrong. I told Dorthy to call my mother. I will see her also. Do you believe I can be saved John? You are still a soldier and I can see in your eyes. You have seen and known hard times. You keep fighting. Why?

I told him. Keep you eyes on the game. I'm boxing you in and you can be okay. Hardest forgiveness is the person looking back at us in the mirror. No angels upon this earth. I have a heavy burden myself. Dead brothers and left kind women alone because I wanting too much. War didn't effect me. I followed the tanks and the helicopters. Little danger for men behind the tanks. You need your family. Your sister is a strong woman who loved you with all her heart. You have support. Are you still active and getting paid?

He looked at the chess board and he smiled. He told me." You kicked my a*s brother. I promise to see my sister if you return with her sometimes. I like the conversation and the chess games. I want a revenge match. I can talk to you without regret. Are you station near here?" I answered. "For a short time only. I'm waiting for orders. I came back last month. My unit was kicked out of the Middle East too early. I was serving with the reserves in Kuwait and Fort Dix, N.J was my only options till they find me a place to go. He looked sad and he asked me. "You will be leaving the East coast and Dorthy. Does she know? She loved you a lot. You will break her heart."  I told him. She knows I must leave. Me and her are walking on shelled eggs and we are trying to be careful. Dorthy is a successful woman and I have little. I gave-up everything to escape my life and find a better death. Dorthy saved me. She is a wonderful woman.

Paul smiled and took my right hand and he told me. "'Death will come when death wants. Please come again and bring my sister. " Dorthy showed-up with  her make-up perfect again and hugged her brother. She begin to cry again. Her bother caressed her like a child and he whispered. "I'm sorry Dorthy, please don't cry. I will be okay and I love you my sister. I won't act a fool, no-more." Dorthy kissed his face cheeks and we left the hospital. Dorthy held my hand tightly and we held silence till we got on the New York city train in Albany.  She laid he head into my chest and cried. The cry was for release. I held her tightly and I allowed her to gather her thoughts and mind.

When we got close to New York city. Darkness had overtook the city. She was lite-up and so beautiful. Dorthy told me. "this is why I love this city. So bright and shiny. Make you forget the problems of living. Tonight we will go dancing and we shall drink. You are my Johnnie and best friend. I know you must leave soon. Please promise to be my friend. You have helped me and I love you honey. I won't forget the kindness given."  I whispered to her. Dear Dorthy. You have saved me my love. I wanted to drink myself to death in self-pity and hide in dark and safe corners. You made me face the light and know laughter. You are my Irish wish and dream. Dorthy smiled and she asked me. "Next week. Can we go back to Albany and see my brother. I'm still a bit nervous. He still looked not right. He looked weak and lonely." I answered her. Till I leave Fort Dix, we can go every Saturday. Your brother will be okay. He need you and your family. I love you Dorthy and tonight we will drink and dance, than open the window curtains of your apartment when we return home. Watch the New York city lights together.

                                 John Castellenas/Coyote










© 2016 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
Just words.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The thing I like the most reading this entire book of yours . . . the way you can show us free loving with no strings attached. People get tangled up in yesterdays & tomorrows, so they miss the joys right in front of us today. This is the best lesson imparted by telling your story. We can never know what will come & we need to let go of whatever went before. There could be so much more peace & love in the world if people could learn to live like this. I'm just as bad as the next person in not being able to do this. Great inspirational story. Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad I found this.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you for reading my long story. You are right. We need to appreciate friendship and love shared.. read more
barleygirl

7 Years Ago

I would be very delighted to read more of your longer stories (((HUGS)))



Reviews

The thing I like the most reading this entire book of yours . . . the way you can show us free loving with no strings attached. People get tangled up in yesterdays & tomorrows, so they miss the joys right in front of us today. This is the best lesson imparted by telling your story. We can never know what will come & we need to let go of whatever went before. There could be so much more peace & love in the world if people could learn to live like this. I'm just as bad as the next person in not being able to do this. Great inspirational story. Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad I found this.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you for reading my long story. You are right. We need to appreciate friendship and love shared.. read more
barleygirl

7 Years Ago

I would be very delighted to read more of your longer stories (((HUGS)))

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

348 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 6, 2016
Last Updated on March 6, 2016


Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing