The sea and the chess game

The sea and the chess game

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

Old poetry from 1993 with a re-write

"
                               The sea and the chess game


Old Poet set-up the chess game and I opened the bottle of tequila.
The old man had few friends. People see a old man with no-place to go.
They do not sit with him, play a game of chess and know his life.
Writers are seeking of the impossible and we can end-up alone by the sea.
Old men by the sea  had learn the true value of life.

He smiled at me and he told me. "My friend Johnnie, so many way to chose your death. Don't concern yourself with death. Death will come. On a good day when life is too much of a burden. He may take you away to a better place my friend. Now allow me to pour the tequila for you. A good day to drink and play the game of chess."

The old man poured the tequila into paper cups and he gave me one. He raised the paper cup and he told me. "I drink to you my kind friend, I drink to me and I drink to the tequila. Only solid place I have known." We played the game of chess and drank the tequila slowly.

I asked him. Sir, my friend. What am I going to do? I don't want love, I don't want happiness.  I joined a war to find the good death. Now old dreams are being born again because of the sea and when I hear your voice. I'm writing words and I became the street Poet. Can we change our path?

The old man laughed at me. He smiled and he told me. "Don't worry my friend. All things fall into place. Your life, your place you called home and dreams will fall and begin again. You will learn to accept less, steal more and give less. You will become a damn human being."

I told him. When I was young. I was going to save our world. Now, I don't know how to save myself. A strange ending for me. I wish I could get off the rolling coaster ride.

The man smiled and poured the tequila into the paper cups. He whispered. "Like all things, you will forget or the past will become acceptable, a part of us. Just allow time to steal the bitterness from your heart. Old men learn and understand. Old age make us appreciate the new day and good friends."

The tequila begin to erase the sad conversation and I understood the old man. The old man and me. Played the game of chess and laughed at life.  The sun was falling and the old Poet told me.

"Life is to be lived. You must toss the bad days aside and not be blinded by old mistakes. All of us must fall often to know. Life can be okay. If you swim in misery, you could miss something good or wonderful."

The old man poured the last of the tequila into the paper cups. He raised the cup to the falling sun and he told her. "Live life like today is your last. Be kind to the people near and don't look backward at the mistakes made. Keep learning, love often and laugh at the foolish men who don't love the sea and the game of chess."
                          John Castellenas/Coyote






 

© 2016 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
A 1993 poem with a proper re-write.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"You will learn to accept less, steal more and give less."

Sometimes it is good to learn to give more love to others. =)

Your poet is like a 'thought' which has been long pondered in mind. It is like a idea of better world. Your words flowing through reader's mind like timeless time.

Good work, my poet friend.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Sarah. We can learn from the old Poets near the sea.



Reviews

"You will learn to accept less, steal more and give less."

Sometimes it is good to learn to give more love to others. =)

Your poet is like a 'thought' which has been long pondered in mind. It is like a idea of better world. Your words flowing through reader's mind like timeless time.

Good work, my poet friend.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Sarah. We can learn from the old Poets near the sea.
I read a few of your poems so far, this one was my favorite. I like the melancholy feel of ended dreams, and dieing aspirations. I also enjoy the idea of a rebirth of dreams, and that death comes to all so don't worry about it. A comment on your name Coyote, I find it interesting. The trickster hero. Thank you for wonderful poetry.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Long story how the name came to be. I was a trickster. Better to laugh than cry. Thank you for readi.. read more

"Life is to be lived. You must toss the bad days aside and not be blinded by old mistakes. All of us must fall often to know. Life can be okay. If you swim in misery, you could miss something good or wonderful."
i am so happy if at the end of the day, i read something as beautiful as that...
amazing write, i feel so relaxed after reading this...
freshness overloaded :)) :))

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Anne. I was glad to read your kind and positive comment.
Your story is so perfect for where I'm finding myself these days. For years, my pride has blocked the way of me being able to tell the stories of my life with unflinching honesty. Lately, all this foolishness has fallen away & I've fallen in love with the stories I used to be embarrassed about & never tell anyone. It's so freakin' great to be old. I love the lessons of old souls in many of your stories, Coyote (((HUGS)))

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

You are right my friend. Old age make us know. The kindness of love is important. Never know when it.. read more
This is really awesome John:) reading all set me back in many moments spoken with older people. I never got to follow a young life I was always around the older people and I could never get enough of the true stories of life:)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

I wish I listen to my elders stories more. They who lived a complete life can teach us plenty. Thank.. read more
??????

7 Years Ago

Yes they sure can. Your welcome John.
I like the conversational tone to this...the sea adds to the emotion and the chess is interestingly unique...seems to me we can meander through so many whys and hows yet time is really the only factor that can shift and humble us in some ways...superb Coyote...I enjoyed this :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you dear friend. I need a year near the sea. I need a place to clear my head.
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Ruth

7 Years Ago

My pleasure hon...I can so relate to that...it is my dream to live by the sea one day...
WOW!!!! I love this. What an amazing poem. Very true. The journey of life must have hope and a positive attitude

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and the comment. I agree.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
BL
For those who play chess this must make sense, as to me chess is a microcosm of life itself. You have brought this story back in well at the end, making it self encapsulating and complete.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Chess is a game of chance and options. You can play to win or play for the pleasure of the good talk.. read more
I very much enjoyed this deep reflective piece. So much wisdom shared here between the two.
A game of chess... I like that. Reminds me of deep conversations with my father in my 20's as we sipped Turkish coffee and played chess. We take the wisdoms and lessons and then apply them in our own way.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Coffee and long talks. Missed days for me. Thank you Ana for reading and the comment.
Matching Socks

7 Years Ago

You are very welcome.
This is relevant, I supposed.
This line caught my attention:
""Life is to be lived. You must toss the bad days aside and not be blinded by old mistakes."

Thank you for sharing, sir.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

It is. People who swim in the past. We forget to live for today. Thank you Dhaye for reading and the.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1103 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 18, 2016
Last Updated on May 18, 2016

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..