The sea and the chess game

The sea and the chess game

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

Old poetry from 1993 with a re-write

"
                               The sea and the chess game


Old Poet set-up the chess game and I opened the bottle of tequila.
The old man had few friends. People see a old man with no-place to go.
They do not sit with him, play a game of chess and know his life.
Writers are seeking of the impossible and we can end-up alone by the sea.
Old men by the sea  had learn the true value of life.

He smiled at me and he told me. "My friend Johnnie, so many way to chose your death. Don't concern yourself with death. Death will come. On a good day when life is too much of a burden. He may take you away to a better place my friend. Now allow me to pour the tequila for you. A good day to drink and play the game of chess."

The old man poured the tequila into paper cups and he gave me one. He raised the paper cup and he told me. "I drink to you my kind friend, I drink to me and I drink to the tequila. Only solid place I have known." We played the game of chess and drank the tequila slowly.

I asked him. Sir, my friend. What am I going to do? I don't want love, I don't want happiness.  I joined a war to find the good death. Now old dreams are being born again because of the sea and when I hear your voice. I'm writing words and I became the street Poet. Can we change our path?

The old man laughed at me. He smiled and he told me. "Don't worry my friend. All things fall into place. Your life, your place you called home and dreams will fall and begin again. You will learn to accept less, steal more and give less. You will become a damn human being."

I told him. When I was young. I was going to save our world. Now, I don't know how to save myself. A strange ending for me. I wish I could get off the rolling coaster ride.

The man smiled and poured the tequila into the paper cups. He whispered. "Like all things, you will forget or the past will become acceptable, a part of us. Just allow time to steal the bitterness from your heart. Old men learn and understand. Old age make us appreciate the new day and good friends."

The tequila begin to erase the sad conversation and I understood the old man. The old man and me. Played the game of chess and laughed at life.  The sun was falling and the old Poet told me.

"Life is to be lived. You must toss the bad days aside and not be blinded by old mistakes. All of us must fall often to know. Life can be okay. If you swim in misery, you could miss something good or wonderful."

The old man poured the last of the tequila into the paper cups. He raised the cup to the falling sun and he told her. "Live life like today is your last. Be kind to the people near and don't look backward at the mistakes made. Keep learning, love often and laugh at the foolish men who don't love the sea and the game of chess."
                          John Castellenas/Coyote






 

© 2016 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
A 1993 poem with a proper re-write.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"You will learn to accept less, steal more and give less."

Sometimes it is good to learn to give more love to others. =)

Your poet is like a 'thought' which has been long pondered in mind. It is like a idea of better world. Your words flowing through reader's mind like timeless time.

Good work, my poet friend.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Sarah. We can learn from the old Poets near the sea.



Reviews

A very good write. A great slice of life if you ask me.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

It was. I met many kind people in Big Surf, Pacific Grove and Monterey. Showed me, life is slowing d.. read more
"He raised the cup to the falling sun and he told her. "

the aspect of the falling sun is very mystical to me - lovely verse you've penned here

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you my friend for reading and the comment. I need a year by the sea.
Well done young man, some times wisdom is poured into a paper cup. Enjoyed the setting of your poem, the saltiness of the sea and the old man. Life is not about perfection but perfecting the ability to get up after we have fallen. Nice write, Poet.
Richie

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

You are right Rich. I appreciate the comment.
I like the way you have written this, and the thoughts contained within paint a wonderful picture. I feel you should write two books -- one of swooning romantic pieces and one of these type -- a sort of his and hers box set. Anyway, suffice it to say it is another great addition to your story. I did notice at the beginning one small thing -- it should be AN old man. There maybe could be a few more commas here and there, but it flows nicely from one thought to the next.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you dear friend. I appreciate the advice and the comment.
This is quite deep and engaging. One must actually live life today, as if it is his last. I like it when you speak of "damn human being". Life shapes us into a damn human being- rather the circumstances do. But this can be combated by strong self-will to be good and live a healthy life which journeys up and down the scale of goodness. Very well-written. Keep writing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Vatsal. I appreciate the comment.
we write so much of loss...and this old poet reflected what the speaker feels he has become.
it's like Hemingway's "old man and the sea"

here he is playing chess, with a life that has been torn off the bones by the sharks of life---and yet, he still swims, still has pride in his catch of life---and can still drink a toast to all that he has been...

j.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

I agree my friend. Better to hope for a new day and enjoy the opportunities to dance and sing.
The old man laughed at me. He smiled and he told me. "Don't worry my friend. All things fall into place. Your life, your place you called home and dreams will fall and begin again. You will learn to accept less, steal more and give less. You will become a damn human being."

My favourite Hemingway write ... the Old Man and the Sea. Gutter Dog is a way a homage. I may have to release it again. Wonderful write, friend, and good advice:)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Pryde. I believe Hemingway enjoyed his life. Good to test like, travel and have some fun.
Well-done!
I love it, and it reminds me of Hemingway so much.
You got it right about life and how it moves and changes us.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Yes Josie. Life will take us to were we support to be. Thank you for reading and the comment.
Josie E. Cook M. A.

7 Years Ago

You are welcome!

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1099 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 18, 2016
Last Updated on May 18, 2016

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..