Old soldier

Old soldier

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

Just words

"
                         

                                  Old Soldier

Dear Father never once did complain about his time in Korea.  His medals over the fireplace was his pride and joy.
We watched war movies together and he sat and watched the old movies with a needed silence.

He didn't think I remembered, as a child before he quit drinking. I watched him talking to dead friend in the kitchen. The daily bottle of rum left him in a dead zone talking to men left in the Korea dirt.

Three times we loaded-up up the car. He was blind-sided drunk and he was going to California to see his soldier friend. I would go with him. We never made it to Toledo, Ohio. He would fall asleep at some rest stop. I learn later. He wanted to go to a his friend grave and to say his final goodbye.

Old dad was hard. Worked hard, five wives and eleven kids.  He told me often. Don't be like me.  Get educated and stay away from war.

I re-joined in 1991 to go to war. He took me to the airport and I saw in his face. The sadness of me leaving for war. His eyes heavy with sadness. He knew I would learn what war was.

Today I'm the old man. Father's rum killed him at 61 years old. I learned my father burden. I'm the old Soldier who go early to the Memorial day celebration yearly. Me and the old-timers stand together talking to friends lost to war. We tell our old friends about their children. We tell them, we miss their bad jokes and laughter. The War world two vets are the wisest.  They tell us kids. We are the left-overs. We must remember friend gone and ensure these men lives were fought for good reasons. Never allow freedom to be lost.

July fourth is coming. Time to celebrate freedom. The USA is still the place where a man or woman can succeed with hard work and effort. Many cultures live together without violence and we do our best to get along. Freedom had cost a lot. Many good men and women died so we can be free. The old wars were fought for us to know freedom and chance.

My father never complained. He loved the USA. He stood for the right things.

                               John Castellenas/Coyote



© 2016 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
Just words.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A beautiful work for independence day. Many soldiers, this dad, and son carry a heavy burden for the freedom the rest enjoy. Thanks to all the fathers, sons, along with thousands more for giving a large piece of their peace and sanity so the rest could be free. Well done.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Willard. I appreciate the comment.



Reviews

Thank you for sharing! (You may want to proof read for some small grammar nit-picks. :) )

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and the recommendation. I do appreciate.
This is a very poignant write, darlin'. It truly moved me. Freedom comes with a high price. It is a beautiful tribute. I am grateful to you and all who have served. God bless.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you dear friend. We cannot forget the men and women who fought and die for us to know freedom.
SJ Mullins

7 Years Ago

No, we most certainly cannot. It is imperative that we all remember freedom is not free. We have i.. read more
My hand just flew to my heart as i read your words, John... had to stop it thumping. Your write is so emotional, so sincere. Pausing for a second now.

In a way, this write condemns war by lauding the lives of the fallen. You've written with a sincere pen - as you always do, and raised the bar when it comes to tributes. If only this could be published world.wide. Shows true respect to your dad, to all the fallen yet - the continuing desire for peace.

Extraordinarily said yet - beautiful. Could only have been written by you.

(Mis-typed this and that, have amended, sorry)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Emma. I appreciate the kind words. No-one win in war.
A beautiful work for independence day. Many soldiers, this dad, and son carry a heavy burden for the freedom the rest enjoy. Thanks to all the fathers, sons, along with thousands more for giving a large piece of their peace and sanity so the rest could be free. Well done.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Willard. I appreciate the comment.
Very sad and beautiful I understand my grandfather himself is a veteran lucky he came home to see us grow yet he is proud that none of us has had to see war. I respect you as a soldier and thank you for your service dear. Though I know the feeling my grandfather is in his sixties riddled with arthritis and diabetes he can barely hear anymore yet he hold on I look up to him every day knowing he needs a good rest.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Being kind is the greatest gift. I would talk to him and listen. I wished I spend time with my elde.. read more
Raylene

7 Years Ago

Anytime coyote :)
What a loving tribute to your dad. I am touched by your knowledge and wisdom. "Many cultures live together without violence and we do our best to get along. Freedom had cost a lot. Many good men and women died so we can be free. The old wars were fought for us to know freedom and chance." Thank you for this important reminder.


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Celie. People had forgot the old wars. So many died for us to have a fair chance.
Coyote,
As always, I am moved by the emotion in your writing and the sincerity. Your stories can really be felt deeply and you bring us so much wisdom.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you my friend for reading and the comment.
A loving tribute to your father. It is wonderful that you mark the day with such remembrance:)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

We must remember the people who made us solid. Thank you Pryde for reading and the comment.
Altho most of your writings are honest & revealing, this one is particularly beautiful in the way you're revealing so many of the early influences in your life, as conveyed thru your relationship with your dad. When a writer reveals deep truths with such tenderness, it's actually better than making love, I think. This is the kind of writing that sparks all our senses & feelings, even if we haven't been in these same situations, or felt these same feelings . . . we can all relate it to something we've known before, that's similar . . . and your messages provide such a bridge, such a connection, bringing us together . . . which is what this world needs more of, these days (((HUGS)))

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you my friend. People, who saw and know war. Become men and women seeking peace.
does need some editing, but wow...what a tribute to him...and also a statement of what war does to us...those who serve in the worst places come back so different...loss of friends so devastating...
going to the bottle for relief...the ghosts, the demons...just trying to find ways to survive...

and i can imagine the scene when you re-enlisted...and how sad he was to see some of himself in you...

this is so moving, Coyote.

j.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Jacob. I appreciate the comment and I will edit.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

554 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 1, 2016
Last Updated on July 1, 2016

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


He will be... He will be...

A Poem by Gee