The earth, the sky and the water.

The earth, the sky and the water.

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

Old poem written in 1992 and rewritten today.

"
 



                              The earth, the sky and the water

I found my Apache friend at the Fort Hood entrance.  I brought him some fruit and some coffee. He saw the sadness in my face this day. He told me. "Johnnie, you have come a long way. Touch five continents and saw so many places. You made many friends and you have learn so much.  I see the disappointment in your face. I understand your place. Took me many years to find the place of teacher and to know laughter. You believe you have learn little and you believe your life was a useless journey. You didn't do enough. Today we will tap drums together for the dead warriors, the earth, the sky and water."

I told him. I have punished myself for the hunger to see, to feel and know everything in life that can be felt. I forgot my brothers who killed themselves, left family and I wanted new places and people. I can't find forgiveness for leaving so many things behind.

My Apache friend Joseph. His face darken by the Texas sun and his old eyes always kind and gentle. He lite the pipe of tobacco . Took a deep swallow of the smoke and he passed the pipe to me. He told me. "The sun will rise daily and the moon will fall into the sea. Every dawn bring a new chance to do the proper things. We are not locked-in by hate and regret. Unless you built a wall of fear. Can you walk? Is your mind still strong? Can you breath and talk? Then you must be liked the mountain. Able to take the burdens of the seasons. Stand strong and solid and live with the things that were done and cannot be changed."

I told my friend. Old way and habit are hard to break. Can one man change his world? I fear more for the coming generation. What is left for them?

He smiled and he told me. "You can't stop the storms, you can't control the sea. The earth will move when the earth want. Men are like the earth, the sky and the water. Free to make the right or wrong decisions. You cannot control the will of men. We must do what we can. We must teach our children to be strong. To seek education and know freedom. Become the elder who showed the children. All life had value. One earth and one people. We must seek peace.

I left my friend. His eyes looked tired and he gave hope to so many. The kindness had drained his soul, but he waved goodbye and I see his large hopeful smile. I feel peace in my mind and heart.

I climbed a large hill. I sat and I watched the dust come. I pray. Kind earth, the sky and the water. Give me the strength to do the right things. My regret and hate seem less heavy as I walk back to my truck. I looked to the rising moon and I told her. Please bring peace and calm to my world. One earth and one people. We must get along for the sake of the children.
                                  John Castellenas/Coyote



© 2016 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
just words.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Another fine write, Coyote.....

Once again you have given us a story straight from the heart of your experience, soaked in sentiment and words of wisdom. You have written well about your hopes and fears, disappointments and expectations. The piece is filled with many turns of phrase that one can savour and adaptedly use in their own lives.

Always well written, wise words from a gentle soul. I appreciate your work and words.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Dooley. I appreciate the comment.



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Another fine write, Coyote.....

Once again you have given us a story straight from the heart of your experience, soaked in sentiment and words of wisdom. You have written well about your hopes and fears, disappointments and expectations. The piece is filled with many turns of phrase that one can savour and adaptedly use in their own lives.

Always well written, wise words from a gentle soul. I appreciate your work and words.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Dooley. I appreciate the comment.
this's quite phenomenal. very versatile, & worth-reading. some of the points are one of my fav. when you say: "men are like the earth, the sky & the water. free to make choices/decisions -- right & wrong." it's quite captivating. and written with very deep thinking. nice shot!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Adams. I was lucky. I was station three years in California and five years in Texas. I'm 1.. read more
Adam Adams

7 Years Ago

then i must say, you be one lucky enough... at this who finally encounter-ed happiness, & understood.. read more
This is very beautiful. It sends a powerful message, Change is inevitable with times and Acceptance necessary for survival. Very insightful. Thank you for this.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and the comment. One earth and one people. We must get along.
ManasaC

7 Years Ago

Very true! You are welcome
Your poem is so moving and deep. This has such amazing lessons and it was a pleasure just to read it. You did a wonderful job because in such a small amount of word, you managed to tell a story and teach lessons in the process. Perfect!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Annie. I appreciate the comment.
I would quote your work in this review, but I'd only be repeating your poem to the very last word. This poem is gorgeous, and has such deep meanings embedded into it. Your writing is phenomenally breathtaking and each word is one step more into the world you create in such little time. The deep meaning and lessons as well of life, that it doesn't stop for anyone, and we must keep going with it no matter what. Really moving, and touching. Again, beautiful work!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and I agree. Good people cannot give-up. Worthwhile dreams and hope must be ex.. read more
Lovely John and thinking of September 11, I am glad I chose it to read. Valentine

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

I' glad you read the words. 9-11 can bring a great sadness. So many good lost too soon.
"Then you must be liked the mountain." from the 3rd paragraph, I believe "liked" is suppose to be "like"
"Old way and habit are hard to break." following paragraph, "old ways" perhaps instead of "old way"?
"The earth will move when the earth want." following paragraph "wants"? - there's also no closing quotation mark for that paragraph.

Lovely piece, enjoyed the read :) full of wisdom


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Astrid for the help and reading. I will repair on Wednesday.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
1VJ
Poetry of a fiercely poignant nature, mankind tries to control that which is not in his power, and pays little attention to those he could affect. You write with such intensity of the heart and soul, amazing, I am extremely touched by your words.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Paloma. I appreciate the kind words.
NOW THIS IS A WRITE, this is amazing! love your stories. This is sincere packed with wisdom.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Kitseth. Would be a better world if we learn. We must treat nature and life with respect.
I am covered in goose bumps! This message is so profound & so timeless . . . maybe even more applicable today than when you wrote it many years ago the first time around. I love when that happens, when something we write at one point in our lives, it becomes even more meaningful later, as we evolve & recognize so much more than we once did. This is one of your best writings. I love the way you use a conversation to convey wisdom & lessons, becuz it doesn't sound preachy . . . very accessible & comfortable to accept & learn from.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you dear friend. Most of us must learn the hard way.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

734 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on August 18, 2016
Last Updated on August 20, 2016

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


He will be... He will be...

A Poem by Gee