Michigan

Michigan

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

Just words.

"
 

               Michigan

Promises made and promises broken. Left me where I started. I left you in Michigan trying to find the place where I could feel alive. I found wars, new cities and drank strong drink in 40 countries. Years later I sat outside your house and I saw you and your baby girl. Dancing and so damn happy.

My regret is I never said goodbye to you. You were the girl I dreamed about for 10 years and I never stopped to appreciate your kindness given. I remembered I sat and watched you from a distance.  I left you be. Sad books and story need to be closed forever. I had no words to say to a kind woman who try to hold down a hurricane.

Today I sit in a South American tavern. I wonder did Hemingway miss anything? Did he yearn for a sweet woman somewhere? Did you wished he held on to someone?

I go outside. Allow the tropical heat to warm-up my mind and body. I tell the night stars. I'm sorry for being a man who loved no-one, who love the new cities and who wanted the sea.  He wanted the mountains and the kiss of strangers. Dear Michigan. I did not forget you.

                           John Castellenas/Coyote






© 2016 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
Just words

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like the angles you used here. Firstly, the woman/city, but also the return. Most people think about the place that means most from a distance, as you did, but for the story to unfold as you being returned was a very nice touch indeed. I think Hemingway would have had his own reflections and if only's too.

Posted 7 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

I agree and thank you for reading.
Lorry

7 Years Ago

You're very welcome.



Reviews

I connected to this piece. Especially these lines,
"I'm sorry for being a man who loved no-one, who love the new cities and who wanted the sea. He wanted the mountains and the kiss of strangers."
I still long for the new cities, sea and want the mountains. Although, I now found love and no longer a "man who loved no-one" as you say. I enjoyed reading this. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Madison. Most of learn to stop and find some comfort. It is sad to die alone.
There cannot be a single person on this planet who has not had such regrets; and you articulate this perfectly in this so easy to relate to poem.

Beccy.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Beccy. You are right. Most of left things in the lost and found.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Very neat work!

This does channel the spirit of Hemingway; to live a life on a wandering cloud, always travelling, meeting new people, meeting new lovers, and then moving on and leaving it all behind again. It is a bittersweet existence. A life is fully lived, but many regrets can also be had in the twilight of that life. You have written of such a life quite wonderfully in this piece.

As always, well written, heartfelt and poignant in theme and scope. Very nice work!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you my friend. Hemingway did leave so much behind. He, like Dante. Had a love he couldn't forg.. read more
You are a compelling blend of being a nostalgic hometown kinda guy, but also very much the rolling stone wanderer seeking adventure & provocative situations. I think I've had this same affliction most of my life. I could never settle down, always wanting to try new things in all areas of life, yet now I am forcibly "settled down" & there's only tons of time to review my regrets. I like the tone of your writing when you peruse your regrets - not too mopey, but just an appreciative longing. Your writing finds the perfect balance between regret & acceptance. It makes for excellent contrast.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you my friend. We can't repair the error of the past. We learn accept them and if we are wise... read more
This poem is full of feeling especially the nostalgia one. I still wonder how a man will wish to love no one. Although we still understand that there is still love. Love is alway stronger to occupy the viod of loneliness. Well articulated peice full of meaning and understanding. Well done, Sir!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Some people love the road more than love my friend and thank you for reading and the comment.
People, places and memories, they leave their mark on us, as well as we leave our mark on this life.

Great work!



Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

I agree Sarah and thank you for reading and the comment.
Not just words John, one of your best writes. I loved it. Valentine

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you dear friend. I appreciate the kind words.
A very good write, Coyote. There is an implicit honesty in this write.
An emotional piece with a story is always great to read.
Life goes on with or without regrets !!
Thank you for sharing.
keep writing!!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

You are right. Life is always moving with regret or not. Thank you Gorthi for reading and the commen.. read more
I have been on the other side of this equation. Hoping that he did regret the non-goodbye. That made me smile, a little.:)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

I had a few. A soldiers keep being shipped away too often. Thank you my friend for reading and the c.. read more
Chasing war...drinks in 40 countries....a true writer. Excellent words here

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Brian. I appreciate he comment.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

606 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 27, 2016
Last Updated on September 29, 2016

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..