Locked and loaded

Locked and loaded

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

War. What is it good for? Nothing.

"
                                      Locked and loaded
The old Soldiers knows. The madness of youth was the temptation of sweet wine and the fighting and dying for something worthwhile. It was their strength and their weakness.

A old soldier slowly drink his whiskey  and he tell his stories to willing ears. He tell strangers. The savageness of war is accepting and denial in old age. He talks of places where the grass and the sand was drenched in blood without emotion. Like a story from a book or another life.

The old soldiers gather. Men haunted by war need people who understand war is s**t and many men died for freedom. A high price paid for the new generation who gave-up their rights of freedom without a fight.

Dimly lighted bars, hide somber faces. The blackness of war must face the light. The old soldiers tell the kids. Don't wish for war. You may get your wish. Us soldiers fought for men with no concern for the young men and women. War is defined differently today. Old days. We fought to defend ourselves. If we were attacked. We were willing to fight and die for our country. Today we fight for strangers who rarely appreciate our actions and help. We allowed war contractors to become wealthy with the blood of our young people.

The old soldier drank a cold beer for his friends killed in the Iraq sand. He raised his beer high to the sky and he talked to a ghostly memory. I haven't forgot you old friends. Today I must live for you and me. We, who had lived must tell the story of great and brave men. One day I will find you and us old Soldiers will find a saloon in paradise. Drink to pretty women, children and the good day.

                               John Castellenas/Coyote


© 2016 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
Just words

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"wealthy with the blood of our young people" makes me think that those people would DRINK their blood if they could make a dollar from it. This is a thoughtful piece and it really speaks for what is going on right now in the world. Those poor soldiers, always "fighting and dying for something worthwhile", may they find peace somewhere, either here or in the afterlife

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

I pray for this often. I hope the soldiers have found a better place to rest. Thank you dear friend .. read more



Reviews

The young have a view of the world that is glorified by the movies and tv shows they watch. It is not like that, and it is not a game. You cannot rewind or start over. Death is final, heartache is forever.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you my friend for reading and you are right. War only create great sadness and more hate to b.. read more
So many soldiers still fighting that war in their heads, and at home still fighting for decent health care. Valentine

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

You are right my friend. It is sad we mess up the young people minds by teaching war to them.
How true! Gone are the "glorious days of war". Days when we knew what and who ,we were fighting for. Only those who've been there know the horrible truth. War is no picnic, I've often wondered how attractive the movies glorifying would be if they could just insert the horrible smells of war. Smells of burning flesh, rotting corpses on the torn up battlefield.
The old soldiers you speak of know the truth and you express it so well.


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Dave. I saw the spoil of wars. Like you said. If men saw real photos of war. War wouldn't .. read more
Ken Simm.

7 Years Ago

You are right. I cannot think of an occasion where war has helped anyone. Certainly not those who fo.. read more
I'm always amazed at war stories so to speak because my father who was in Vietnam never shared much about that time. I understand why. You certainly hit a spotwith me in this writing. Thanks for sharing

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Vietnam Veterans. No sweet tale to tell. Better to forget. The Vietnam veterans and the Korea war ve.. read more
The sentiments of this write speak for itself. It was such a pleasure to read and more then the seriousness of the write I was pleasantly blown away just to read one of your writes again John. Wow it's been too long. I will always love your style and how you speak from Heart, Mind and Spirit. Thanks for not changing and staying you but yet always improving you.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you my friend. Writing is constant learning and if we are lucky. We can improve.
Well done coyote. I particularly like the last bit, "Drink to pretty women, children and the good day."

Short and sweet, couldn't be better.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Xuru. I appreciate the comment.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
Coyote, I enjoyed this, its beautifully sad...the impact of war has many tendrils. You paint with vivid imagery. Starz

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Starzy. I appreciate the comment.
Beautiful, heartbreaking words. The tragedy of war is all the victims, civilian and soldier alike, alive and dead. Thank you for sharing.
- minor notes: drinks and tells as opposed to drink and tell

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you dear friend for reading and the help.
An awesome story spun with great rhythm , drama and picturesque comparisons . great piece:)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you. Real life poetry break our heart.
Iraq (in my opinion) has been completely mismanaged ...very much as Viet Nam was ...but at least back then you could shoot those who were attacking you without special permission ..things have certainly changed as you say ...at least the attacks of ISIS are limited on our own great USA .. i believe that peace and love is the only way to get along; but as long as there are those out there that would bash down my door and bash in the heads of my family ..i will shoot first ;) i think we need to get out or get in the war with ISIS .. stop playing around with those lives you speak of.
E.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Einstein Noodle

7 Years Ago

and we are not even getting respect from those we are trying to help ..:}
Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

I dislike Trump. But he is right. Time to lock the doors of the USA and we need to fix this country... read more
Einstein Noodle

7 Years Ago

no it isn't ... ever! best of the day to ya my friend!

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1331 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 3, 2016
Last Updated on December 3, 2016

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..