Don't pray for dead men. Pray for the live ones.

Don't pray for dead men. Pray for the live ones.

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

Just words.

"
Forget your personal tragedy. We are all bitched from the start and you especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt use it"don’t cheat with it. Be as faithful to it as a scientist"but don’t think anything is of importance because it happens to you or anyone who belongs to you. About this time I wouldn’t blame you if you gave me a burst. Jesus, it’s marvellous to tell other people how to write, live, die, etc.--Hemingway

They wrote in the old days that it is sweet and fitting to die for one’s country. But in modern war there is nothing sweet nor fitting in your dying. You will die like a dog for no good reason.--Hemingway

“Older men declare war. But it is youth that must fight and die.”
Herbert Hoover

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.”
Voltaire

                           Don't pray for dead men. Pray for the live ones.


I stood with alone with my friend. A flag and photo for my missed friend on Memorial day. I told him. His girls are strong and beautiful. He is a Grandfather and the boys look like him. I whispered. I miss you my good friend. Old timers come near and pat my back. We stand in silence together. 

The old timers talked of the old wars. They don't talk about the bad days. They talk about the good days. The days of drinking, laughing and celebrating life.  One of them looked sad and he told me. Only good thing about war. It make home so much sweeter and worthwhile. After I fought in Vietnam. My Detroit became wonderful and so damn beautiful. I came home and I thanks God for home and my family.

The soldiers come early on Memorial day. They stand with their memories and with men who understand the cost of war.



A WW2 Veteran offered his hand and he told me his name was Paul. I offered my hand and I told him my name is John. He held my hand a long time and he told me. John, you can't forget the men lost to the wars but John. Don't pray for the dead soldiers. They have found peace and they are with their brother soldiers  in paradise. We need to pray for the live soldiers. We need to pray daily and demand for peace over war.  Us, who saw war and gave their youth away for the hate of war. We must be the voice of sanity.

Memorial day is coming. Wars are alive and well in our world. Let's pray our leaders learn kindness, concern and forgiveness. Allow this world to heal. Wounds can heal with the gift of water, food and medicine. Let's pray no guns are being used today and the soldiers are coming home. Let's pray we allow the soldiers to not learn blood and death. Please Lord of life and death. Allow the children to be children. To dance, sing and know laughter when youth is their wealth.

                           John Castellenas/Coyote

                           

© 2017 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
I hate war.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I may slightly differ with your point of view on war, but I agree 100% that a battle solely fought out of greed, vanity and the senseless pursuit of power only brings pain and confusion to the families that receive a folded flag to their homes. I'm sorry for your loss and may you never have to feel this type of pain again.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

I hope not and I know I will. I have many grandchildren and a bad world I left for them. If we don'.. read more
Jesie Lamb

6 Years Ago

On the contrary, thank you Mr. Coyote for your service and beautiful poetry.



Reviews

I put this in my reading library a couple weeks ago & then I pull it out on -- of all days -- Memorial Day! This is so fitting! I also hate war. I've had a hard time on holidays that seem to be a celebration of war. I want to honor the soldiers, but I don't want to celebrate war. Your observations help me understand better why veterans celebrate days like today by gathering together: "stand with men who understand the cost of war" . . . and the ending is filled with strong words of changing the way we think about solving the world's problems. Always love & relate to your ideas about fighting & war.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

Thank you dear friend for reading and the comment. We know. No winners in war.
I totally agree, amen to that! Your writing and pictures are so poignant and obviously heart felt. And indeed, allow the children to be children. But, in this un-peaceful world, it is possible to find inner peace. If everybody did that, I don't think there would be any more wars!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

I agree dear friend. We must seek anti-violence ways to create peace.
Loved this, John. Great pictures as well. War is the most senseless, backwards part of our very modern society. It's unfortunate that the people in power are so enraptured by it...Thank you for serving.



Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

Thank you Brian. I agree. No-one win in war.
John - it is good - to hate - war. Fortunately I've never directly experienced it myself. But I have seen how devastating it has been for many close friends.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

Thank you Dave. No winner in war.
I may slightly differ with your point of view on war, but I agree 100% that a battle solely fought out of greed, vanity and the senseless pursuit of power only brings pain and confusion to the families that receive a folded flag to their homes. I'm sorry for your loss and may you never have to feel this type of pain again.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

I hope not and I know I will. I have many grandchildren and a bad world I left for them. If we don'.. read more
Jesie Lamb

6 Years Ago

On the contrary, thank you Mr. Coyote for your service and beautiful poetry.
Amazing...I'm speechless. You are 100% right. We must pray for the soldiers who are still alive there to come back home safely. War must stop, it can't give any goodness for us. Fight for peace through peaceful, not through violence.

I will say this is the best poem that I have ever read. Thank you for this heart touching piece.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

You are very kind. We cannot forget the dream of peace. Too late for us. I pray we can leave a bette.. read more
Meshalini

6 Years Ago

Yesss... I agree..
I agree completely!
I always thought that when I was sixty all war would be forbidden and no one would kill another just for the fun of feeling they are "powerful, big and proud"!
well I thought that love and peace would win over hate!
in a way i hope and try to believe one day it will!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

I pray we don't forget. With greedy men seeking profit over war. No profit in peace for contractors... read more
angelina neves

6 Years Ago

pleasure is mine!
Yes, we have to hope the world will heal and that no more soldiers will die. Such a powerful write, John. Brings to mind the song from the 70's..."War, what is it good for? Absolutely nothing!" The children of the world need peace! Heartfelt words here. Lydi**

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

I agree dear Lydia. Need leaders seeking peace over profit.
there certainly is a science to writing about pain and hurt----you do it so well, my friend.

I hate war, as well.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

Yes Jacob. I'm tire of war. Thank you for reading and the comment.
Coyote, this is such a beautiful tribute and personal story from your heart! My father was a WW2 Vet. He never spoke about it. After he died, I found out he was awarded medals. He never wanted them. Yes, We have to pray for the living. The dead took their stories with them and found peace. Thank you for your wonderful, wise and spiritual words. You guide us forward. I pray for peace along with you every day. I pray for our childrens' protection along with you every day. Thank you my friend.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

Thank you Annette. I pray daily for peace. I hope we don't learn what our Grandparent learned too we.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

442 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 16, 2017
Last Updated on May 16, 2017

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..