Black as the night

Black as the night

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

Just words

"
               



                             Black as the night

Once we were sweet and beautiful. We feared nothing and we loved the song and the dance. You and I drank the Johnnie Walker Black Label whiskey straight nightly and sucked life dried. Leaving only dry-up bone and rough-up skin and body.

You were a Texas beauty who loved the Austin city nights and free-falling into places forgotten when the morning lights appeared. You told me in the bliss of kiss and the long ride. I love what you do to me Johnnie. You and I never spoke of love and we didn't know regret. You whispered to me often in the midnight hour. Time for war, time for love and time for us to accept who we are.

I called you my black hearten beauty, who loved the hard whiskey and the men who left before the sunrise. I knew how you had fallen. Once sweet and gentle. Life had stole away all your kindness and left you for dead. I remember you found me drinking the long Island ice teas at the Jazz club in Austin. I was alone and I wasn't seeking anyone or anything. You asked me. What do you want soldier? Love or just enough?

I wrote on a napkin.
--

I was born alone and I was born sick.
Mama left me and I lived in the foster homes.
Life made me know.
You are born alone and you will die alone.
Expect little and you will know little disappointment.
I'm black as the night and better to drank the whiskey.
Dance to the deadly songs of accepting enough and
keep the old heart in the deep freeze.
Know no love, know no sadness.

---
I gave her the poem and she read my words. She was wearing a short black dress and tank-top showing gentle shoulders. The hot Summer Austin, Texas days make the sirens come out and play. Her dark brown eyes rose from the poem and she asked. Are you a pretender. Will you whisper you need and love me when the dawn showed-up? I smiled at her and I told her.

I have known love. I have known hate and I have danced with the devil often. War didn't kill me and love almost did. You are safe with me my Texas beauty. I don't bleed no-more and I liked your dangerous smile and long legs.

She took my Long Island ice tea and she drank her down and she asked. I drink Johnny Walker whiskey and I like to dance to Willie and Hank. If you  feel safe with me. Let's find the dance-hall and drink some whiskey. I don't want love or kindness. I just want to be held and not be alone tonight.

I ordered two doubles of the Johnny Walker whiskey and I gave my best Michigan smile. I told her. Would be my honor to drink and dance with you tonight. I love Willie and Hank too.  We need the drinking song to make us move with the music and the whiskey to forget what we left behind.

We drank the whiskey and two people found the dance-hall and just enough.

                         John Castellenas/Coyote





© 2017 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
Just words.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A wonderful story of true romance and living life to the fullest. Austin is a special city in the collective music scene where many talents were produced. I love sixth street for I have some memories there. An excellent way of bringing this special lady and events into focus...:).............

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

Thank you Sami for reading. Austin is a great city. Always alive and filled with life.
Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

So true. You are welcome. ...:::))))



Reviews

You pulled me right into this vivid scene. The way you described the loneliness but the not accepting of it was very done.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

Thank you Richard. I appreciate the comment.
Joe Bonamassa-one of my favorite musicians! And Johnny Walker Black- my father's favorite drink. So this poem really resonates with me my friend."War didn't kill me and love almost did. You are safe with me.." superb line. Your "Texas beauty" was lucky to have you Coyote!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

Thank you Annette. A Texas lady is always a blessing.
Sometimes, we write little stories.
Ones we don't share.
On a napkin,
or maybe in a letter.
Knowing they may not be read.

Sorry,
I blame the music.



Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

Good song make us write my friend. Thank you Jon for reading and the comment.
Gone are the days when people write beautiful words on napkins.... somehow text doesn't seem to do it! your nostalgia touches and captures the essence of romance.... thank you for this.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

I don't know. When I can. I still write some poetry on a napkin. Just need proper setting and people.. read more
When life was young and so were we....everything was different then....or was it? The romance in this is wonderful, John. Beautifully written. Lydi**

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

Thank you Lydia for reading and the comment. I do appreciate.
A wonderful story of true romance and living life to the fullest. Austin is a special city in the collective music scene where many talents were produced. I love sixth street for I have some memories there. An excellent way of bringing this special lady and events into focus...:).............

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

Thank you Sami for reading. Austin is a great city. Always alive and filled with life.
Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

So true. You are welcome. ...:::))))
Very Tantalizing piece Coyote kept me immersed the whole time as always ...

;)

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

Thank you my friend for reading and the comment. Those tavern can bring out the dark souls.
Farmgirl

6 Years Ago

So true.. ive been there in that world and lifestyle they sure can ...
ah when life was jazz, and it played till early mornin' as we sucked it dry...and kissed each other into dawn---
love was free and easy then---but we grew up and grew older...and less bolder.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

I liked your verses my friend and thank you Jacob for reading and the comment.
This is more than words.....much i known from this about life...Thank you John for sharing....I loved it...:)

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

Thank you Surya. I appreciate the comment.
Indeed as always the dark fringes of life and love explored in an honest but stark portrayal of the deep, unforgiving places people often find themselves within.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

Austin, Texas. A young man paradise and thank you John for reading and the comment.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

287 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 21, 2017
Last Updated on July 21, 2017

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..