The payment is due

The payment is due

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

Just words

"
                       The payment is due

"Bacchus blessing are a treasure;
Drinking is a soldier's pleasure;
Rich the treasure,
sweet the pleasure;
Sweet is pleasure after pain."
John Dryden


I told the pretty Texas girl at the Belton, Texas dance hall. I was last year man and the payment is due. We were dancing the Texas two-step with proper flow and I kept her at a proper distance.

I knew she was fifteen and her dear mother a good friend. I met her mother three years ago and she always gave me kind words and concern for my safety. She would write letters and send me packages when I was deployed.

She asked me. If you despise your life. Why don't you quit? Leave the Army?  I told her. I followed my father path and I obeyed the call to war. I forsaken my family and love.  I learn too late. You can't return to where you left.

Her pretty hazel eyes boldly stared into my eyes and she whispered. You can walk and you can talk. You can think and you can drink.  You have accepted a silent stand. Rage and hate had made you forget your true face and you swim in the glasses of the Long Island ice teas. It is no-one fault except the face you face every morning in the mirror.

I read a few lines from John Gay to her.
"
Let us drink and sport today,
Ours is not tomorrow.
Love with youth flies swiftly away,
Age is nought but sorrow,
Time's on the wing.
Life never knows the return of Spring"

She laughed at my words and in a deep Southern Texas accent. She told me. My mama told me men are foolish. They want to dance, sing and drink into the midnight hours. They rarely show rare face and they will forsaken their real dreams. Men love the unknown, the mystery and they want a tragic death. Johnnie, I wrote a poem for you.

"Ring the bells,
There is no-more wars.
The soldiers cannot move no-more.
The soldiers are all dead.
The politicians are mute now.
Bullets sold, killed them.
The people are silence now.
Nature is rebirthing and the wastefulness is forgotten and gone"
Cecilia--

I laughed at her words and I told her. Dear Cecilia, you are right kind lady. I'm not dead yet and you mirror your dear mother. You won't allow me to decay and be forgotten. You are a Texas blessing. You and you dear mother.

She smiled at me and she told me. We must atone dear Johnnie. A wise person seek a place of peace and calm. Soldiers know blood and more blood. Please don't re-enlist. Please become the beautiful poet I can see. Don't allow your heart to treason hope and dreams. The real fortune is knowing love and forgiving the bad deeds given and received.

The song ended and I kissed her forehead and I told her. Thank you Cecilia for your concern and kindness. I will quit the service. Cecilia smiled.

                     John Castellenas/Coyote





© 2017 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
Just words.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What I really like and respect about Your style that it's easy to read, one starts reading and suddenly finishes! some really smart lines, filled with thought , I felt my self I'm in a scene or chapter of a book, reminded me with (Gone With the Wind) book while reading. Thank You*

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

Thank you my friend. I appreciate the kind words.



Reviews

You truly take glimpses of life, of loving, of all that is awakening to the moment and to every moment after and recreate this time to take us all back to. Thank you so much for sharing, my friend.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

Thank you my friend for reading and the comment. I do appreciate.
An owl on the moon

6 Years Ago

I always am moved through your journeys.
What I really like and respect about Your style that it's easy to read, one starts reading and suddenly finishes! some really smart lines, filled with thought , I felt my self I'm in a scene or chapter of a book, reminded me with (Gone With the Wind) book while reading. Thank You*

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

Thank you my friend. I appreciate the kind words.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 9, 2017
Last Updated on September 9, 2017

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing