San Francisco, Monterey and Big Sur

San Francisco, Monterey and Big Sur

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

A special place.

"


kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
                             
                                          San Francisco, Monterey and Big Sur
The year 1992, I left the Iraq border for New Jersey.  I spend three months at Fort Dix, N.J. in the Winter months. I was attached to a reserve unit and I had no orders. While I waited for my new orders. I went to the Winter Atlantic many times. She was dangerous, wonderful and cold. After three months, I received orders for Fort Ord, California. I loved the Atlantic and I promised myself to return to the eastern Atlantic shore and swim into her arms.

I drove home to Michigan first. I spend two weeks with the family. I left Michigan in late March for Fort Ord, California.  I decided to make the road-trip a five day journey. I stopped in four cities and states, I wanted to see and spend time in. I drank some beer in each city and I roamed each cities for 6-8 hours each. The long road-trip allowed me to regain my mind and my thoughts.

I remembered I had to stay one extra day in Reno. The mountain to cross. Snow-end. I liked Reno, small city, alive, wild and crazy. I remember seeing Sacramento coming down the mountain. No snow and sunny. I made it to California and I was content to see her.

My first stop in California was San Francisco. Peaceful city and kind people. I fell in love with the city and the Pacific. At the Fisherman Wharf, I ate seafood and I watched the sea. I drank my coffee and wrote poetry for the powerful and beautiful Pacific. I looked at the setting sun and I thanks the gods of life and death for my orders for California.

I left San Francisco for the two hour drive to Fort ord.  I arrived at 9 pm on a Friday night. Young soldiers signed me in, gave me a room and he told me. Hello, goodbye and see you at 9am on Monday.

I dropped off my belonging in my room and I went to Monterey. I walked the beach for one hour. She was the most beautiful place I ever seen. Small city on the Monterey bay. I went to the Monterey Fisherman wharf and I ordered a beer and a whiskey. Near me were three surfers, two young men and a young woman. Tan skin, muscles everywhere, drinking and talking loud. I sat without speaking. I watched the sea and I enjoyed the escape from the truck. The female surfer smiled at me and she told her friend. Never met a quiet soldier and they laughed. I turned to them and I saw. Three wild people smiling at me. I told them, just arrived tonight. Left Iraq in December and I am here now. One of them reached out his hand and he told him. My name is Jack and my ugly friend is Paulie. The pretty girl is Rachel, the wonder girl. She told him. You did good, you ain't dead. You will love California.

Rachel reached out her hand and she asked. Where you from? I told them. My name is Johnnie and I am from Michigan. Rachel smiled at her friends and she asked. You got some wheels and some gas? I told her. A Dakota truck that fit four with no trouble. Paulie looked at Jack and he told him. Maybe Johnnie needs to see God's country. Rachel smiled and she looked at me. She told me. We need some excitement. We have no wheel, got some cash and we need a adventure. Are you in? I smiled and I told her yes.

Jack told me. Need some beer and some booze. I drove to the base. We bought five gallons of rum, whiskey and Tequila. Two cases of beer and some cigarettes.  They were very content. Cheap payment for drink at the P.X.  We loaded-up the truck and we drove the hour drive to Big Sur. I stopped three times. It was God's country. No cities, the sea in view and beautiful landscape. Quiet.

My new friends laugh and sang with Jim Morrison. We arrived at Pfiefer beach at 1am. One small sign for the entrance. We carry the beer and drink down a lonely path that led to perfect beauty. Large rocks surrounded the small bay and the water was kicking. They dropped beer and the drink, stripped down to their underwear. They ran toward the sea. They were dancing with the waves. Rachel ran back to me in her bra and panties and she smiled and she told me. Best stripped down to your underwear and enjoy the sea. She hugged me, kissed my face and she ran toward her friends.

I stripped-down to my boxers and I watched the three dance, laugh and sing with the sea. I looked at the moon and the stars. I thank them for the kind people and my new home California. I joined them.

              Johnnie
 

 

© 2018 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
Just words.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Johnnie - you really sound like the kind of guy that easily makes friends. You seem to fit in wherever you go. You were stationed, for a while at Ft. Dix. It's about 45 min. from my home now. There is something special about the Jersey shore. I think I told you that I was born and raised in Atlantic City.
I never got to Big Sur, but I fell in love with San Francisco, move over Tony.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you Dave. One day, I will visit the Eastern Atlantic in the Summer. I bet a wonderful site.
Dave

5 Years Ago

I'm still in N.J. but about 11/2 hours from A.C. My oldest daughter and four grandsons live in N.C... read more



Reviews

Really wonderful write, insightful really.
I kinda chuckled at this part though "I ate seafood and I watched the sea"
seafood & watching the sea.
Awesome write.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Just Kim

5 Years Ago

I lived in CA for 10 years. Riverside. It was pretty. Loved the beaches.
Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

The Pacific. Beautiful and perfect. My brother lived in Riverside in the eighties.
Just Kim

5 Years Ago

the i did from 87 to 97
I have never been to California, but after reading this wonderful story, I really would like to go there one day. You brought me back to the 60's with the sights and the music references here. Everyone was into peace, love, and music. Those were the days. Very well written. Lydi***

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

I visit California for 12 days in May. Still beautiful and wonderful. I spend a day at Big Sur. You .. read more
Hey Johnnie, you got such a way of using words... I fell in love with San Francisco too, although I was only there for a couple of weeks (stayed in the Knob Hill Hotel on Knob Hill)... it seems we ate seafood at the same Fisherman's Wharf too... it was easy to fall in love with that place and your words take me back there... I just love the autobiographical recollections and overall flavour of this fantastic and most recent write..... my last posting by the way was in Gan.. a dry nasty little island somewhere in the Indian Ocean full of old oil and petrol barrels, oh and an old donkey.... Go Well my brother.... Neville

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you Neville for reading and the comment. Good to have many adventures. I hope to have some mor.. read more
Neville

5 Years Ago

My pleasure.. and I am sure there will be many more adventures for you, just hope I get to hear abou.. read more
Johnnie - you really sound like the kind of guy that easily makes friends. You seem to fit in wherever you go. You were stationed, for a while at Ft. Dix. It's about 45 min. from my home now. There is something special about the Jersey shore. I think I told you that I was born and raised in Atlantic City.
I never got to Big Sur, but I fell in love with San Francisco, move over Tony.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you Dave. One day, I will visit the Eastern Atlantic in the Summer. I bet a wonderful site.
Dave

5 Years Ago

I'm still in N.J. but about 11/2 hours from A.C. My oldest daughter and four grandsons live in N.C... read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

246 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 13, 2018
Last Updated on August 13, 2018

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing