The Lover, A Soldier prayer.

The Lover, A Soldier prayer.

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

Soldier goes off to War. Need kind and sweet memories to keep them human.

"


                     The Lover (A soldier prayer)
 
Poor boys and men.
Roads lead to War.

 
Young woman with a  sweet smile.
Silk dress.
Smelling like sweet flowers.

 
Whisper,  "let's dance tonight.
You shall go to War."

 
"Tonight we need to create photos for the heart."

 
"Memories to keep you warm when you are lonely and afraid."

 
Young man brings the sweet Angel close.
Whisper kind words of love and thankfulness.

 
Soldier stand alone.
Cleans his M-16.
Death is all around him.

 
He closes his eyes.
He remembered.
The smell of flowers.
The feel of the silk dress.

 
The sweet smile of his love.

 
Keeps him human.

 
                  John Castellenas
                  4 April 2009
 
 
 

© 2011 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
I stood alone on guard duty on the border of Iraq. Didn't think of War. I thought of beautiful faces and family.
Coyote

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Do a little soldier poetry myself ...fought the demons and the devil, walked the trail and waded the rivers, ...you stuff is good, Soldier stand alone. Cleans his M-16. Death is all around him. nice verse, working on some new stuff ....keep writing and posting
E Wells KY

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Cryingkate

9 Years Ago

Hope you made it home Dear Soldier E.Leo Wells ! I send you a Thank you for your service for all of.. read more



Reviews

This is a very poignant piece, wreathed in solitude and longing and remembrance. I enjoyed the imagery you used, saying that "tonight we need to create photo's for the heart" - in life we find that we must do that from time to time to overcome the negative things that we sometimes face. Thank you for sharing this with us Coyote.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This warms my heart. I am going to Marine boot camp either this february or the summertime. I also have a girl who will be waiting for me. Excellent poem.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

First off, all of my respect goes out to you for serving our country, John. I come from a family of war vets, so I have an immediate sense of appreciation for anyone who made that sacrifice. Secondly, this really touched me. The wording and phrasing, plus the way you convey these memories is absolutely heartbreaking. Can't wait to read more of your work.

Posted 14 Years Ago


War engulfs sensitivity....but the spirit within saves the day
We fight for what we believe....there is little more to say
Though if we survive to fight on
The memory of our effort will never be gone
Enjoin the battle....you will be glad you did

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was a very beautiful piece. I can see that in times of war how comforting it would be to think of one's family and people who have touched this person somehow. Excellent piece.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

John, good images here that evoke the subject of war!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this is powerful! i've never considered joining the military, so i can't even begin to imagine what lone guard duty must be like. still, with this poem, i get the sense that i can feel what emotions you must have been experiencing during your time overseas. this poem is simply written, yet its message is deep and heartfelt. well done.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

that was very nice, and emotional as well as powerful. great job!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thi skind of had me with a tear down my cheek, This is so touching. You are a very powerful writer. I like what I have read from you.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Bud
Those who have never faced death will not truly understand. I have never been in the military or in a war, so to speak. But I have faced the real possibility of death with uncertainty on personal level at home, many times. Literally. Yes, memories such as this does help. It is a prayer that is answered, should one have that in their possession. You have done a Remarkable job of recording in accuracy for the people to see, to know the emotional stresses, and the traumatizing effect such can have on one. It truly alters a person. If in no other way, than to have a keen awareness of how quickly life can end in a flash. Life never looks the same once the innocence has been stripped away completely. Leaving no room for pretending this or that.
I applaud you for all of your efforts. Both poetically, and militarily. Thank you for your service, your heroism, you courage, and your sharing your gift of poetry. Magnificent on all accounts!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5330 Views
164 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 8 Libraries
Added on December 6, 2009
Last Updated on June 15, 2011

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Why? Why?

A Poem by Tate Morgan