Mercy

Mercy

A Story by Coyote Poetry
"

A sad poem. We need more friends. More kindness.

"
                        Mercy

Young black man.
22 year old.
He sat alone and ate alone in the mess hall for many days.
I watched him and wondered why?

I knew great pain and understood his face and eyes.

I started to sit with him.
He said nothing for many meals.
Other Soldiers said he was crazy.

One morning at breakfast.
He looked at my eyes direct.
He told me.
"Some of the poor men were still alive at Death valley. They were still breathing.
Pieces of bodies speaking in a foreign language. I held so many of them. All I could do is listen."

His eyes filled with tears. He asked me.
"Was there any purpose for this war?"

I looked at his sad eyes. I told him.
"You did all you could. Mercy of someone hearing your last words allow the poor men to move to the next place with the vision a kind heart. Not the bloody s**t of war."

He got very quiet for a time. He whispered.
"All I see is death and blood in my dreams. I can't see any good in my life now. What can I do?'"

 I took him to Virginia beach. Not many people in the late months of winter.
I made him drink many long Island ice teas.
We drank till we could barely see anymore.

We wandered down to the Virginia shoreline.
He watched the Atlantic dance on the shore.

He turned to me. Asked me? "What the f**k are you trying to do to me?
Why don't you leave me alone?

I passed the whiskey to him.
I told him. "We have been lied to. No-body care if people live or die. We were just mercenaries for money and oil. Let's scream to the Gods. Lets scream into the wind. Tell the world to f-off. Then maybe we can find the mercy to forgive ourselves."

He gave me a big smile. Told me. "You are damn crazy."

He stood up and started to run down the ghostly night beach.
Screaming and crying.
He ran into the sea.
Yelling 'kill me, end my bloody life."

I swear I saw someone with him.
I tossed my wallet to the sand.
I went into the cold sea to get him.
He was waiting for me.

I wrapped my arms around him.
He smiles and told me. "I'm Okay.
I know I must forgive myself.

He turned and looked me in the eyes.
He whispered. "Thank you for the mercy of your friendship. No-one came when I was alone and afraid. I prayed for forgiveness. You forced me to face my life."

He looked at the morning sun rising from the east. Told me. "I'm done with the Army. I won't touch a gun or hurt another person."

A month later at the Greyhound bus station he was going home. I went to shake his hand. He grabbed me and gave me a bear hug. Kissed my forehead. He told me.
"Mama will heal me with her love. Baby sister will insure I'm alright. And I remember your face and what you gave me.  You gave mercy to a man in need."

                Coyote

© 2014 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
Some stories reappear. This is a real story. War leave no winners. Just living casualty of what was done and must be learned to live with.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I vision the day, when two armies go to battle on the ground.
They drop their weapons and, mix themselves and be seated on the ground.
Anything they send from overhead to punish them all can only be done so many times.

Somewhere in the depth of man we finally say ENOUGH. When we finally see we serve each other and not divided nations,Man must come forth to man and not under a false umbrella of rule.

When we know our true strength and awake. There will be peace on earth.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

10 Years Ago

I hope one day we can find peace. Soldiers, poor people in the way of war pay the price. The great c.. read more
Cryingkate

10 Years Ago

I heard that was done, however certain ones put up blocks barricades and cut off roads so it couldn'.. read more



Reviews

Beautiful poem, really touched my heart, good work , keep it up

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

3 Years Ago

Thank you my friend. This is a real story. War messes up the minds of good men.
This was truly something, John. The story, the style in which it was written, the sentiments expressed, all were terrific, and the fact that it was real and you helped another hurting soldier is a blessing. Until one has lived with the aftermath of war, it is difficult to understand what a veteran has gone through and how hard it is to get the help needed.
I have been on Virginia Beach in the winter, not an easy place to be and the Atlantic is damned cold. I wonder what angel you saw that was there to help your friend until you could reach him?
A very good write my friend.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

4 Years Ago

Thank you Ted. Was a kind Angel.
This was beautiful, my friend.

Put multiple things back in perspective for me this morning. 'Mercy' is a word that is very relevant and alive to my life these days, and I'm wholly imperfect as a person, but pieces like this help one help to bridge that gap between myself and who I wish to be in this life.

Thank you, brother. Great, great pen.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

4 Years Ago

Thank you my friend Asante. All of us need mercy and kindness.
Such a powerful message here. Your words had me captivated from the start. So often we want to save the world but if we can make the difference in one life, as happened here, then it is all worthwhile. It shows your great heart as well!

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

4 Years Ago

Thank you Dara. I was given mercy often. If we kinder to each other, the world would be a better pla.. read more
Epic, eloquent, real story/poem in every way. A window, an exit, a sunrise. I am breathless from this. The imagery can never be forgotten. War kills bodies, souls...You saved one Coyote. God always bless you my friend. Magnificent, unforgettable write.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you Annette.
I like the story, very authentic. You must be military.

Love the ending. Back to his roots.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

I was and it is a true story. I was helped also. Sometimes take another soldier to help another sold.. read more
so were in the military? anyways nice description and the passage of the story is just so smooth like a water flowing down, concise and touching. loved it! takes one through the mind of a military person who faced and gave death!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

I was. The story was about a soldier who needed help. Military suicide is 4 times higher than the c.. read more
anurag

8 Years Ago

i don't know because i am not a military person but one would understand easily if he/she reads your.. read more
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

No. I was born in Detroit. I saw dead people as a child. I was effected later when good friends die .. read more
I loved it. Near the end I cried a little. The line “I told him. We have been lied to. No-body care if people live or die. We were just mercenaries for money and oil. Let's scream to the Gods. Lets scream into the wind. Tell the world to f-off. Then maybe we can find the mercy to forgive ourselves. Made me feel hope, hope that we still have control over our lives. Use your pain and keep on writing. Thanks for reading my work.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and the comment. And I enjoyed your poetry.
Amazing. this is what we all need to learn. to show mercy, to be kind to people even if we don't know them. such acts always end up saving the world around us.
you really have a great vision sir

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

I served 14 years in the Army. Soldiers must help soldiers. I was helped often. I agree. All of us n.. read more
nazia

9 Years Ago

The pleasure us all mine Sir :)
nazia

9 Years Ago

Pleasure is all mine Sir :)
A poem which reads as a story. A story which reads as a poem. Simple, beautiful, sad. Sometimes, the aftermath of war is worse than the war itself. A beautiful piece.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

It is for some. It is sad we teach our kids war before allowing them to learn the dance of living. T.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

27217 Views
186 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 17 Libraries
Added on September 21, 2010
Last Updated on April 1, 2014

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Ivor Ivor

A Poem by Tate Morgan