Mercy

Mercy

A Story by Coyote Poetry
"

A sad poem. We need more friends. More kindness.

"
                        Mercy

Young black man.
22 year old.
He sat alone and ate alone in the mess hall for many days.
I watched him and wondered why?

I knew great pain and understood his face and eyes.

I started to sit with him.
He said nothing for many meals.
Other Soldiers said he was crazy.

One morning at breakfast.
He looked at my eyes direct.
He told me.
"Some of the poor men were still alive at Death valley. They were still breathing.
Pieces of bodies speaking in a foreign language. I held so many of them. All I could do is listen."

His eyes filled with tears. He asked me.
"Was there any purpose for this war?"

I looked at his sad eyes. I told him.
"You did all you could. Mercy of someone hearing your last words allow the poor men to move to the next place with the vision a kind heart. Not the bloody s**t of war."

He got very quiet for a time. He whispered.
"All I see is death and blood in my dreams. I can't see any good in my life now. What can I do?'"

 I took him to Virginia beach. Not many people in the late months of winter.
I made him drink many long Island ice teas.
We drank till we could barely see anymore.

We wandered down to the Virginia shoreline.
He watched the Atlantic dance on the shore.

He turned to me. Asked me? "What the f**k are you trying to do to me?
Why don't you leave me alone?

I passed the whiskey to him.
I told him. "We have been lied to. No-body care if people live or die. We were just mercenaries for money and oil. Let's scream to the Gods. Lets scream into the wind. Tell the world to f-off. Then maybe we can find the mercy to forgive ourselves."

He gave me a big smile. Told me. "You are damn crazy."

He stood up and started to run down the ghostly night beach.
Screaming and crying.
He ran into the sea.
Yelling 'kill me, end my bloody life."

I swear I saw someone with him.
I tossed my wallet to the sand.
I went into the cold sea to get him.
He was waiting for me.

I wrapped my arms around him.
He smiles and told me. "I'm Okay.
I know I must forgive myself.

He turned and looked me in the eyes.
He whispered. "Thank you for the mercy of your friendship. No-one came when I was alone and afraid. I prayed for forgiveness. You forced me to face my life."

He looked at the morning sun rising from the east. Told me. "I'm done with the Army. I won't touch a gun or hurt another person."

A month later at the Greyhound bus station he was going home. I went to shake his hand. He grabbed me and gave me a bear hug. Kissed my forehead. He told me.
"Mama will heal me with her love. Baby sister will insure I'm alright. And I remember your face and what you gave me.  You gave mercy to a man in need."

                Coyote

© 2014 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
Some stories reappear. This is a real story. War leave no winners. Just living casualty of what was done and must be learned to live with.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I vision the day, when two armies go to battle on the ground.
They drop their weapons and, mix themselves and be seated on the ground.
Anything they send from overhead to punish them all can only be done so many times.

Somewhere in the depth of man we finally say ENOUGH. When we finally see we serve each other and not divided nations,Man must come forth to man and not under a false umbrella of rule.

When we know our true strength and awake. There will be peace on earth.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

10 Years Ago

I hope one day we can find peace. Soldiers, poor people in the way of war pay the price. The great c.. read more
Cryingkate

10 Years Ago

I heard that was done, however certain ones put up blocks barricades and cut off roads so it couldn'.. read more



Reviews

i had a tear in my eye when I finished reading this,
Great poem coyote… makes me think about the mercy we are all given. The people in our lives could have choose to ignore us, to hate us, to say were crazy… But some don't, some accept us for who we are and what we believe.
Life can be hell or it can be a life full of happiness…
I see great potential in this…
Keep up the awesome job!

C. Lee Battaglia

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

Thank you my friend. Real life teaches us. We need people who can understand what we seen.
It takes courage to write something like this. However, you're known for your reality signed and honest words of wisdom. This story really leaves an aftertaste. Well done!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

Thank you Jeannette. War leave open wound for some soldier forever.
A handful write that creates realistic imagery and life in the context. The simplicity of the structure creates sophistication and depth.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

Thank you Todd. Real life experiences teaches us what we can take and cannot accept willingly.
This is a very sad tale. War, i think, is the brother of greed and power and as long we have greed in us, war will never end. I do love the ending of this piece. The atrocities of war may have scarred the soul of those who may experienced it but support and love would eventually heal it. Thank you for sharing this moving piece.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

Thank you Gabrielle. As long as we believe war is part of us. It will be. War isn't part of us. We h.. read more
This poem is a story in itself...
The Young Black man is so relatable... A lonely man with sorrow in his heart...
Indeed he needs mercy! I don't understand much of the Christianity but Mercy and grace of God are uplifting to any soul...no matter what

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

Thank you Ivory. War leave deep wounds.
My father was a surgeon in WWII - He told me serving in the Army - going to war - changed his life forever. He never went into detail.

The reality of your story touches my heart...This is powerful writing my friend....deep and powerful.

Julie

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

Thank you Julie. Old men try to forget war and find better places and things to think about.
I'm lost for words. don't know what I can add to what the others have said. war is the worst invention of man since the creation of God's earth. you are a good man Pete. I don't have the slightest doubt that you have saved a fellow human being who was most certainly going to kill himself. God bless you, my friend.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

All of us need someone to listen to us. War leave some men with heavy burden to carry. I was helped .. read more
I took a very deep breath after reading this. I cannot fathom what it is you two felt or shared, but i can understand your words. Your approach to his desperation is somewhat maternal, a beautiful response to a horrid situation. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

Sometime the truth can set us free. It is a sad world. We teach our 18-21 kids to kill before they l.. read more
so sad but very beautiful ending.

thank you for sharing my poet friend.

Blessings Kindred poet

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

Soldiers must assist soldiers. You must know what someone saw to understand. Thank you for reading a.. read more
Benita-Staebell M - KindredPoet

9 Years Ago

P.S. I've been to Virginia Beach my oldest sister moved there we went to visit when I was just in h.. read more
superb manifestation of human resiliency mingled with compassion in a poetic-story ! I relished the humaness in being a human - where many a times people forget the humanness in out-reaching, etc.
surely your ink has many hues - lokking forward to relish your writings. Cheers

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

Thank you Shaheen. I appreciate the comment. Life lead us to places. We can be helpful or lack conce.. read more
Blood Ink Diary

9 Years Ago

My pleasure dear ! Shall come by again to read you further ! Cheers

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

27236 Views
186 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 17 Libraries
Added on September 21, 2010
Last Updated on April 1, 2014

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Ivor Ivor

A Poem by Tate Morgan