Mercy

Mercy

A Story by Coyote Poetry
"

A sad poem. We need more friends. More kindness.

"
                        Mercy

Young black man.
22 year old.
He sat alone and ate alone in the mess hall for many days.
I watched him and wondered why?

I knew great pain and understood his face and eyes.

I started to sit with him.
He said nothing for many meals.
Other Soldiers said he was crazy.

One morning at breakfast.
He looked at my eyes direct.
He told me.
"Some of the poor men were still alive at Death valley. They were still breathing.
Pieces of bodies speaking in a foreign language. I held so many of them. All I could do is listen."

His eyes filled with tears. He asked me.
"Was there any purpose for this war?"

I looked at his sad eyes. I told him.
"You did all you could. Mercy of someone hearing your last words allow the poor men to move to the next place with the vision a kind heart. Not the bloody s**t of war."

He got very quiet for a time. He whispered.
"All I see is death and blood in my dreams. I can't see any good in my life now. What can I do?'"

 I took him to Virginia beach. Not many people in the late months of winter.
I made him drink many long Island ice teas.
We drank till we could barely see anymore.

We wandered down to the Virginia shoreline.
He watched the Atlantic dance on the shore.

He turned to me. Asked me? "What the f**k are you trying to do to me?
Why don't you leave me alone?

I passed the whiskey to him.
I told him. "We have been lied to. No-body care if people live or die. We were just mercenaries for money and oil. Let's scream to the Gods. Lets scream into the wind. Tell the world to f-off. Then maybe we can find the mercy to forgive ourselves."

He gave me a big smile. Told me. "You are damn crazy."

He stood up and started to run down the ghostly night beach.
Screaming and crying.
He ran into the sea.
Yelling 'kill me, end my bloody life."

I swear I saw someone with him.
I tossed my wallet to the sand.
I went into the cold sea to get him.
He was waiting for me.

I wrapped my arms around him.
He smiles and told me. "I'm Okay.
I know I must forgive myself.

He turned and looked me in the eyes.
He whispered. "Thank you for the mercy of your friendship. No-one came when I was alone and afraid. I prayed for forgiveness. You forced me to face my life."

He looked at the morning sun rising from the east. Told me. "I'm done with the Army. I won't touch a gun or hurt another person."

A month later at the Greyhound bus station he was going home. I went to shake his hand. He grabbed me and gave me a bear hug. Kissed my forehead. He told me.
"Mama will heal me with her love. Baby sister will insure I'm alright. And I remember your face and what you gave me.  You gave mercy to a man in need."

                Coyote

© 2014 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
Some stories reappear. This is a real story. War leave no winners. Just living casualty of what was done and must be learned to live with.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I vision the day, when two armies go to battle on the ground.
They drop their weapons and, mix themselves and be seated on the ground.
Anything they send from overhead to punish them all can only be done so many times.

Somewhere in the depth of man we finally say ENOUGH. When we finally see we serve each other and not divided nations,Man must come forth to man and not under a false umbrella of rule.

When we know our true strength and awake. There will be peace on earth.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

10 Years Ago

I hope one day we can find peace. Soldiers, poor people in the way of war pay the price. The great c.. read more
Cryingkate

10 Years Ago

I heard that was done, however certain ones put up blocks barricades and cut off roads so it couldn'.. read more



Reviews

Beautiful Story !! It is time we start extending the mercy of our friendship to those in need and not just those who benefit us

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"Don't let a wounded soldier die"...we are living in a time of a free world order.. and I wonder why do we still fight wars...I am Trinidadian..and If I were to put my foot in your shoes.. I want to say.. Why do we send our future generations to war,, our sons and daughters..WHY PLEASE TELL ME WHY....

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

10 Years Ago

Your question is being asked everywhere. Look at Iraq and Syria? Brother killing brother. Poor woman.. read more
Rose of many colours

10 Years Ago

Have a great day..... Moonera...I lost every thing at one point in time in my life... every thing..... read more
Coyote Poetry

10 Years Ago

Me too. Would be a utopia we forgot to reach for.
When we love, do we have to love only those we know will love us back? When we give, do we have to give something to those we feel will give us back something we want? When we lend something, do we offer only our help to those we know will return the favor to us? It's not true love anyway...
Here in this piece, it reflects a true love- a kind of love which do not expect something in return. I almost cry in the story told in this poem. Mercy...is there no mercy between two groups in a war? Don't they have mercy to those innocent victims of this war?

A brilliant repost here, CP. So touching.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

10 Years Ago

Each of us are different. Some men can swim in blood and be okay. Tender hearts and eyes can be effe.. read more
Daisie Vergara (Dhaye)

10 Years Ago

You're welcome.
Very powerful story. I have a brother in the Army but we don't talk much. We've been living apart since even before I was born. He was raised by my aunt and I was raised by our mom. I'll never get the privilege of knowing exactly what his life is or what he's been going through in the Army, though one day, I hope to find out.
I loved your story. It shines a light on what we as regular citizens know nothing about or a lot of people don't even care to ask about. This is a poignant piece because of how vivid you described what the young soldier went through during and after the war. It also shows that a little goes a long way when approaching any and everyone. So, I loved this piece. One of my faves.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Another great but yet sad piece describing a man who hates war like us, like you. Your words make us feel that the man had after seeing many lives going to their maker. Really a tear bringing piece. Yup, war declares no winners it only ends with counting dead bodies. That meant to someone. In the war the dove of peace is blocked in a cell where the sound of arms is only heard. The war remains a big question mark after the god's creation, that for only this we are made. For only pain are we given hands?. For only runinig are given legs?. Are we given eyes only to see the destruction, the inferno?.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

reflects d truth.. loved it!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The power of love is such an amazing force capable of transforming lives. The little things that matter!


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

10 Years Ago

We need friendship and hope. It is sad we teach the young. War and death before love and family.
Brilliant! Love the dialogue and the narrative direction. It's very clear and concise.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is very true. War is indeed pointless. The story you have told and countless other such stories are a reflection of that.

War is enough to turn living, breathing human beings into cold, lifeless, empty shells. That's what could have happened to the young man in the earlier part of your story. Only a powerful emotion such as mercy could breathe life in such an individual.

Very good writing. Leaves a warm feeling inside the heart after reading this. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

27605 Views
186 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 17 Libraries
Added on September 21, 2010
Last Updated on April 1, 2014

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Ivor Ivor

A Poem by Tate Morgan