The hills and the Apache

The hills and the Apache

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

A old poem when I was seeking who I was. Written in 1992.

"
                       












                    





The hills and the Apache

I had a bottle of good tequila. A bag of some fresh lemons.
I drove for three hours to the California fault line.
Do some free-climbing and drink till I didn't give a s**t.

On my walk into the mountain.
A old Native American  begin to walk with me.
He looked at me. Told me. "You have came a long way.
Learn so little. I want to sit with you. Maybe we can learn from each other."

I told the man my name. My name is John. Just a soldier trying to forget.
The old man reached out and took my hand.

 Told me.  "I'm a old Apache. A old man seeking  friendship
and maybe we can share your magic juice. They call me White Buffalo"

I smiled and thought the man loco. But he looked safe. I told him he was welcome to
join my walk and drink the tequila.

He told me the story of tequila. "Tequila was once a plant for medicine. Could make the mind
find it sorrow and pain. Now white man drink the medicine for entertainment.'

I took the old man to my secret waterfall. Hidden in between four hills.  I have brought few to this spot.

White Buffalo told me. "This is a special place here. Captain Jack and his braves drank from this water many times in the past."

He unhooked his small drums. Gently sang a prayer to the Native Americans who lived and died here. I listen  to the prayer and wander into my thoughts.

The gentle tapping of the drum and the taste of the tequila made me think of people missed and lost on my journey to feel everything in life that can be felt.  Faces of people gone appeared in my thoughts. I desired forgiveness for leaving so many. So many things left behind.

White Buffalo stopped playing the drum. Create a fire with some sticks and  brought out a small pot. He put some water into the small pot. In a small bag he brought out some plants. I watched him break them apart and put them into the water.

He smiled and told me. "Today we will drink the ancient tea. We will watch the sun fall and rise. We will sing to the moon. We will become one with the waterfall and the mountain. We will become like the four hills. Able to take the pain and the burden of the seasons. Allow the pain and misery of yesterday to fade away."

I drank the tea. The old man face faded in and out. He was singing to the mountain. I had dreams of my brothers. Their faces were laughing and whispering to me. "We are Okay. One day we will find us again."

In the morning I awoke sitting against the rocks.

White Buffalo told me. " Life is long. Easy for no-one. The spirit of your blood must come alive. Allow the anger to turn to strength. Do some good things and don't repeat the same mistake twice. Your life must have direction. I love these hills and the waterfall. Some nights Captain Jack come to me. Whisper secrets of life and mystery. He told me. Native Americans must protect nature. We are responsible for the earth, the sky and the water."

White Buffalo shook my hand. He give me some stones and told me. "When anger overtake you. Hold the stones. Bring the anger  into the stone and live with the spirit of peace and kindness."

He left me alone on the cliff and waved goodbye to me. I wanted to thank him, but he disappeared quickly into the vast hills of the California fault line. I felt lighter and strong this morning.  I saw the clear sky and felt a new desire to be alive. I knew greed and hate must leave my thoughts and life. I had to find a reason to be alive.

I still remember White Buffalo words. Native Americans must teach the people of this world. To protect the animal, the earth, the green and the water..
  
                                  Coyote
                                 1992
 



© 2012 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
A very old poem. Old thoughts and memories. Any mistakes. Please assist a old writer.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

people are the cause of all coruption on earth. imagine how earth was before manking come to live on it, i am sure there wasnt any kind of pollution! earth was then pure, vergin, clean, never touched. but after people started to settle when they started to farm lands, built houses, villages then cities, then the corrupt was the most after the industrial revolotion which started in England and then spread to all of your to other countries. but now, then what? where are we going and taking earth with us? what about the future of next generations? i think we should really be careful for our planet. thank you so much for this nice writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
Nicely tell story. Meet with some souyl who can touch us realy deeply . Echoes of ancient times. Feeling nature and whole universe great poem.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

Thank you. I free-climbed the USA coastline for 4 years when I was station in California. If we open.. read more
That's mind blowing.
Hopefully, i will meet somebody like White Buffalo and be able to one day pass on his words....

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, this is amazing! Im just so intrigued by the beauty of it all. Yes, they are old memories - old, wonderful, beautiful, memories and your words have them came alive again.

Those gone are never forgotten...

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

My mother is a Native American, and so I know of some of their ways. It sounds like you had a remarkable experience. I hope the words of White Buffalo continue to give you comfort as and when you need them. The Natives are very wise. They are a gentle people, undeserving of the treatment they suffer.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

May be an old poem, but coyote my friend it had a wonderful story! Excellent read!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

An enjoyable tale touched by the Native American's wisdom. An excellent work. Thank you for this tale of overcoming. Nicely done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"He smiled and told me. "Today we will drink the ancient tea. We will watch the sun fall and rise. We will sing to the moon. We will become one with the waterfall and the mountain. We will become like the four hills. Able to take the pain and the burden of the seasons. Allow the pain and misery of yesterday to fade away." Man Hats Off at this part Hats Off!!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

really nice

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

So inspirational... your work is truly stunning.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thanks for this one Coyote, this reminds me of my own wanderings in the hills.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3133 Views
87 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on May 1, 2012
Last Updated on May 3, 2012

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Heart Heart

A Poem by Tate Morgan