A Passion Most Profound

A Passion Most Profound

A Story by Austin Cates
"

One glance can return a love to it's true glory.

"

I see you across the aisle, as beautiful as ever, and something extraordinary happens. The world around me burns, the air becomes thin, and my vision begins to blur. The sound of my racing heart is audible through my chest and is reminiscent of the drums of wars long since forgotten. Adrenaline courses through my veins and dopamine floods into my brain, making me a human cocktail of euphoria. I begin to cross the aisle and my hands begin to shake and my feet numb more and more with each step.

Memories spring forward in my mind like pies from boxes in a cartoon, causing me to smile and wince in equal measure. The sight of you in a shirt and underwear as we ready ourselves for bed, and the simple eloquence you carry without knowing so. The smell of your soft, black hair as I hold you close, full of fear that if I release you it will be forever. The warm, engulfing sensation of my unbridled love for you, and the reciprocation you so generously provide. Alas, the memories fade and I'm pulled back into the present, walking down the aisle towards you.

Your friends spot me first and they attempt to guide you away from me, as a lighthouse guides a ship from the rocks, but you turn your head just in time to catch a glimpse of me. When our eyes lock, I know you feel what I do. Your friends realize their attempt is now futile and they slowly drop their arms and lower their heads. Our faces are oil paintings made with strokes of surprise, nostalgia, regret and love.

Less than six feet between us, yet it feels like six hundred. A blink brings it back to six feet and reality sticks a knife deep into my withered heart. Three feet more and the knife disolves, making it possible for us to embrace for the first time in years. The hug brings with it an entire relationship, pulling no punches and sparing no details, our minds ignite with both passion and pain. The hug should not have lasted more than a sliver of a second, but here we are going on nearly a minute. Our eyes are closed and our heads are leaning in the small of each other's neck.

As we part, I feel the unwillingness to do so in you that also resonates in me. Our hands find each other and I rub them softly, just as I used to. Your beautiful green eyes peer through my simple brown ones into my soul, not to pry but to remember what it felt like. I want so badly to say something to you, confess that you have captivated my thoughts every day since we took different paths, yet my mouth simply remains open enough for air to trickle in and out.

In the silence, we find a deafening roar of passion that has gone unattended in the passing years. We are still madly in love, though for reasons all too familiar, we made the decision to end our beauteous relationship. The words of our last conversation are forever engraved in the folds of my mind, as I'm positive they are in yours as well. We spoke of happiness...we spoke of sorrow. We spoke of life...we spoke of death. However, above all, we spoke of love...

A tear begins to form in the corner of your eye, and a smile full of pain spreads across your face. Your smile is as contagious as a yawn, forcing my lips to mirror yours. The tear slowly rolls down your cheek just as a drop of morning dew rolls down a blade of grass. The torn tapestries of our souls are being sewn back together, despite the wedge we drove between ourselves. You cannot fight a love this powerful, no matter how strong you make claim to be. It digs inside of you and places it's hand upon your heart, calming you, despite any struggle you may give.

We have still yet to utter even a single word, but we do not have to, we are now together again. My thoughts are yours, your movements are mine, and our souls are one. This is exactly where we are meant to be. Right here, on this very spot, holding hands and gazing into each other's eyes. The rest of the world does not dare to exist at this moment, it gives way for us to be alone. Our private moment that the universe has granted us.

Who were we to decide against a love such as ours? We were but petty mortals given the greatest gift of all, and we chose to cast it aside as if it were an unwanted childhood toy. The reasoning behind our decision echoes now within me, and the echoes tear at the scars, causing old wounds to become fresh once again.

Our child, our sweet, innocent child not even 3 years young. The lump that became something far more sinister, and all the tears that could float a small ship. That day in the hospital when the machine let loose one continuous beep. The small casket that we watched slowly drop into the cold, dark Earth. That final conversation we had...

You take the step that closes the gap between us. We then close our eyes and give ourselves over to the passion that has been boiling beneath the surface, and let our lips find each other. They interlock, as two adjoining puzzle pieces do, and we pick up right where we left off. Fireworks explode in our hearts, fires ignite in our souls, and an emotional serenity envelopes our minds.

Our lives were turned into a rubix cube, constantly shifted and rotated away from it's true form. The colors, mirroring our emotions, were jumbled and strewn across the cube. Hate mixed with love; pain mixed with happiness; and fear mixed with assurance. Through our years apart we kept shifting and rotating, unconsciously, and we have arrived at this random store: complete again.

As our kiss ends, and we separate, I can feel the strings of our hearts gain tension, a sign that they are now sewn back into place. You abandon your friends, and I abandon my cart, then we walk hand-in-hand down the aisle. We have no direction, no plan to follow, we simply walk. This is exactly where we are meant to be.

© 2014 Austin Cates


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I truly can't give you anything less than 100. That was beautiful to read and your description was perfection. I'm at a loss— it's been so long since I've read anything about romance that just had that simple love feeling in it. It's as though I was there and I actually saw this happening. The feelings you describe make it as though you can almost actually feel what they do. You can feel what they do, see what they see and you know what they know (in a sense.)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Austin Cates

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much, I appreciate it. I'm really glad you liked it :)



Reviews

I truly can't give you anything less than 100. That was beautiful to read and your description was perfection. I'm at a loss— it's been so long since I've read anything about romance that just had that simple love feeling in it. It's as though I was there and I actually saw this happening. The feelings you describe make it as though you can almost actually feel what they do. You can feel what they do, see what they see and you know what they know (in a sense.)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Austin Cates

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much, I appreciate it. I'm really glad you liked it :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

407 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 10, 2014
Last Updated on June 10, 2014

Author

Austin Cates
Austin Cates

Bakersfield, CA



About
Just a simple guy, bleeding words and sewing the wounds with frayed thread. more..

Writing
Mom Mom

A Poem by Austin Cates


Choice Choice

A Poem by Austin Cates