The Girl

The Girl

A Poem by Austin Cates
"

A man's view of a girl he loves, and how she affects him deep down.

"

There was a girl I knew once, in a life that seems so far away now. Her pure, raw beauty had but one equal, and that was the inner turmoil that was buried just beneath her surface.

Her eyes, though stunning to behold, carried a silent pain that tore my heart in half. Those eyes could draw me in so deep that the rest of the world had no room to exist.

I wanted nothing more than to crawl inside her mind and fight the fear that had built up inside her. With bloody knuckles and ragged breaths, I would destroy that fear if it was the last thing I did.

When she spoke, I did not hear what others heard, I heard what was hidden inside. A cry for help masked by words of wanted societal acceptance.

My heart weighed heavy when I watched her struggle through the unforgiving sea of life. However she had one thing that kept her afloat: hope.

She hoped for a brighter future; for a man too be at her side through the muck and mire; but she hoped for a life worth living.

I fell in love with her for reasons that others might call insane. I fell in love with the beauty in her pain, the strength in her sorrow and the hope in her heart.

Sometimes when we spoke to each other, I wanted so desperately to wrap my arms around her and tell her everything was going to be fine. I wanted to melt into her, never to separate again.

Through years of struggle; years of that inner turmoil that drove her to the edge of sanity; through those years I never left her side, it never in fact slid across the folds of my mind.

As we went hand-in-hand through the muck and mire, I could feel her soul sigh with relief with each new day. My own soul would kindle her fresh fire that had grown from the spark of hope.

Her smile no longer carried silent pain, her voice no longer masked a cry for help and her heart now beat with a tumultuous fervor for what was to come. That hope had blossomed into reality.

Where once a girl had sat before me with a slouch in her back; a woman now stands beside me with a spine of steel. A woman I am so very proud to now call my wife.

© 2014 Austin Cates


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Your wife is lucky....

I'm really new to poetry so I can really give you any valid feedback.
I think you have some powerful lines in your poem, the folds of your mind...I love that, too bad mine are wrinkled...
It says devotion...and I think that is the most important part of your poem...

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Reviews

Your wife is lucky....

I'm really new to poetry so I can really give you any valid feedback.
I think you have some powerful lines in your poem, the folds of your mind...I love that, too bad mine are wrinkled...
It says devotion...and I think that is the most important part of your poem...

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very original! For the "the beauty in her pain" is powerful

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm smiling. Yes I am. I'm smiling.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

293 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 8, 2014
Last Updated on August 8, 2014
Tags: love, emotion, hope, pain

Author

Austin Cates
Austin Cates

Bakersfield, CA



About
Just a simple guy, bleeding words and sewing the wounds with frayed thread. more..

Writing
Mom Mom

A Poem by Austin Cates


Choice Choice

A Poem by Austin Cates