The Church

The Church

A Story by ThexUnspeakablexRomance
"

Sin-offense commited against God

"

It smells like sin.

Maybe because it sits in the pews

 

In the second row, the glutton who brings his bag of excess to fill his desire for food. He justifies his sin by calling it health problems he cannot control. And yet he controls his problems by feeding them. Too busy indulging himself to hear the sermon, he disturbs and repulses the people around him.

 

In front of the congregation, stands the preacher with greed flowing through his veins, out of his mouth into words as the offering plate is passed up and down the rows. He preaches the Word but longs for the taste of money from his "flock," his sheep who follow him and hang on his every word and quickly give up their money for his selfishness hidden behind the Bible. He justifies his sin by saying the church needs it. But why does the church need a Mustang convertable?

 

Next to the glutton sits the slothful teenager. He sleeps while the preacher talks in his messy clothes. His mother took an hour to get him out of his bed of laziness. He justifies his sin by claiming he has too much to do and it wears his body down. But how can his body be worn down when he stays home and sleeps all day? So much talent wasted on such a sluggish youth.

 

His mother sits next to him, her eyes filled with envy. She resents the preacher for his money and influence on the church. She resents the woman with a happy marriage because her's has failed. She justifies her sin by calling it injustice. But the only injustice served is the injustice her anger inflicts on her and her son.

 

In front of the sloth, envy, and gluttony of the second row, sits the proud wife of the preacher. She glorifies herself because of her beauty and religious leader husband. She indulges in other people's envy and thoughts of her. She justifies her sin by calling it self-esteem. But then why does she look down on others and pities the poor?

 

Across the aisle sits the lustful woman of pleasure. She invites anyone into her bed who is looking for flesh and she gives them her body. She justifies her sin by giving it a mask called love. The price of her love is three failed marriages, a tainted self-image, and a dangerous affair with the "holy" preacher.

 

And in the back stands wrath in human form. A man who's hatred of all offenses against God has turned him into sin. He justifies his sin by calling it devotion to God. "He who spares the rod, spoils the child," so he beat his son wrongly. He married a woman who envied his brother, the preacher, so he hit her. Failed at love and bitter towards everyone, he plots their deaths "in the name of God."

 

Together the stand, locked in their sin.

And together they will fall.

How will they justify their sins now?

© 2008 ThexUnspeakablexRomance


Author's Note

ThexUnspeakablexRomance
This is not necessarily true for all churches

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I liked how you've managed to make both sides of the podium immoral. :)
And I guess it is true in a way for a lot of churches, yet not all of them (as you so said in your notes).
I guess there are sinners even among the flocks of the faithful, but this remark means nothing coming from a non-believer.
I really enjoyed reading this.

Posted 16 Years Ago


That was pretty shibby. I also would have like to see god come down and whoop some a*s. Or something eventful anyway. You spelled vein as vain. Wittle typo. Also, I'm not sure you need to bold the sins, I think it would be more powerful if you allowed the reader to realize what was going on for themselves, instead of making it obvious. By the 3rd or 4th person most people will realize the symbolism.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I liked this, although I thought the ending a bit anti-climatic. The way you wove them all together was fantastic with a hint of brilliance, and then the end is a little three-line thingy. I wouldn't bust your chops about the abrupt ending if the rest hadn't been so damned good.

But I'm your buddy, so I'm obligated to point at that and ask what happened when you got there? Run outta gas, or what?

I was waiting on God to show up and kick their a*s. Blast the vestibule with lightning or something.

You had me all revved up about it.... *laughs*

But what you have IS really good--don't let my ravings dissuade you. I liked it from beginning to abrupt ending.

How come you're not accepting ratings? Huh? Are you just out to thwart me tonight? *shakes head*

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great write. A very intelligent and insightful look at all seven deadly sins. If only all these types could see themselves as you do.
There are a few copy-edit errors but over all very well written.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Woah. This is freakin incredible. I really like how this makes everyone think. Its like the most 'holy' place to be can be the mose hellish place. Execelent Job. Great write.

-Riley

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is amazing. I love how you tied all of the characters together and described their sins. Great work.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
6 Reviews
Added on March 15, 2008
Last Updated on March 23, 2008

Author

ThexUnspeakablexRomance
ThexUnspeakablexRomance

A place far away, OK



About
I am young and I love writing. I like to express my opinions so please don't step on them. While I have been writing for years, I have never shown them to anyone, so this is all very new to me. more..

Writing