Unattainable.

Unattainable.

A Story by Cupcake.
"

Originally written 3.27.13. Working late in the store.

"
"Can I ask you a question?" I asked shyly.

I could tell she was debating whether or not to reply sarcastically. She decided not to, and smiled sweetly at me with a soft "yes".
"What is your dream?" I said far too quietly. She heard though, and as she straightened the clothes in the store, I saw her eyes sparkle, if only the tiniest bit. I opened my mouth to clarify my question, but she understood.
"I, well, I don't really..." she paused in her words and actions and looked up at the ceiling- or, more like the exposed pipes and rafters above her head. I inched closer, pretending to sweep near her location so my nearness wouldn't be awkward. 
"You see," she began again, "my parents never forced me into things. It's both a blessing and a curse. Like how other kids had to do sports or they had to do this or that, I never did. They just let me do what I wanted. I guess if they had made me try different things, I'd have a more distinct passion. Does that make sense?"
I answered affirmatively before she had even finished speaking, and found my hands flying to my face to cover my mouth, but she didn't notice or care, she was in thought and it was beautiful.
"It's kind of corny," she continued, "but, I guess, my dream is to be happy. Find how many, like, different kinds of happiness there are. I-I guess I just want to be able to wake up and be content with the person I am. You know?"
I waited for what seemed like entirely too long a second to respond. I felt my self-consciousness take hold of me as it always did, so my reply of "Yeah, I do know" was barely audible.
She turned to me, porcelain skin glowing under the usually harsh store lighting. Her flowing dark hair slid over her shoulder as she faced me. "You do?"
I nodded and she smiled, warming and breaking my heart at the same time.
As I write this now, I wish I could capture in this medium the gorgeous way her words flowed from her lips and wafted through the air like poetry upon the calm sea at evening.
She enthralled me, and of course, she was unattainable. Granted, everything I truly wanted was unattainable, but no one and nothing in the way she was.
Which of course made me want her all the more.

© 2013 Cupcake.


Author's Note

Cupcake.
I just don't even read over things anymore.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

228 Views
Added on March 27, 2013
Last Updated on April 8, 2013

Author

Cupcake.
Cupcake.

The Hundred Acre Wood



About
I like cupcakes. more..

Writing
Addiction Addiction

A Story by Cupcake.


Alleged. Alleged.

A Story by Cupcake.


Unraveling Unraveling

A Story by Cupcake.