A Village in the Woods

A Village in the Woods

A Chapter by Celestirys

1.  A Village in the Woods

Dawn has brought a new day. The first rays of the sun pierced through the green foliage and the early morning’s white mist of the forest, painting a mystical landscape in the woods. It was a magnificent view from the clearing on which the village of Fiude was built. However, its inhabitants were too busy to admire the scenery that nature has conjured on that morning. Everyone, except for the smallest children who were still fast asleep, helped in preparing the caravan for its journey. The mid spring festival of the nearby merchant city of Valshadan would start within a few days, and as usually, the villagers of Fiude wanted to sell some of their goods on the local market. And of course, they wanted to buy some useful items as well. They had many hides, salted and smoked-dried venison, leather and wooden crafts, dried fruits, and some cloth material, all packed up in wooden chest or sacks onto the cart, pulled by two horses harnessed before it. Sharla was checking the straps of the mounts.

The girl passed her right of adulthood a few years ago. She had average height with a lean, fit body. Her skin tone was slightly more tanned than the average, she spent many hours outdoors and the light of the sun gave her a touch of brownish colour. Her face had delicately shaped features, not the type which was strikingly beautiful, but still had a kind of charm which attracted the eyes of others. Her lips had darker colour, they weren’t wide, but had a pleasant curve. She had a snubby nose, her eyebrows were a graceful, dark brown arch, but the real gemstones of her features were her eyes. Their vibrant, green colours, the lights and shades that played in her irises made them twins to emeralds. She was an ordinary person, yet still bit out of place in a village in the middle of the great Waldren wilds. Just like her mother, who was approaching her with a gentle smile on her face. It was obvious on the first sight they were parent and child. Sharla inherited her mother’s, Etalin’s dark hair and most of her features, but the emerald eyes were passed down from her father.
“Is our big girl ready for the journey?” Etalin asked patting the neck of the black horse. She was a strong creature with massive build, muscles capable of performing great strength, although she was not as fast as a courier mount.
”Yes, she is. She got plenty of water and oat yesterday, and it seems she slept well. The straps are okay, not loose and not tight. The same goes for the brown gentleman as well.” The girl caressed the brown mare, who snorted gratefully. The other cart pulling mount belonged to the village’s hunter, who also accompanied the caravan.

Festivals were always big events for the villagers of Fiude. They were two days travel from the merchant city; near the well patrolled caravan routes, but not close enough to have them pass through. This made the village peaceful and tranquil, but made the inhabitants of Fiude travel whenever they wanted to sell their wares. Undertaking a journey alone was still risky, and even greater group of travellers might attract unwanted attention. That is why the villagers organised these caravans. Some of the men who joined were responsible for safety and helping in the lifting and carrying of heavy weight. The others, who were coming along, helped in the financial things and such. Except for Etalin, only two other people were able to read and or write, or to count to more than ten. They were needed to make every buying and selling smooth, and to avoid being ripped off. The whole event with the travelling and the festival in Valshadan took six days. The caravan left early in the morning and came back nearly dusk on the tenth day.

This was the first day, and the breaking dawn meant it was time to say farewell to those who were about to leave with the caravan.
“If all goes well, we’ll be back in ten days time, maybe even sooner, if things go perfect and smooth.”
“Yes, but we all know life is not like that, mother.” Etalin smiled at her daughter.
“I know, but we can always hope. The days will pass fast, but if you need any help, anyone would gladly help, I’m sure of it.”
“Don’t worry about me, I’ll be fine. You’re accompanying these caravans for seven years now and never happened anything. Neither with me, or with you and the caravan.”
“Indeed, and I am grateful it for the gods.” Etalin kissed Sharla on the forehead.

Etalin raised Sharla alone since her husband; Gaon left the village, when their daughter was only three years old. He became an adventurer, people who were hunting for ancient treasures and relics, without the permission of the empire, and thus they were hunted as well. The Gshantaran Empire was very sensitive about artefacts, and punished severely anyone, who did not present their findings. The officials would then collect it, and pay the appropriate bounty for the treasure. However, some wanted to use it against the Emperor �" or Drevor as he named his title. Adventurers gambled with their lives to find powerful treasures of the past, magical items of legends to stop the Drevor and his conquest, or to smuggle these powerful tools to the right people, for example, to the King of Lightshore. The Kingdom of the Sun was under attack by the Gshantan Empire for years now, and it seemed the war would last for at least several more years. Sharla’s father also became an adventurer, to hunted for mysterious item, to aid those, who stood against the empire Thaleraswide.

Of course, it pained Etalin to let his husband go, but she didn’t want to force him to stay. Her father sent them secret messages in one way or another for years, often carried by other adventurers whom he trusted. Probably that was the main reason why Etalin gave quarters secretly to adventurers, and probably that was also the main motive of joining the caravan and travelling to the city. Listen for gossips, gathering news which she couldn’t have heard in the village. She always felt guilty for leaving her little daughter for days, but the villagers gladly took care of the young Sharla. She was a curious and active, but kind in heart girl, and it was a small favour to do for the village’s bright and always helpful healer.
“Oh, I almost forgot. Little Graas will visit you today. His injury should be fine now, but please take a look at it will you?” Etalin looked at her daughter imploringly. Sharla wasn’t as skilful as her mother in terms of healing, but she learned a few tricks from Etalin as well. She also loved to listen to the tales of their guests, she learnt to ride a horse, and how to climb or hold and wield a sword properly. She knew many herbs and their uses, and she remembered quite a few medical recipes. If the injury wasn’t too severe or the illness wasn’t something uncommon, she could handle the case. She immediately nodded reassuringly to her mother’s request.
“Of course, I will check the little guy’s arm, don’t worry.”
“Thank you sweetie, I appreciate it. Could you also go and gather some herbs while I’m gone?”
“Naturally, I was planning to do so.”
“You’re the best, darling.” Her mother hugged Sharla, and she hugged her back. “It seems everyone is ready to go. Take care sweetie, see you soon!”
“Travel safe, mother, and try to have some fun too.”
“I’ll try, I promise.” Etalin hugged her daughter one last time, before she climbed onto the left side of the driver’s seat, next to Phillar, the village’s hunter. The senior man greeted them both with a small nod and a hearty smile. Sharla joined the crowd a few steps back and waved good bye to the slowly departing caravan. Within a few minutes, the cart and the accompanying people vanished into the woods and the disappearing mist.

Sharla was starting to walk back to their home at the other end of the village when a young ten year old like girl approached her. She was a bit skinny, she had pale skin and blond hair, with a gorgeous, freckled face and brown eyes.
“Good morning Lissi!” Sharla greeted her with a kind smile.
“Good morning Sharla. Uhm, can you check my brother’s arm today? Etalin said you’ll tell if he’s finally alright.”
“Of course I will. Bring him along when he woke up and I’ll have a look at his arms.”
“Uhum, I will. See you later!” Lissi nodded enthusiastically and sprinted off to tell her mother the good news. Sharla watched the girl with a smile on her face, then turned away and walked home.

She remembered the day not so long ago, when Graas’s and Lissi’s desperate mother brought to Etalin the injured little boy. He was playing with the other children, and he fell in an unlucky way. They were at the nearby stream hiding and chasing each other, when he lost his grip on the branch of the tree on which he climbed, and landed on the rocky bank. Unfortunately some of the stones were sharp, and made deep cuts on the boy’s forearms. Etalin didn’t have to stitch them but the wounds could have gotten infected too easily.The healer visited them every day for the first week to clean the injury and to see if it is mending properly. Her balms and ointments calmed the pain and soothed the skin near the injured area, and helped the body’s natural recovery. In the end, she only had to made check-ups a few times, and only the final confirmation was needed which could be handled by her daughter.

By the time Sharla had finished recounting the process of Graas’s healing, she reached their home. It wasn’t a big house, but it was built by her parents, together. It had a cooking and dining are, and another, smaller bad chamber. It also had a larder, and they had some space left in the attic, where they made some comfortable berths for their guests. Sharla stepped to the cabinet in which her mother kept her medicines and healing equipment. She knew that what they cannot gather from the forest Etalin will buy it, so she only needed to focus on missing ingredients, and check which medicines were running low. Probably she will finish it by the time Lissi and Graas visit her.

Time passed silently and rather quickly. She barely put back the last clusters of herbs used to make calming balms for inflammation, when she heard the knock on the door.
“Come in, it’s open!”  She closed the wooden cabinet while the siblings entered the room. Lissi was nudging forward her little brother. Graas had six winters behind him. His skin wasn’t as pale as her sister’s, and he wasn’t as bony, but they had the same blond hair (same as all their other siblings), roundish face and the eyes of their mother. It was obvious the little guy hated to come. The place reminded him of the pain and ache and the tears he had shad because of being hurt. Sharla welcomed them with a warm, calming smile �" like she saw it from her mother.
“Hello Graas, how are you doing?” She asked with a kind and patient voice.
“Fine.” The reply came quick, as if it can save him from any uncomfortable treatments. Sharla almost laughed, but managed to resist the urge.
“That’s good to hear.” She nodded. “Could you please sit down on the chair, so I can quickly confirm it as well?”

Graas looked at the piece of furniture as if it was for torturing innocent young children. Her sister, who was watching silently, nudged him again. Graas hesitantly walked to the chair and sat down slowly. Sharla stepped next to him, and grabbed his harm gently but firm before he could think twice about running away.
“There. Comfortable? I’ll have a quick look, and you’ll be off right after it. Agreed?” The boy nodded with a small, frightened nod.Sharla caressed his roundish face, and then tucked up the sleeve of his shirt. The remainders of the deep cuts were still visible, but they were mending properly. The surrounding skin didn’t show any sign of infection or inflammation, but to be sure, she gently pressed it. No sign of pain, no fluids oozed. As far as her knowledge would tell no additional care was needed. Sharla smiled a reassuring smile to the boy, and patted his little shoulder.
“The cuts look like grazes now. It’ll still needs some time to vanish, but you’re fine now. It will probably leave some scars behind, but hey, you’ll have something in common with your older brother.” She winked at him. Graas’s expression immediately brightened, partly because of the good news, and partly because of the resemblance to his brother.
“You can brag with it to your friends, like he did. Just don’t get too many others after these, okay?”
“I promise.” He was up on his feet in a jiffy, and started towards the door. After all, the agreement was that after the check-up he’s free to go.
“Graas!”Lissi’s sharp voice instantly stopped him. “What do you say?”
“Thank you?” He looked ashamed.
“You’re welcome, but mother did the lion’s share of the work. Don’t worry, you’re free to go, just… wait for your sister.” Sharla couldn’t even finish the sentence; the boy was already outside after saying a quick good bye.
“I’m sorry, he’s always like this. Probably he wants to ask mother asap if he can play with the other boys.” Lissi sighed.
“It would make me worry if he wouldn’t act like this. He’s very much like Westor.”
“Yes. He misses him very much. Have you…?” Sharla shook her head as an answer to the unfinished question.
“No, I haven’t heard any recent news, sorry.” Lissi just nodded sadly, but not surprised.
“Please tell Etalin we thank her for the help.”
“I will. Just to be sure; keep an eye on him, okay?”
“Uhum.”Lissi nodded. “See you later Sharla.”
“See you later Lissi.” Sharlaclosed the door after the girl.

She went to the bedroom to get her bag. Sharla quickly gathered the thing she needed for her little herb excursion. She packed several small leather and linen pouches, a very small shovel to uproot the plants she needed, small boxes for berries and other, fragile ingredients. Lastly, she packed the hunting knife which was a gift from her best friends, Westor and Balgran. The blade was strong and sharp enough to cut through lesser branches, and it was also a perfect last stand should she have to defend herself against an attacker. The boys knew her very well, and purchased the perfect gift for a young girl who obviously liked blades. No wonder. She was always eager to be around the current guest adventurer or adventurers, nagging them for tales, or them to show her some tricks. Luckily, most of them were willing to calm the curiosity of the lively little girl. After a time she learnt to fence and how to fight with swords, though she never got or bought her own. Still, when it came to stick fights in the village, no kid could beat her. Not even Westor, who was the second best. A nostalgic smile appeared on her face as she gazed back to the memories. The three of them together were inseparable. And now, only two of them remained. Westor had left, and she missed him very much. Always smiling, laughing, and teasing everyone, but never tried to back away from work or duty.

Yet, he just vanished. He told them, see you tomorrow, and by the time the new day came, he must have been miles away. He secretly ran off, without saying farewell to anyone. Without saying anything about his plans to his closest friends. This is what hurt Sharla the most. They shared everything with each other �" or mostly everything. If something was gnawing at them, what they dreamed and planned of, what hurt them, what made them happy - they never hid it from the others. Yet, everything suddenly changed when Westor vanished one night. He was always meddlesome when it came to news and gossips about the on-going wars, especially the one against the Kingdom of the Sun, but they never suspected he would leave behind his former life and became a soldier. No one knew what happened to him until one of the adventurers staying at Etalin’s house mentioned that he heard the boy’s name. He was the one, who told them, that he was recruited, and he was trained quiet fast.  Barely had a year passed and he was already sent to the battlefield. And there, he almost immediately made a name for himself. It was incredible. And maybe, a small, tiny-tiny part of Sharla was envious of him. She always dreamed of setting out to find her father, and hunt for relics together, to be together with her father after a long-long time. But it stayed a childish dream, and although she had the skills to start an adventurous career, she never meant to leave by heart. She didn’t want to leave her mother alone. She had suffered enough from loneliness. Etalin seemed always so happy and relieved when they received any news of Gaon, but as Sharla grew, she began to see, and realize, how much sorrow was being kept hidden in her eyes and gentle smile.

She shook her head to free herself from the depressing thoughts. The weather was nice, the village had good prospects for the upcoming festival, no diseases ravaged the lands, no bandits threatened Fiude, and she had no reason to be blue. She took a deep breath after she stepped outside, and let her lips curve into a lively smile. She locked the house’s door, and walked towards the nearby woods in a comfortable pace.

She knew well, where to find the required herbs, so she focused her ventures on those areas. Sharla walked to those places one by one and began her harvest where it was possible. She dug, she cut, she picked tirelessly. The sun’s rays were not just warm but hot, however; the forest’s green foliage gave many shades and cooled the air to a pleasant temperature. Should anyone find it too cool, they just needed to step outside to a sunny spot and within a few minutes time warmth return to their body.

She was progressing quickly, so when she began to feel hungry sometime after the sun passed the peak of her path on the sky, she took a pause without a hint of guilt. She stopped at a small clearing, where a huge storm some years ago struck down an old oak tree which was already dying because of a disease. The lush undergrowth quickly took over the bottom part of the forest, which was otherwise dry and brown under the shed of the huge greenery. The thick, fallen trunk was covered with vivid, green moss. Sharla sat down on that, and had her meal there. A little brad and some cheese, she never had a huge appetite, but she always ate enough to have sufficient energy for the day’s tasks. She didn’t need to hurry; nothing urgent awaited her, so she enjoyed every bit of the modest lunch. After that, she bathed a little bit in the warm sunlight, giving her body some time to digest the food peacefully. A cool breeze was whistling between the tree trunks, making the leaves hush and rustle, as if the woods were exchanging their latest gossips. Birds hidden in the greenery sang their song of love, of hunt and duels for the hens, bugs and insects buzzed in the rays of the sunlight. She saw almost none of them, no furry or feathery animals, nor did she catch sight of any lesser forest spirit, yet she knew, she felt, she heard that the woods were full of life around her. She wasn’t a typical wanderer, the enthusiastic lover of the wild, but this calm yet lively side of nature somehow always calmed her, and cheered her up at the same time. Peace found her in such places, with the hope of ill fate avoiding her and those she cared for. In such times, she felt nothing can go wrong, there is nothing bad or evil in the world, and everything is tranquil and simple. A nice illusion, she knew that, but it helped her keep moving forward when she had to face the ups and downs of fate.

Sharla put back her things into her bag, climbed to her feet and walked back towards the woods. She wasn’t sure what did she sense, but she suddenly realised, she wasn’t alone anymore. She didn’t look around, but as she was walking towards the edge of the clearing, she listened carefully of her surroundings. The wind was still whistling, the birds were chirping, but she thought she heard the faint noise of dry leaves’ rustle. Someone was trying to get to her from the behind. With a small movement, Sharla pretended to adjust her bag, while she quickly slipped her hand inside and pulled out her knife, hiding the whole scheming in the cover of her body. She was almost at the border of the woods and the clearing. She didn’t look back, but she knew that the stranger was getting closer, fast. Sharla had to time well. She modified her pace so the person who followed her would catch up at the very edge of the sunny area.

It happened just as she hoped it would. As soon as the hand touched her shoulder, Sharla grabbed the young man’s arm, and pulled him into the shadows of the huge tree that loomed above them. The attacker’s eyes had to adjust to the darkness of the forest shades after radiant light of the clearing. It was only a moment’s distraction, but it bought enough time for the girl to put her knife against the stalker’s throat.
‘Okay, I give up! I admit I can’t sneak up behind you.’ Balgran held up his hands defeated. Sharla’s vision also suffered from the change of volume in lights and shadows, but now that her sight adjusted to the circumstances, she clearly saw who had been following her. It was her remaining best friend, the younger son of the hunter. He was a rather tall man with strong arms and solid built, with nut coloured hair and beard, with a darker brown eyes. Sharla shook her head disapproving, but smiling.
‘Really Balgran, one day you’ll get yourself killed.’
‘Well, couldn’t beat you in fair duel, so I need to compensate.’ He grinned.
‘Not a chance. Besides, you know, for the last few years we had no problems with marauders or outlaws, but you can never be careful alone.’
‘That’s exactly why I’m here. You shouldn’t be out here all alone.’
‘The village isn’t far...’
‘...which means nothing to a group of murderers or rapists.’
‘I noticed you far sooner than you could get near me.’ Sharla put her hands on her waist irritated.
‘Well, I’m not a sneaky little outlaw, who mastered how to be stealthy.’
‘Yup, that’s a fact.’ She grinned in a teasing manner.
‘Aww, you’re mean to your bodyguard.’
‘Bodyguard?’ Laughter burst out of Sharla. ‘Do I need to remind you who is the best fighter of the village?’ She grinned again.
‘I know, but as one of the proud men of Fiude, it is my duty to offer my services to a lady.’ Sharla shook her head again, but she was already smiling by heart.
‘Okay, I confess. I’m glad to see you. What brought you here?’
‘I saw you leaving the village in the morning. We finished our work with my brother, so I came after you. And luckily I’ve found you at the fourth spot.’
‘Wow, you are patient! And more over, you seem to remember our hunting grounds.’ She laughed cheerful.
‘I have a good memory, and I’m always willing to help you and your mother. It’s the least I can do after she helped mother so much. She made her last days so much easier.” A sad smile crawled on Balgran’s face. Sharla hugged him to comfort him.

Balgran and his brother, and of course their father loved Ailan, the sole women in the family. Sharla was still a child, when one of her best friends’ mother got sick. They were still young kids, but old enough to understand what was happening. Ailan couldn’t be cured. The illness slowly ate away her strength, but not her mind. Probably that was the worst part in the whole physical degradation. She could do nothing to stop it, and what awaited her was looming above her and her family’s head. Etalin did what she could to preserve the woman’s remaining strength, to easy her pain, to let her get some rest. But no matter how good a healer she was, some diseases couldn’t be stopped. Although she was wondering to travel to one of the nearby cities where she might find a healer or cleric who could heal with magic, but even that might not have helped. And Ailan made her promise not to go that length for her. She was prepared for what awaited her. She had a good life, she met and married the love of her life, and gave that man two excellent sons. Ailan had nothing to regret.

Balgran hugged her back, then let go of her.
‘Thanks.’ He cleared his throat to find his voice again. ‘So what are you hunting for?’
‘Well, I already gathered most of what I wanted, but we still have some herbs we can look for.’
‘Okay. Where do we need to go?’
‘To our last regular goldmine. We’ll be back in the village within a few hours time. If you have time, I can cook something to dinner for us.’
‘I don’t want to be a burden.’
‘Nonsense! I would cook for myself; another person is not a burden, especially if that person is a good friend.’ Sharla smiled kindly.
‘Okay, agreed. I’m helping to gather some herbs, and you can repay the favour with a nice dinner.’
‘Deal.’ Sharla nodded. ‘Then, follow me. This way.” She went forwards, leading themselves to their last location where they picked the last heaps of herbs.

When they arrived at Sharla’s home, they began to prepare the meal. Although the girl told Balgran to sit down, and make himself comfortable, the young man insisted on helping with the dinner. They peeled and cut the vegetables for the soup together. As usually, they talked about the everyday of the village, joked a lot, and teased each other. As if nothing had happened with their triumvirate. As if they were waiting for Westor to step in through the door. As if after his leave they didn’t came closer to each other, and in the end failed at deepening their relationship. As if there was no hidden tension between them. The cruelty of fate, letting one move forward, while the other half was still longing for what was of the past. Or at least Sharla wanted to move on, but Balgran seemed reluctant to do so. To his account he tried to keep his still deep attachment concealed, and act as a friend or a brother, but the small signs gave him away, like a not so well hidden glance, a too gentle touch, a small gesture. Although Sharla did not draw his attention to the fact, she had noticed these tiny hints; she was neither blind nor insensitive. She knew Balgran too well. Thus it was never stated, but there was a kind of uneasy, uncomfortable tension when the two of them were together. It wasn’t an unbearable amount, and it wasn’t present all the time, but it returned from time to time, and its presence could be felt.

When the vegetable soup was ready, and the table was laid, they sat down. Sharla poured for the both of them, and began to eat. She put some of the freshly gathered herbs as well, since some of them were perfect for spicing too, and some of the day’s bounties were actually for cooking. If she went to the forest to get some medicine ingredients, why not bring home some for cooking as well?
‘Thanks for the dinner, it’s delicious.’
‘You know you’re always welcome to join us.’
‘Yeah, maybe our families should come together more often. The gender balance would be instantly restored.’ Balgran grinned for a split second, and then froze immediately. ‘Okay, that was stupid of me, sorry.’
‘No harm done Balg.’ Sharla assured him with a smile.
‘I admire your mother. She raised you alone and did all the work around the house. And with all those task, she still had the time and energy to help the sick and injured in the village.’
‘Yeah, I often wonder how she can keep it up. Of course, we always had help when we needed. For example, when we had a whole on the roof.’
‘Yeah, I remember. Half the men of the village jumped to fix it.’
‘Uhum. And it warmed mother’s heart. She wants to solve everything alone, because she doesn’t want to bother anyone with her problems, but she really appreciates the help. I think it makes her feel less lonely.’ She sipped another spoon of soup. ‘I don’t know why she didn’t remarry. I am sure many of the villagers would have taken her as a wife, even if she had a husband earlier.’
‘Yeah, father doesn’t want to marry again either. For some, it’s hard to move on. Or even impossible.’ Balgran noted casually. Still, Sharla heard the hidden remark. She put down her spoon and glared at him.
‘Their cases are different. They lived together for years.  They loved the and cared for each other deeply.’
‘Well, they gave each other time.’
‘They had a good reason to give each other time.’
‘Or maybe they had no trust issues. Which is understandable if you…’
‘It wasn’t about trust.’ She interrupted him angrily. ‘We simply do not fit that much! Don’t you remember? We were at each other’s throat too often! Like now.’ A long, unnerving silence began to spread in the room. After some time it was Balgran, who shattered sullenness.
‘It seems we were a lot better as a group of three than a duo. Maybe we should have had a threesome?’
‘Idiot!’ Sharla shook her head smiling. The sudden silly interruption eased her nerves, and with an enormous sigh she got rid of the accumulated frustration. She didn’t want a pleasant day to end with anger.
‘Why? I’m pretty sure Westor wouldn’t have minded either. And I am definitely sure there were some jealous gossips of the three of us.’Balgran grinned.
‘Idiot.’Sharla repeated herself, grinning.

The rest of the dinner went well. They were talking in a cheerful mood again, although they were a lot more careful with jokes, teasing and serious matters. They had a few words about the last news about their friend, who was fighting at the southern battlefront in Lightshore. Several months had passed since they received the vague information, and since then Westor can be a victorious warrior or a fallen soldier. When dusk was settling in Balgran decided it’s time for him to leave. He thanked the soup, and bid farewell. He did not try to force their usual good bye hug.

Sharla lit some candles and begin her last task for the day. She needed to sort out the herbs she gathered. Some needed to be dried, some had to be cut, and others had to be crashed in a mortar. She wasn’t very tired at the moment, and shed had no reason to procrastinate. She wanted to double check the collected ingredients, she examined all the leaves, stems and roots, cut out which looked sick or risky to use. She tied together in small bundles those, which had to be dried, and prepared the rest for tomorrow’s work. She deliberately focused on her current task, and what must be or should be done the following day or days. She didn’t let her thoughts stray away; she didn’t want any of the anger, frustration or depression to return. The carefree, cheerful days ended with the departure of Westor. With the departure of her father. No matter how she disliked it, things had changed. Things always changed, and she had to adapt, or her life would only get miserable. It’s just… sometimes it’s hard, or annoying. Still, she had to move forward.

After she finished the sorting and such, she blew the candles, except for one. She took it with her to the bedroom, where she quickly changed to her sleeping dress. She crawled under the blanket, and she put out the last small flickering flame on the candle wick, darkness immediately embraced her. Sleep didn’t come to her eyes forthwith, but she didn’t have much time to wonder about the day that had passed. Soon she slipped into dreaming, a soothing wave of images took her spirit away, merging past and present into an unrealistic, but joyful vision.



© 2017 Celestirys


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
Added on February 17, 2017
Last Updated on February 17, 2017
Tags: beginning, fantasy, woods, forest, adventure, village, festival, mystery, secret, leaving, family, mother, father, daughter, friend, hero, adventurer, news, war, soldier, runaway