Looking

Looking

A Story by MajesticGust
"

Is he watching her? If so, then why?

"

I was waiting for my drink by the counter.

I felt the eyes gazing at me. I moved to the side a little. The eyes followed me.

I felt uncomfortable.

I turned around to find the one who was staring at me. The cafe was dark and crowded, so I couldn’t quite see everyone.

I turned back around, but the eyes still watched me.

I looked down at my clothes. They seemed modest enough for no one to stare at me. It wasn’t too revealing. It didn’t stick too closely to my body. But despite this, the eyes still watched me.

What kind of pervert…

I turned around again. This time, in the corner, I noticed a middle-aged man sitting on one of the cafe’s couches. He was wearing sunglasses. He was staring right at me.

Old creep.

Knowing who was staring at me, I felt irritated but relieved. It was just some creepy man.

The eyes continued to stare at me.

My drink was taking a while to come out. It must be the crowd. I was getting irritated at the crowd.

Just let me get my drink and leave.

I started to feel panicked at the constant gaze. I wanted to get out of there. The crowd seemed to get bigger.

I stepped up and asked one of the baristas, “How long will my drink take? I am in a little bit of hurry here.”

“I’m sorry, ma’am. Your order will be out shortly.”

Useless worker. You’ll be stuck here for the rest of your life.

The eyes continued to gaze at me. I couldn’t take it anymore.

I slowly walked to the sitting man in the back. He noticed me walking to him and looked up.

“Can I help you?” he asked me as I approached him.

“Can I help you?” You’ve been staring at me for half an hour now, you creep!

I tried to be polite.

“Sir, you have been staring at me for quite a while now. Have we met before?”

He looked surprised.

Yes, I noticed you staring at me.

The people around began to notice. They glanced over at us.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, ma’am. Perhaps you’re mistaken?”

Pretending to be innocent?

I was getting angry. If he apologized right away, I would have been fine. But this old man is pretending to be innocent.

Do I have to be more straightforward?

“Can you stop staring at me?” I shouted a little too loud. The entire cafe was looking at me now.

The man looked confused. The people were whispering to each other.

“Excuse me, ma’am,” the man said suddenly and got up. He approached me.

Stay away, you creep!

My hand swung out and slapped him. The sound resonated throughout the cafe and silenced everyone.

“One caramel mocha for Christopher,” the barista said timidly.

The man walked past me and took the drink from the counter where I was just standing..

“Quite full of yourself, aren’t you?” the man said with obvious anger in his voice.

“The world doesn’t revolve around you. Get used to it.”

The man walked out of the cafe.

Blood rushed to my face. I looked down in shame and rushed out.

© 2019 MajesticGust


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Enjoyed this bit of perspective. I liked how you put the thoughts in italics. This moment had pace, character and mental suspense. Well written.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MajesticGust

5 Years Ago

Thank you for enjoying the story!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

58 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 14, 2019
Last Updated on February 14, 2019
Tags: looking, staring, cafe

Author

MajesticGust
MajesticGust

Alpharetta, GA



About
I specialize in what my professor calls "twisted reality". I only write short fictions, though that may change later on. more..

Writing
Snip Snip

A Poem by MajesticGust