The Story Behind "The Perfect Date"

The Story Behind "The Perfect Date"

A Story by Cree Nations
"

One boy....one girl...one Chevy...one love

"

The Story Behind…
“The Perfect Date”

 

            Hi my name is Cheryl and I was born and raised in a small East Texas town, Tyler, and I loved it.  My entire world was there.  I went to the same schools my Mom and Dad had gone to when they were young, and all my friends were there, and my family.  My cousins were and still are my best friends.  I couldn’t and didn’t want to imagine my life without them.  We did live in other towns briefly.  Like Killeen (Ft. Hood), Longview, Texarkana, Ft. Worth, and Dallas.  Guess I wasn’t the only one that was miserable, because we always ended up back home in Tyler.

            In the summer of the 8th grade I met a boy, and I thought he was the boy for me and that we would always be together.  But as fate would rear her fickle head early in my life she stepped in and we were no longer together.  Truth is we were broke up, but still loved each other way too much, and well he dated this other girl and well ended up getting her pregnant.  He was (and still is) an honorable person so he married her.  Broke my heart.  Literally broke my heart.  I promised myself that I would never love anyone like that again, because I would never allow anyone to have that much power over me again.  I was fifteen then, and you might think that being that young I didn’t know what I was talking about, well you would be wrong.  I knew exactly what I was talking about, and I knew that I would never love anyone that deeply again. And sad as it is I held true to that promise and denied myself of a lasting relationship with anyone.

            But on to tell about my perfect date.  Oddly enough it was not with my first love.  In the summer before my senior year we moved to Houston, and oh how hard I tried to make sure my parents knew I hated it and was miserable. I went back to Tyler just about every weekend for a while, at least until school started.  However, I do want to take a few words and say that also that summer I met my best friend.  Which is one of the most awesome blessings of my life.  Okay, so school started.  Still miserable.  The kids were just hateful and for the most part snobs!  Now in my homeroom there was one really cute guy and I liked him a lot.  Nothing ever came of it though, at least until years later.  And even then many more years later we got together again for one amazing week.  Wow!

            In my government class there was a boy, a tall blonde good looking boy.  His name is Pete.  He had, still does, the most amazing eyes with thick soft eye lashes, and the best smile in the world.  And oh my, his voice could be felt all over when he spoke.  Still can.  He seemed to be very popular so you can imagine my surprise when he started talking to me and walking me to my next class.  Just looking at him made my heart beat fast, and gave me butterflies in my tummy. 

            We started dating about seven weeks after school started.  We weren’t exclusive, but we never missed a week without seeing each other besides daily in school.  Pete knew that I missed my hometown, and he always tried to make me smile, he still does.  Pete could be spelled ‘special’.  

            Okay now remember I told you that I’d met my best friend the summer before school started.  Her name is Sue.  Anyway me, Sue, and Pete ran around a lot together in Pete’s black Chevy.  So even though I was crazy about Pete I still missed my hometown, and the first love.  And as that old fickle fate lady would have it, first love and his wife were separated after having a baby girl.  Well like I say ‘fate’ just has never been a friend to me, and as she’d have it first loves wife and daughter moved to Pasadena, which is a sub-burb of Houston.  So first love would come to Houston to see his baby, who by the way was the cutest most precious baby I’d ever seen or held.  I loved her so much because she was part of him.  So you can see where the confusion of the heart came out to play right? 

            Now don’t get the wrong idea here, first love and I did not date or go out at all then.  He would come by my house and visit, and he’d bring the baby.  Since we’d kinda grown up with each other he and my parents were close. 

            I knew in my heart that I could love Pete, if truth be told, I was already  in love with him.  So much in love that I was afraid to show it.  I knew he cared a great deal about me, and well if his career plans hadn’t been part of a family tradition things may have turned out differently.  He wrote in my year book…”to the girl who almost wrecked my four year plan”.

            Back to the perfect date.  One weekend Pete and I had a date.  Well the whole week before the date he and Sue and even my Mom all acted quite strange.  You gotta remember we were only sixteen and for him to plan something so major and have it go off without a hitch, unless you want to count me crying like a baby, was simply amazing.  He did have a lot of help from Sue too.

© 2015 Cree Nations


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

want to know what happened next

Posted 10 Years Ago


Cree Nations

10 Years Ago

It's there. Just click on "The Perfect Date". Let me know what you think.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

614 Views
1 Review
Added on October 7, 2013
Last Updated on November 12, 2015

Author

Cree Nations
Cree Nations

Houston, TX



About
Hello, Where to start? I always have trouble with this part for some reason. Texan that's me. Religiously speaking I don't fall into any denomination. I believe in God and have the highest regard for .. more..

Writing
Dignity Dignity

A Poem by Cree Nations