The Haunted Mansion

The Haunted Mansion

A Story by Stacey Mckinnon
"

Descriptive essay Int 1

"

My eyes tightened. The wind was gently caressing the back of my neck sending shivers through my entire body. I stared at the mansion for a couple of seconds before going through the creepy garden as it mocked my bravery. Pushing over-grown weeds and a stench what can only be described as moldy sewage, I eventually reached the old black door. I didn’t even have to touch the door to open it �" by now the wind was blowing strongly as though its life depended on it.

 

Looking back at the lonely garden it was darkened with dying flowers and over-grown weeds. The weeds seemed as if they were there for a long time because they were brown, stocky and limp; which in the dark looked like dark shadows of pure evil, waving around in the cold wind. The depression of the dying flowers overtook the garden with its sad petals gently falling to the ground with vengeance and spite. The sinister garden looked even more out of place under the reflection of the shimmering moon while the stars danced around it.

 

A devilish bat flew out in front of me causing me to shift my focus from the sinister garden to the dilapidated mansion. I could feel my eyes popping out my head when I took a step back and saw that the house was enormous in size with broken windows, half a fence and a chipped door. Taking one step into the house all I could hear was the screaming floor boards, while surrounded by darkness. Walking up the narrow hallway there were a lot of really old paintings. One of them caught my attention more than others; it was a big black and white painting with a gold shimmering frame. The man in the painting had the most distinctive eerie green eyes and I felt as if they were watching me. He looked like he was from another century, with his dark worn out clothes and hair like a shabby dog. His face was contorted; it seemed as if he had to force a painful smile.

 

It seemed like forever until I got to the stairs. Chinese prints were covering the stairs �" painted to perfection. It was the strangest thing I had ever seen, brightly coloured dragons and flowers took over the banister. Finally at the top of the stairs I started walking towards the big metal door at the bottom of the hall. It was a silvery colour with gold tints when the moon shined down on it. Just under the window of where the door stood sat an antique chest. It glistened under the moonlight like a diamond shining underneath the sun. It had the most amazing feel to it; it was a soft type of leather that was smooth to touch. I tried to open it but there was a big monstrous brass padlock blocking my way. I sat back with the chest in my lap, feeling the texture of the floor on my hand; it felt as if it was going to crumble if I stood back up. I turned my head slightly to the right and again I saw the big metal door, it looked different in the moonlight, it looked beautiful, the metal from the door glistened against the light from the moon making it stand out. I could see the coldness of my breath as I breathed slowly into the shadows of the hall while looking to my left to make sure no one was coming.

 

I dragged my hand along the floor and felt something hidden in the dust of the wood; it felt thick and had a weirdly shaped handle. I picked it up and saw it was a key. It was a lot bigger than you would expect, it was very dark in colour and very heavy in weight. I looked down at the chest and took the key towards the key whole and with a click and a snap, it was open. My eyes tensed again; there was nothing in the chest except a blood red fabric with glittery shavings inside. I fell back on the wall and looked down to the hall. I felt totally flushed and a little limp. My body felt like jelly, I couldn’t move. It was then I saw it, this bright glowing light which gleamed off the walls, hitting back towards my view which made my eyes slam shut. I couldn’t see and I heard nothing, I didn’t know what was happening.

 

© 2011 Stacey Mckinnon


Author's Note

Stacey Mckinnon
Comment :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on November 8, 2011
Last Updated on November 8, 2011

Author

Stacey Mckinnon
Stacey Mckinnon

edinburgh, Midlothian, United Kingdom



About
Where to start.... I KNOW XD My name is Stacey McKinnon and I am 19. Some people may say I have... an abnormal imagination because at times I come out with the most weirdest things. I am very op.. more..

Writing