Somewhere Only We Know

Somewhere Only We Know

A Story by Chellie
"

For the Picture This! Contest. Read First Part of Authors Note before you read the story!!!!!

"

Somewhere Only We Know

     It was an old dirt road in the middle of nowhere. A dirt road that was made by us walking back and forth all of these years. It was a place that we had visited often, but not nearly enough. We spent countless days of our summer vacations there, swimming in the river that ran through the big meadow, swinging from the rope that you tied to the huge tree above.

     It was there that we found love in each other. The place where you asked me to be your girlfriend. The place we shared our first shy and noticeably inexperienced kiss. Where we spent countless hours staring up at the night sky trying to count the stars as you held me tightly in your arms. It’s where we lost our virginity to each other. Where you got down on your knee and proposed to me. Where I said yes to your proposal. It was also the place we came to get away; escape from the real world.

     The meadow was our place. It was a place of happiness, and joy, and memories never forgotten. When there, time was of no importance, and it almost felt as if time itself would slow just so we could be together. It is where we would go so nobody would see us cry or hear us yell about all the bad things in our lives.

     Some of the greatest memories are the little ones. We used to take a big quilt and lay it out in the tall grass in the spring. You would bring your guitar and sing songs that you had written just for me. We would make a big lunch to take with us so that we wouldn’t have to worry about leaving to get food. I would always have to pack a Hershey’s bar for us to share after lunch. It was always your favorite, and you would sulk if I forgot. We would have tickle fights almost every time we were there, and we would end up laughing so hard we couldn’t breath.

      Because I lived on a huge farm only about a mile away, we would ride bikes to the little dirt road and then ditch them in the grass halfway to the meadow. Even after we had wed, we would ride bikes down to the meadow and spend the day there.

     As a married couple we made new memories there. It’s where I told you that we were expecting our first child, even though we lost it three months later. It’s where we tried for another child, numerous times.

     And though there were many good memories, there were also many bad ones. It’s where many fights between us took place. It’s where you broke your leg, I broke my arm, and we both had to spend months in casts. The meadow is also where our lives changed forever.

 

 

 

     One day as we were walking back to our bikes I noticed that you were lagging behind. When I turned to tell you to hurry I saw that your eyes were glossy looking. I asked you what was wrong, but as I started to make my way over to you, your body fell to the ground. You seemed to jerk around, your whole body shaking. You were making little gag-like noises as your body jumped and jerked on the ground. I called your name over and over, then realized that you were having a seizure.

     I pulled out my cell phone and dialed 911. Though I didn’t want to leave your side, the operator told me to run out to the road and place one of the bikes on the side so the ambulance would see it. It felt like the longest run for such a short distance.

     When I got back, you weren’t breathing. The operator explained how to do CPR, and so I began to pump your chest. When I was breathing life into your now lifeless body, I felt myself start to loose it. The panic really began to set in.

     Finally after what seems like forever, the ambulance arrives and they take over trying to bring you back to me. They don’t allow me to ride with you, but an officer gives me a ride to the hospital.

     It was over two hours before they let me see you. You were in a coma, and the doctor told me that you would never wake up again. I sat by your bed for hours, maybe even days, crying. I couldn’t believe that I might never get you to myself again. Never get to feel your touch, hear your voice, see your smile. I denied it. The doctor suggested letting you go, but I couldn’t. I couldn’t just give up on you; you never gave up on me. You would come back to me. You always did, no matter what.

 

 

 

     It has been six months since he had his seizure. I still visit him everyday and pray that one day he will wake up. I tell him our story, the good memories, bad memories, and about his seizure. I don’t know if he hears me, but I tell him anyway.

     Today I am doing what I have done so many times before; I am going to the meadow. I jump on my bike and start peddling down the road. I begin thinking of him again, and I swallow the lump that made it’s way into my throat. It’s still hard without him. I have known him my whole life. We started out as best friends in second grade, and when we got into high school we fell in love. Life without him doesn’t really fill like life at all, and everyday is a constant struggle.

     I make it to the dirt road that I am so familiar with. I ride the bike half way then ditch it in the grass. I walk the rest of the way and sit down in the grass overlooking the river, pulling out a Hershey‘s bar from my pocket. My fingers peel away the rapper, and I munch into the chocolate bar. This is the first time coming here since he has been in the hospital. Tears roll down my face, and I bring a hand up to wipe them away. But I cant stop crying now, and my tears soon turn into sobs. I wrap the chocolate back up and stuff it back into my pocket again.

     Maybe it is time to let him go. Maybe I do need to move on. Sobs came harder as I contemplated it. I can’t stay here. I can’t think like this. I get up and start running across the meadow to the dirt road. I stop at the spot where I last saw him walking. My heart seems to squeeze in my chest and I began moving again.

     I make it back to my bike, but my phone rings before I can get on. I don’t recognize the number and almost don’t answer, but thought it could be my boss from his hotel room. I flip the phone open and answer.

     It’s the hospital. My heart races as I think of the worst. I almost hang up right then. I don’t want to know that he’s gone. I’m not ready, and I don’t know how I will handle it. But the nurse talks anyway. What she tells me makes me drop the phone. My heart stops for a minute and I bring a shaky hand up to my mouth.

     Tears rolled down my cheeks again. I started jumping up and down screaming at the top of my lungs. He was alive. He was alive and awake, and he was asking for me. I picked up my phone, jumped on my bike, and peddled as fast as I could back to my house. When I got there I ran inside, grabbed my car keys and flew to the hospital.

 

 

 

     I ran through the doors, down the hallway, and all the way to his room. The doctor is outside his door waiting for me. He tells me that he remembers everything that happened to him. He told me to go see him, but stopped me right before I walked into the door. I gave him a confused look, but he put a hand on my shoulder and told me that I was right. I always knew that he would wake up, and he did. I believed, and it worked.

     I walked into the room and stopped dead in my tracks. For the third time that day tears made their way down my face. There he was. Sitting up in the hospital bed, his trademark smile spread wide across his face. I smiled, and let a small sob escape my lips as I made my way to his bedside. I looked down at him and saw that he was looking at me. His eyes shifted down, and his hands went to my stomach trying to feel his baby inside.

     I watched as tears poured from his eyes. He scooted over on his bed, and I laid beside him as he wrapped me in his arms. Finally after all this time I get to feel his touch again. We didn’t even say anything to each other. We just sat there in his bed and stared into each others eyes.

     The doctors never did find out what caused the seizure. It will always be a mystery. They also said that he could have another one, but that there is a low chance of him actually having one.

     It’s funny really, how everything seems to happen in that place. The place that nobody but me and him know about. The place where so many memories, good and bad were made. Somewhere only we know.

© 2009 Chellie


Author's Note

Chellie
Read this before you read the story:
The story changes point of view halfway through. First part is like she is telling a story to someone, the second part is just in her point of view. Just so you don't get confused. Sorry if it confuses you anyway. I tryed to make it as least confusing as possible without ruining the story and what I was trying to tell.

Read this after you have read the story:
Ok. So there it is. I hope everyone liked it and hope it wasn't too confusing. Yes I realize that the people have no names. I did it on purpose so that you could really put yourself into that characters shoes. I wasn't really sure if I should end it the way I did, but I decided to do so. I might post this story later with a slightly different ending. So tell me what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Story's with no named characters are fine. If they have names the names get turned around and then you have a mess of names. The story was good filled with hart and passion. It didn't make me cry. But still it was full of emotion and pain. I could almost see the tears raining from her fave as she rode in a frenzy to get to the hospital. good

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Story's with no named characters are fine. If they have names the names get turned around and then you have a mess of names. The story was good filled with hart and passion. It didn't make me cry. But still it was full of emotion and pain. I could almost see the tears raining from her fave as she rode in a frenzy to get to the hospital. good

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like it. I especially like the connection to the 'special place'. I also like that you didn't give them names. I could really feel their love for each other.

I, too, noticed that you changed tense a couple of times and it was a little distracting, but no big deal.

I would like to see the other ending.

I saw this in the 'Love... it's Complicated' contest.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I felt myself as the female character. It was so real, and so beautiful. I almost burst into tears of sadness, then tears of joy. Beautifully done. My heart raced when she got the call.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

One of the greatest things I've ever read! This story really kept me on my toes and suspence was growing through out it, too.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chellie

11 Years Ago

Thanks. Glad that you like it.
I really like this story! I think it could even be longer. There's a lot of great history between these two characters. The changes in scenes were a little confusing but I was able to get through it well enough. If you ever wanted to do more with this story, I would definitely suggest fixing that but for this purpose, I think it's fine. There were also a couple of places where you switched between past and present tense but again, it didn't take away from the readability. I think the end was perfect and it made me so happy for them to be together again. There are too many sad stories out there. I love a happy one!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

oh my gosh that was so sweet. I like the no-name idead. The imagry was incredible in this story, and I really felt like I was in the moment with the charectars. Great story, thank yo so much for entering my contest:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like the story and the ending, the emotion of the character is very well written.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I enjoyed this story. It actually made me cry, though I hate to admit it. Please take that as a compliment ; )
It wasn't confusing in the least, especially after you explained it. I also liked that it didn't have names. It did make me feel closer to the characters rather than farther away from them.
This was an amazing story, and you did a great job writing it~

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was really a great story and its interesting as you made the story into twoi different points of view...

I really liked this story :)
and you did a great job

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this has got to be one of the best peices ever

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1488 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on August 22, 2009

Author

Chellie
Chellie

CA



About
I am a writer of many genres and styles. I love poetry, short stories, and novels. If I had it my way I would spend my days sunning in the pool with a book in my hands. And at night writing till my he.. more..

Writing
In The Moment In The Moment

A Story by Chellie


All Of Me All Of Me

A Poem by Chellie


Crave Pt. 2 Crave Pt. 2

A Poem by Chellie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Everyday Everyday

A Poem by Manda