The Dice

The Dice

A Story by Chellie
"

A short story about the life of a dice in a casino.

"

The Dice

 

I am a worker. In fact, that’s all I do, all day, and all night, is work. I never get a break; never get to take five. I am a dice, and I work at a casino.

I have been handled by millions of different people, and learned so much about them just by the feel of their hands. For example, when their hands are soft, it usually means that they take good care of them, maybe using lotion or washing their hands periodically. Some have very rough and callused hands, maybe workers, like me.

Day after long day, I work, allowing my handlers to pick me up and throw me. Some cradle me in their hands and bring me to their face; whispering, pleading with me to roll the right numbers. Others will just blow on me, though why I never understood. And then there are the people who just pick me up, shake me briefly, and then toss me onto the table. It’s my choice whether the person is lucky or not. If the person handles me right, and does not treat me wrong, I will gladly grant their wish, and make sure I land on the lucky numbers.

Though my job sounds quite painful, I actually love what I do. I love how the short fall from the hands of a person to the table feels, as I soar through the air. And how when I hit the table, I tumble and roll, loving the feeling. When I come to a stop I’m dizzy for a moment, but am quickly scooped back up into the hands of another person.

This is my life. I am a dice, and I work at a casino.

© 2009 Chellie


Author's Note

Chellie
I did this for a contest on another website. Storywrite.com. The contest was to pick an object named in the description and write something surrounding the object. You got extra points for making the object sound like a person talking.

I have actually wanted to write a story in the point of view of an object for some time now, but I never got around to doing it until I came across this contest.

Though I would post this on here, because I post everything on here.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I really enjoyed this. I recently wrote a poem from the point of view of a guitar, and I find that it being narrated by an inanimate object makes it very interesting. I especially liked:

"Others will just blow on me, though why I never understood."
I found it funny, mostly because you never really think about how the dice may "feel" when you do odd things to it while trying to get the right numbers.

Great write. :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I did not think I would enjoy a story from a dices perspective but I did! I am amazed at how well written this is. I know I could never write a story from the perspective of dice.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really enjoyed this. I recently wrote a poem from the point of view of a guitar, and I find that it being narrated by an inanimate object makes it very interesting. I especially liked:

"Others will just blow on me, though why I never understood."
I found it funny, mostly because you never really think about how the dice may "feel" when you do odd things to it while trying to get the right numbers.

Great write. :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

253 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 30, 2009

Author

Chellie
Chellie

CA



About
I am a writer of many genres and styles. I love poetry, short stories, and novels. If I had it my way I would spend my days sunning in the pool with a book in my hands. And at night writing till my he.. more..

Writing
In The Moment In The Moment

A Story by Chellie


All Of Me All Of Me

A Poem by Chellie


Crave Pt. 2 Crave Pt. 2

A Poem by Chellie