The Valley of Bitter Water's

The Valley of Bitter Water's

A Story by Cherrie Palmer
"

native american

"

None but me stand; waves of anger and sorrow flood my depths as I see the ground beneath me soaked in the souls of my people.  The bonfire blazes, I have laid out the drums and pipe to call the spirits, though I have not a kinsman to beat the drums or pass the pipe.  Great care will be given to send them to the stars.

 My heart and mind can hear both music and song as my feet begin the dance of death to send them on their journey. “Mother, father of days long lived receive these people of noble honor. Cradle my son and make him a man and give comfort to his mother.”

The wind whispers in my ear but will not tell me what destroyed this place. I know not what beast or devil laid waste to my people. Braves dead without a fight, maidens lifeless with no hope of a kiss and I away looking for a new place for us to live. Now my walk will be without life as I prepare to dance.

The memories of their faces line the circle. Heavy are their souls waiting for me to release them. I have taken great care to my costume every feather and bead in place. My dance follows the trail of the moon my heart is heavy as is my feet and with the rising of the sun I leave the valley of bitter waters.

© 2018 Cherrie Palmer


Author's Note

Cherrie Palmer
will add more later

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Read slow and see if you can incorporate the rhythm to the words that are blooming, drumming,a low vibration to rumble,to tighten a jaw line,a crow caw to bring us to the carrion, so we the readers can dance in your path.our tears smoke on the nights cool moon light.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Whitney Shaw

10 Years Ago

I liked it, it was a very beautiful poem. and I liked the photo as well, it caught my eye.
Earl Schumacker

6 Years Ago

Hi Cherrie, Great Title. Great story. I enjoyed it immensely. Wow! It has all of the elements .. read more
Cherrie Palmer

6 Years Ago

I seen the photo and the story just came from that. I wanted it to have a very historical sound



Reviews

Interesting read. You set the scene well and leave the reader to form their own conclusion as to whether this is a natural or man-made disaster. I plump for natural as the poignancy filters through the mystique of tribal folklore and we feel sad for this man.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I wanted to leave the cause of death a mystery. Either scenario happened bobbin history. I may pin.. read more
I want to hear more ^ I liked this it begs for more I think you definitely did a bit of channel in these words they ring authentic. A strong spiritual cry for the losses come across and it does have a lulling cadence and intensity to its flow.... more please :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

There is a part two I haven't put them together yet. "Part Two of The Valley Of Bitter Waters /Th.. read more
Profoundly perceptive and richly empathetic.
Caused this reader to feel as if something real were happening--had happened.
A compelling portrayal, gifted poetess!


Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you, I found the picture and this just unfolded from there. I wrote a part 2 and I have part .. read more
The history of your post is completely foreigh, unknown, to this ignorant Brit. However your phrasing has created an ancient atmosphere, not mythical but really quite real.. that phrase, ' .. Braves dead without a fight, maidens lifeless with no hope of a kiss and I away looking for a new place for us to live.. ' really touced emotions. I ought to study more, discover happenings outside my own history.. there's still time.. must choose when. Thank you so much, Cherrie, you've truly opened a book and let out its relevance in native history.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you Emma
I finally did a part two to this story and have part 3 in my head (a dangero.. read more
emmajoy

5 Years Ago

Must look for and read the second part and really look forward to part 3!
Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I need to put them all together
You've piqued my interest . . . This beginning is rich with promise through an ancient culture's beliefs, the wealth of their history brimming with emotion, all stirred with the ladle of heritage and traditional values.

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I found the picture and the idea just popped in my head.
Very interesting poem. It was great and it had a good flow. I also like really the meaning of the poem!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Powerful words shared dear Cherrie. The Sand Creek massacre is one of many. The book "Century of dishonor' by Helen Jackson told the truth. We must remember he past. For the past not to be repeated. Thank you for sharing your amazing words and thoughts.
Coyote

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Definitely add more. Incredible words. Universal conscious mind, keep this piece alive.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Once I decide on his next backdrop I will add to this.
It sounds like it would be a good book; however, it doesn't sound like a book I would be interested in (this has nothing to do with you). It is well written.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

7 Years Ago

those can make the best reviews thank you
Well written, but I needed much more.
Maybe manana,
Jip

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 9 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

866 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 9, 2013
Last Updated on December 31, 2018
Tags: death dance_indian

Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Last Waltz The Last Waltz

A Poem by Muse