A Fishing Tale

A Fishing Tale

A Story by Cherrie Palmer
"

You never can trust a fisherman or girl

"

I raced the sun to claim my position on the water’s edge. I have enjoyed this quiet spring morning. The cresting of the day, pelicans resting on the peer and bait fish  splashing around.  Soon I noticed this small girl skipping to the docks end. Curiously, I watched her tie what looked like a bone to the end of her fishing line.

I wondered where her family was. She seemed too young to be allowed out, on her own. She giggled loudly as she flung her lure with purpose. It zipped through the air as far as she could throw it. Without noticing I found myself slowly working my way around the cove getting closer to her side. Her little pink overalls and pigtails of wheat were adorable. If she caught nothing at all this day, I was hooked for sure.

Once I rounded the curve of the beach I could hear her calling out, “Spot! Here Spot!” at first I thought she was calling for her pup. It took me a while before I could tell for certain. She was calling to something in the water.

“Silly girl,” I chuckled. I couldn’t stop watching. I had stopped fishing all together, still working my way toward her. She would fling her line and reel it back as fast as she could, giggling loudly, and calling for Spot. I had been so engrossed watching the lass, the quake that followed her lure had eluded me.

Within twenty minutes, I had made my way around the pointe and was standing on the dock next to her. “You won’t catch much making all that racket.” I told her.

“I can, catch you,” she sheepishly said.

I let out a boisterous belly laugh and grabbed my side. My eye was on her line. I listened to it sing as she franticly reeled it in. Her smile was enormous and filled with expectations.

“Yeah!” She hollered. “You made it here just in time!” She shrieked.

I glanced her way and gave her a quick wink and turned my attention back to the thundering quake that pursued her makeshift lure. I shook my head what could be pursuing a silly ham bone. My eyes were glued to the water.

 With no time to react or even scream a large beast of the sea lunged toward me.  They say your life flashes before you, right before you die, but that is not so. My memories seemed to be spilled upon the sand.

Once again I found myself standing on that peer. I was in daze and the ghost child reached up her hand to me.

“come sit with me and let’s see who else we can catch.”

© 2017 Cherrie Palmer


Author's Note

Cherrie Palmer
a tale for our next fishing trip

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

that was wonderful! I truly enjoyed that. very well written and exciting. love a chilling tale

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

Thank you Patricia. Was having a bit of fun with the kids.
My father often made up amazing stories (he was such a great story teller) The sad thing is nothing was ever written down so what I have now our only my memories of those stories.
Your grandchildren are so lucky as we now live at a time when recording stories is easy.
I was captured by your story...No pun intended...
Actually, this is my first time reading stories on Writers Cafe as I am so involved with the poems..
Delighted I happened on here very early this morning to find your enchanting story.
Loved it,
Lisa, early in Spain

Posted 2 Years Ago


Lisasview

2 Years Ago

I have written several stories over the years
Perhaps I will submit one💕💕
Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

Think of you Grandpa. Don't be afraid to 'tell ' some of it. The voice of the narrator is pivotal. .. read more
Lisasview

2 Years Ago

Thank you fir your encouragement
It was my father that told the stories.
Lisa
I read this early today and vowed to return when I had time to give you a proper review.. this was brilliantly captivating.. from the title to the question of who else can be caught up in the fish tale.. there are a lot of fishermen and girls in my family.. and each started with a stick and a string and a safety pin.. and each one of us has a tale to tell.. some have more than one.. thank you for posting this just when I needed it.. I hope the fish has as much pleasure for it's part in the tale.. if I am not mistaken it still hasn't actually been caught..

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

Yes it got away:)
We too are a family of fishermen. So I am partial to a good whopper.
olla

2 Years Ago

smiling here..
You captured my imagination with this one Cherrie, and the ending was not what I was expecting. I love a good ghost story, and this was one of them.

Chris

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

:) thank you. I tried to keep the ending a surprise
Woo, that was a good one! --- I was held by the writer's thoughts and never suspected that ending, although, I liked it a lot. LOL

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

It's definitely a fishermen's tale :)
Aw, ya GOT me... lol, ready? "hook, line, and BONE".... fun stuff Cherrie.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

Thank you, I was thinking about changing it alittle but I think I'll leave it as is. The grandkids.. read more
roarke

4 Years Ago

I think you composed a grand and original twist, and I'd leave it as is. Grandkids are a great inspi.. read more
Well written great story and then teased into a cacophony of thoughts i felt your ending line seems to be your thoughts

Posted 4 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

Thank you Kent. I like trying to spring the ending on the reader, and what better way than a fishing.. read more
Dear Cherrie,
A very imaginative tale here with a cutely eerie twist! The child’s allure, the narrator’s amusement and the quick pace are so well written. I especially like your choice of words in the first sentence of the story. Had me hooked. I love such artful usage of words.
~Divya 💕

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I dust off my inner child and write several stories for my grandkids.
DIVYA

5 Years Ago

Your grandkids are having an awesome time and learning to be creative and imaginative too. It’s th.. read more
I loved this. A little poem, a little mystery, a great twist.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I write several stories for my grandkids.
Lyn Anderson

5 Years Ago

This one is very good
Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I think I take the most delight in writing them.
The story had great description on the setting which I liked. The ending isn't what I expected which was good too

Posted 5 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

783 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on May 13, 2016
Last Updated on March 7, 2017
Tags: ghost_fishing

Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Distance Distance

A Poem by A. Amos