A new Day Chapter 4

A new Day Chapter 4

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer
"

the all clear is given

"



“I’d like to apologize for postponing our meeting, these last two times.” The D.A. said in a very professional manner.

For a moment I studied his face. I’m no poker player but I searched for some kind of tell. Something to prepare me for his decision, either to pursue this case or declare it self-defense. My mind was dizzy with the ‘what if’ game in full play.  His large over-sized desk made me feel small and insignificant.



“That’s alright, I understand.” I smiled and fought the urge to hold my breath.


“Ms. Davis, I will, read the statement that my assistant took from you three weeks ago. Please let me know if you are in agreement?” His pleasant expression seemed to melt away, and with his new countenance I felt my blood pressure climb.


 “On September the 3rd, I returned home from a trip to the City. I had taken my nieces to see a ballet. Everything seemed in order. I got home around 1:00AM. I took off my heels and headed to the bathroom. I hadn’t turned any lights on and was struck from behind. I fell to the floor. That’s when I saw Jason. He stood over me. He was yelling about, how his girlfriend left him. How it was all my fault for turning him in.” The D.A. continued to read my statement, but the flat words of the page fell on deaf ears. As the night sprang into living color I traveled back in time.  A bead of sweat formed on the base of my neck.  A surge of Heat flooded over me. I forced myself to concentrate.  “Now, is that a factual statement, Ms. Davis?”


“Yes, sir, that’s just how it happened.” It was my turn to wear a poker face, I just wanted to get out of that office.


“Please sign and date this for me.” His smile was involuntary, not at all natural.


He studied my matching black-eyes, and cast. “I want to take this time to let you know my office will not prefer charges. A long breath of air escaped me.


“It is a clear case of self-defense. Our State has the ‘make my day’ law. That alone is enough to clear you. Besides the fact he had no reason to be in your home, ex-brother n law or not.  I hope you can put this behind you. Ms. Davis you are free to go.” He stood to shake my hand. I offered him a firm hand shake. I wanted to return his smile, but could not.


As I turned to go he called out to me. “Ms. Davis, His family is pretty upset. I’d steer clear of them for a while. It’s just the smart thing to do.” His advice was more curt than polite. He gave a small tilt of the head. A soft spoken exclamation mark of sorts. This was not a request.


“That won’t be a problem, and thank you.”  Each step I took made me breath just a little easier.


Lindsey, my friend drove me home. This would be my first time back in the house since the whole ordeal. She drove without talking, so I sat there quietly.  We had been very close, but somehow nothing was the same. Even though she had let me stay with her. The ease in which we could talk was gone.  She pulled up to the front door. “Would you like for me to come in with you?”


It was a kind offer but I knew she didn’t want to. “No, no I can take it from here. Lindsey thanks for everything I couldn’t have gotten through it without you.” A soft smile, filled my face and I felt twenty pounds lighter. “Please come see me. Later on.  I have a feeling, I’m going to need a friend.”


“I will. You be careful.” And just like that she drove away. My gut screamed you’ll never see her again. While my heart reasoned, she just needs some time.  A storm cloud rolled in front of the sun. It seemed fitting because as I entered the house the atmosphere darkened.




© 2017 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This chapter leaves your reader wondering if our lady turned killer out of necessity is, overall, truly relieved to not face charges, to not find herself in court with a first class opportunity to tell all the world the piece of crap guy this dead fellow was, for all his friends and family to see and hear ... Hence, my mind thought I sensed that she was ready to get on with her life, but also had secretly wished for her chance to bury the SOB in court for all the world to see ... And so, getting away with murder has become, somewhat, anticlimactic--not at all what her raging heart truly wished for ... But, her mind, grown cold and calculating, knows, of a surety, what is best, and angry egos had best be buried with the dead, for now anyways, to be taken out and dusted off for savage use at the proper place and time in the future, if that opportunity should ever arise ... Short, sweet, deadly powerful ...

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

7 Years Ago

My idea for this story came from you. I wanted to take the blending of emotions that happen and try.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

275 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 4, 2017
Last Updated on May 12, 2017


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing