Car 48

Car 48

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer
"

you cannot always spot the good, from the bad

"

 

“Mrs. O’Keefe, Ma’am please don’t send me with anything else. The sandwiches are plenty.” The young officer lifted his hat, running his fingers through sandy hair. “I have a long shift ahead of me, and prisoners.”

 

“Oh, a little snack will do you good, and theses brownies will be the best you've ever eaten.”  Her words worked in harmony with her actions as she plucked the little brown bag from his hand to add the brownie.

 

“Thank You Ma’am.” Trying to escape the mother hen he then turned to Marion. “I’ll be sure and report to Corporal O’Keefe, about what's happened. He’s furious, that he couldn’t come himself, the eastside is going crazy. I'm sure he'll be by later," more like any second he thought. "I've got to get the subjects to intake and get back in-service,”  the young officer, shook Marion’s, hand and with a goodie bag, and two in tow, headed out.


From a-top the hillside, the city dazzled. Lights twinkled and danced, as the Moon showcased the snow-covered park below. He shook his head as if coming out of a trance. He eyed Ed via the rearview mirror, grimaced, then simply drove away. His passengers remained silent.


He rounded the corner of Fifth and Hudson. The front entrance to the police station stood between two marble columns, brightly lit, what a grand building, build in the 20's. Intake required the officer to use the alley entrance. The processing section of booking was a secured alley entrance fenced off from pedestrians. He would have to announce his arrival on the radio to gain entrance.


T.J. gave his boss the stink-eye. Ed Matthews just laughed making Thomas Jefferson Domingo, livid. “I’ll cut ya, first chance I get,” T.J. whispered through gritted teeth.


“Shut up and relax, you pint-sized psycho,” Ed said with ease.


The young officer made a left. “Shut-up back there!”  The secured entrance just insight.


Their destination one left turn away. However, Squad Car-48 went straight then took the second right to a dead-end alley. He placed the car in park, T.J.’s countenance paled with panic. The kid had been too friendly with the people on the hill. The young officer removed his cover and smoothed this wavy hair. T.J. studied the young man he could see him weighing his options.


Considering his next move, he keyed his mic: “Car-48 to Central, fishermen’s wharf checked all clear, show me 10-7 (off duty).

 


At that moment
T.J. had no doubt the slick sleeved rookie had plans to shoot them right there in the alley.




Central: “Car-48, 10-4.”


With dispatch settled he stepped from his vehicle, walked around to where Big Ed Matthew’s, sat. T.J. could see Ed was relaxed with no worries, but then Ed never worried he just did.




Ed nodded toward the front seat, “Be a good lad and grab my hat.” 


 

To T.J.’s surprise the young officer did just that.  He grabbed the fedora, then opened-up the backseat door where Ed waited.

 

“So, kiddo what’s next?” Ed’s words were playful and inquisitive as he stood to face the young officer.

 

The young man’s uniform a velvety black shined against the night snow. Slowly he reached back over his left hip, moving his hand past his revolver then removed his cuff key and freed Ed, who rubbed his wrist then hugged the boy.  “I’ll never forget this son.” Pete handed his uncle the key. 



 

“You should make Dad’s your next stop,” He said then started walking back to the driver's seat.




Ed leaned down to looked T.J., in the eye. “Well, are you coming?” 




T.J. scooted out of the backseat. Car-48, backed out of the alley to drive away. Break lights came on, and Pete pulled back into the alley. Pete, motioned, for his uncle. Ed opened the passenger side door, and leaned in.


 

"Can you tell me why... why Tony? You know as kids we were friends."

 

 

"I know you were, and I'm sorry about that. I wish I could tell you, but I can't, too much at stake for us both."

 

 

 

Pete and Ed held a look for a moment, Ed closed the door, patted the roof, then Pete drove off. 

 

 

T.J.'s hooked a sharp smile a raw expression that lacked emotion, "You could'a told him the golden rule. Never bite the big dog unless you want'a get bit... I guess everyone but Tony knew that," a heatless sound echoed off the walls. Sounds that the little man called laughter.

 


 

 A lightning hand let an open hand smack T.J. upside the head, "Shut-up, big mouth." 


 

A palm-print flashed red just like T.J.'s eyes. A full smile fanned his face, and he grunted at Ed as he shrugged to rein emotions, but said nothing as he rubbed the spot.




“What," Ed said sharply tilting his head, as he offered T.J. a challenge,  "nothing standing in your way but air and opportunity,” Ed said flatly.

 

 

 

************************************************


Corporal Jamie O'Keefe topped the hill to his parents’, where the porch light shined bright. The corporal was all business, and in a hurry to get inside. He hated that trouble had found his parents. Even if his father, favored, a bit of trouble, he still hated it.


"Central, Car-15, 10-97"(on scene). Jamie released his mic and headed for the door.

 

“Hello, in the house.”  He bellowed as he quick stepped inside.


“Jamie, I didn’t think you were coming till later?” Marion responded. Their voices a mirror match.

 
Seeing only the two of them standing by the fire he asked. “So, where’s the intruders?”


“What kind of question is that for a corporal to be ask’n? Your man has already taken them away. He left about 10 minutes back.”


“No sir, not my man. I took this call myself. It just took me a moment longer to get here. I was on the far-end of town.” Jamie’s face burned redder with each word. “Dad, do you have any idea who came by and or what’s going on?”

 


 Both parents stepped aside revealing Fern, a porcelain beauty, with freshly washed raven hair and doe eyes. She wore several cuts and bruises, along with his mother’s galoshes and a mud crusted dress and despite the trouble he smiled. 

 


“Well, I have this sweet girl, Fern. Who saw, a murder!  A murder, my lad, that’s what I have. I'm thinking you have a crook with a gold star pinned on him.  Stealing your thunder. By the way, the man in the brown suit, Big Ed Matthews. I’ve seen his photo in the papers.” Marion said with a twist of his head. “And he’s an excellent boxer, I might add.”



"Well, you've stumbled into this time!" Jamie’s voice carried weight and authority.



"Watch your tone! It's not our fault someone else beat you here." Marion declared, showing him what authority sounded like. Jamie could only smile at the old man.

 
“Why are they yelling,” Fern asked like she was talking about a television show.



“Oh, my dear, that’s just how it goes around here. We Irish, try to wake the dead.” Edith said with a soft chuckle and smiled at her.  Then faced them both, with her hands on her hips. “Stop yelling!” she commanded. “The girl has had a terrible fright.”


“Sorry.” Both men said in harmony like they had said it, ten-million times before.

 


“Come to think of it that young policeman didn’t wear a name tag.” Marion told Jamie.


 

“How about everyone grab a coat and let’s go downtown for a statement and look through some photos.” His tone warm like a good son, but everyone knew a command once given. 



Jamie, called dispatch from his parent's phone giving orders he did not want broadcasted over the radio. They all road together with Fern in the front seat, she told about the young man, she watched die, how the two men chased her to the O’Keefe’s.

 


Her cheeks filled with color as she described the epic clash she witnessed. She finished off the tale with: “Your dad has fits of stone.”

 


Jamie fought the urge to smile, then keyed his mic: “Central, has Charlie-8 reported back?” Charlie-8, Louise Steelman a lifer the men would say, and a good friend that walked a beat near the park.



“Sorry, Corporal, the park checked clear, no signs of trouble.”


 


 

 




© 2020 Cherrie Palmer


Author's Note

Cherrie Palmer
alright I got the hatchet out time to cut out the dead weight (maybe, I hope).

minutes later… I find that I may have added more words than I cut :(
I'll try again later, shaving is hard.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Overall, I'm very much enjoying your story, but I'm cutting to my overall observations. For the first half of this chapter, I almost forgot that this story is related to the first two chapters . . . the flow & mood felt so different! Early on, your writing is effusive & poetic, taking extra words to leisurely fill in many spots along the way. Then this chapter started out so sparse & brusque, it felt more like a typical crime-investigative story. I found your storytelling (this chp) came alive as soon as we got back to the cottage where Fern was hiding with her newly-adoptive parents. I'm not sure how I feel about these changes of tone. I definitely like the more effusive parts best! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

I thought the flavor of the chapter should match the main players. I'm not sure that works either. .. read more



Reviews

hello, Cherrie Palmer, I really like the overall story (chapter)
within the book. Thing is it got a little too loose. The ending Is great,
The first tow chapters connected. But this one got me lost.
Will, come back and read it better :) -----Maynard

Posted 9 Months Ago


This was another entertaining chapter with the main characters getting together at the end. They're already growing on this reader. I enjoy how your dialogues flow with effortless ease. I think its a tough part of writing a book and I always stutter with my efforts. Learning and enjoying all the way! On to he next chapter!

Posted 12 Months Ago


Hello dear Cherrie. I am loving the story and I return alter to read more. I liked the flow of the story. You are a master of good conversation. You give life and soul to the characters. Thank you for sharing the amazing chapter. I will later and I will read some more.
Coyote

Posted 2 Years Ago


ahahaha .. well ...hatchet or ratchet ... minus or plus ... that's the process of the writer eh!? ;) i'm still held by the story and characters. Plays I have read heap the characters on all at once and I have a heck of a time keeping them straight ... more characters, however ... more color and intrigue... i appreciate the way you are adding them ... very manageable for this old nog! ;} i am eager to get to the finish ... but happy to read the rest of the between :)
E.



This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 3 Years Ago


Overall, I'm very much enjoying your story, but I'm cutting to my overall observations. For the first half of this chapter, I almost forgot that this story is related to the first two chapters . . . the flow & mood felt so different! Early on, your writing is effusive & poetic, taking extra words to leisurely fill in many spots along the way. Then this chapter started out so sparse & brusque, it felt more like a typical crime-investigative story. I found your storytelling (this chp) came alive as soon as we got back to the cottage where Fern was hiding with her newly-adoptive parents. I'm not sure how I feel about these changes of tone. I definitely like the more effusive parts best! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

I thought the flavor of the chapter should match the main players. I'm not sure that works either. .. read more
Oh hell no the green must go dear. What happened to those nice opened paragraphs you had at the beginning? no everything is all squished up tight making my head spin. but the green makes it worse... Still, it was an awesome read and made more sense to me what was taking place on the chapter I started with in which I am now going back to reread for good measure.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Green will go. My app changes the color sometimes and I don't know it's happening until I look or yo.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I wish I could figure out where to look to keep my editing program from changing my font color.
Shep

5 Years Ago


I use Microsoft word for mine then transfer it over it over by copy and paste then change th.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

571 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 24, 2017
Last Updated on September 15, 2020


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Storm The Storm

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer