Eagles Fly

Eagles Fly

A Story by Cherrie Palmer
"

A Saturday visitation

"

Nineteen degrees and blue skies, a perfect day for window watching. An azure sky engulfed the horizon. The Sun's soft yellow turned bright when a zephyr blew back it's morning cover.

 Two eagles soared into view. The pair had been using our yard as a jungle-gym for over two weeks. With a lazy-swoop, they landed in a great oak tree. They rested a few feet from our window.  The female looked on, as the male took to flight. He buzzed our house flying low. I ran from the living room to our dining room window for a better look at him. Jetting between cedars he maneuvered. Then he rose straight up to a sky-blue stage.
 
Mighty wings quickly had him gliding on thermal winds. Soon a second male joined the exhibit. Both eagles flew circling the Sun, surfing the currants. Their wings were stretched tight, being carried even higher.  For a moment we lost sight of them.

As they reappeared, the two were cartwheeling to the earth below. Tumbling down like acrobats. Their intended prize calmly watched from her perch as my husband, and I excitedly gazed on.  Just as quickly as the descent started, it ended. The challengers broke free from one another’s talons. They returned to the heavens, pushing even higher. We, three onlookers, watched in amazement. The two competitors seemed to occupy the same space measuring each other.

The would-be queen sat loftily on her perch.  Waiting to see who would be victorious. With a loud cry, she called to them then fluffed out her plumage.

 We watched the smaller bird soar away,  maybe a bit wiser for the next time. Her victor began his rapid descent feet first. Almost in a free fall, he plummeted to her side. The discovery channel could not compare to our front row seat.

He fanned his tail feathers while using his wings like rotors. He kited straight to her branch. No sooner did he touch the limb that she rested on and he was air-born once more. Hugging the earth, he flew close enough for us to see the nostrils in his beak. A casual flick of wing turned supersonic, and he cleared the tree line. A single tail feather floated down, resting on the frozen ground.

Gracefully she took to air as merrily we watched them leave our sight. We stood for several minutes eager for their return, but they took their merriment elsewhere, leaving us to ponder.

© 2019 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is such a breathtaking little snapshot. I felt like I was there. Beautiful job!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 6 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

6 Years Ago

Thank you, that is what I try to do :)
a breath taking read about a breath taking sight. Very nice.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

6 Years Ago

Right before Christmas we sold our horse ranch and moved way out in the country about 1.5 miles from.. read more
roarke

6 Years Ago

I thought you were already in the country. Sounds like you are moving in the right directions Cherri.. read more
Hi, just read this. I saw you name as a reviewer if one of C.D. Campbell's works and set the curser on your picture.
Eagles? Wow, I've never seen one in situ. I am told we have them in Alabama and the Wheeler Wildlife Refuge on the Tennessee River is home to a clan of them.
We have turkeys here and outside my window right now there is a troupe of 14 scratching the leaves for a hardy bug or green seed. They are regular visitors. I have counted as many as 58, here for a convention I suppose.
I see you write westerns. I started writing short stories to write my own westerns. I will look for "The Knife That Knew No Mercy"

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 6 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

6 Years Ago

it never gets old watching nature in all it's glory. The adult birds are most likely sisters. once a.. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

668 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on January 15, 2018
Last Updated on January 26, 2019
Tags: nature_eagles soaring

Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..