Bon Appetit

Bon Appetit

A Poem by Cherrie Palmer
"

the sweet and the savory

"

The entire kitchen smelled of onions as mother and daughter took them to the blade.

“This will ruin our meal,” the girl said as tears stained her face.

“You just wait and see,” the mother said.

A bit of butter was added to cast iron, and it quickly turned to liquid. Then the onions joined the bath with just a pinch of salt. The rich sound of the sizzle filled the air as the sharp stench soon mellowed to a sweet, savory blend.

They began chopping mushrooms as the onions began to shine.

“Mother these things have no flavor we are wasting our time,”

“You just wait and see.” Is all she said as they added the mushrooms with a spot of sherry.  She carefully spread them out so they had room enough to brown. When everything smelled just right ground pork was cooked twice. All their work was served with wild rice.

“These mushrooms are bold with flavor and the onions delicately sweet.”

“Yes, my dear cooking is like life. We must temper that which is unpalatable and find the secret flavor of the trite.”

Then they toasted their glasses and chimed “Bon appetit.”

© 2018 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
¿
Am here!!
I feel lucky when I get to read something which I'd wanted to....and your poem here is something like that to me...patience and curiosity to find out the hidden flavour from the bland just like we need to do in life....
Cocoa bean are way too bitter but luxurious at the end when it turns into chocolates!
Thanks so much for sharing this dear Cherrie....Be blessed :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you T. I agree I like to read pieces that unfold and include me as the reader.
How ma.. read more
¿

5 Years Ago

Mmm....wish I could count...but, yours and mine granny are one of them indeed! ;)
You're welc.. read more



Reviews

A charming short story. Thoroughly enjoyed

Posted 5 Years Ago


dear Cherrie... how festive to have a recipe for life in prose. I remember the Galloping Gourmet who had a Show. I miss the really good cooking shows. My mouth is watering after imaging the nostalgia of mushrooms and onions simmered in butter. Merry Christmas and Blessings. Cooking is steamy and romantic. truly, Pat

Posted 5 Years Ago


Patricia Wedel

5 Years Ago

Hi Cherrie... I will look up Pasquale Carpino... sounds interesting. We need more cooking ... to st.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Pat I hope you have a beautiful Christmas full of family and blessing.
Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

He was a blast he cooked with wine. He'd drink a sip add a sip most times he cooked by smell, which .. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
¿
Am here!!
I feel lucky when I get to read something which I'd wanted to....and your poem here is something like that to me...patience and curiosity to find out the hidden flavour from the bland just like we need to do in life....
Cocoa bean are way too bitter but luxurious at the end when it turns into chocolates!
Thanks so much for sharing this dear Cherrie....Be blessed :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you T. I agree I like to read pieces that unfold and include me as the reader.
How ma.. read more
¿

5 Years Ago

Mmm....wish I could count...but, yours and mine granny are one of them indeed! ;)
You're welc.. read more
LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! I love to write about food becuz I love to cook. But here you've taken it much further than I ever do in my foodie poems becuz you buried a memorable life lesson using bright analogies. I love the way you pay particular attention to the details we do in everyday life, so you can craft such activities into a parable that represents life. This is brilliant! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Cooking is such an expression of mood. It's funny (odd) how smell guides a dish. It's like light to.. read more
Ok now I'm hungry...lol. I love short shorts like this, one of my favorite forms. Your description and narrative were amazing and the dialogue really on point. This little slice of life had me grinning. Loved it!!!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed this. Sometimes simple is best.
I truly enjoyed your beautiful choice of words to generate those unforgettable kitchen and cooking moments, and the craft you employed to develop the tender bond between mother and daughter. In addition, your clever statement, "We must temper that which is unpalatable and find the secret flavor of the trite" is a savoury moment of wisdom in the successful recipe of life.

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

:) thank you Lanny I appreciate your kind review on this little morsel.
Hopefully, the daughter will learn from her mother. Onions and mushrooms cooked in a little butter is out of this world delicious.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

And a garlic:) let's never forget the power if garlic.
Thank you, Sam
Samuel Dickens

5 Years Ago

Oh, yeah, ya gotta have garlic.
Lovely, I never quite tasted mushrooms, your story here makes them taste sweet.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Well I'll have to cook you up a mess
“Yes, my dear cooking is like life. We must temper that which is unpalatable and find the secret flavor of the trite.” ...Well know I just have to find a tattoo parlor and we are done~ What can I say..content? Come on ..You know what you have done here and to those whom do not it will come....just add the mushrooms to butter...cook on radiant low and wait to add or drink the shot of sherry...therein lies the spice that makes so sweet of all that waits for just the right and patient cook. I want to sit in your kitchen with a glass of red wine conversing over such things as this and wait for the smells to rise. Though I rarely eat as words are best in appetite,, but I can still imagine the sharing..Normal Rockwell-esk..lol. Wonderfully done Cherrie Palmer~ Thanks~

Posted 5 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

He was great he cooked by smell and sang a little Frank a little and inspired me to create many a me.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

And I love the muppets
It's like, I a stranger have been invited to share such a delicious meal of words. Truly savory. Well expressed poetess.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you Kee I'm glad you were able to join our meal.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

514 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 10, 2018
Last Updated on November 10, 2018
Tags: Cooking_life

Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..