part 2 The Valley Of Bitter Waters  / The Search

part 2 The Valley Of Bitter Waters / The Search

A Story by Cherrie Palmer
"

I'm in the neighborhood

"
The moon rose, and the sun followed for two full days.  Grief, my companion pressed me to keep walking. A slight breeze walked ahead of me preparing the woods for my passing. Dog and Cloud, my pale tan painted pony, trailed behind me.  Finally, the pain in my feet grew greater than the loss of my people, and I came to a stop. 

My thoughts wandered back to my village as I returned every one to their own dwelling.  Each of them was carefully tucked beneath their blanket. Then with my pony loaded down, I started my walk and never looked back. There was no need to look back their images were all around me.

Turning to face Cloud he stopped walking. I stroked his neck. "I'm sorry old horse, but I cannot take another step." My stomach protested loudly, but my companion would not let me eat.
I climbed on the litter Cloud pulled behind him. I closed my eyes and dog laid down beside me.   He was more coyote than dog, with a wild heart and the instincts to match. Mostly, he kept me from feeling all alone.  Sleep swept over me. With a sudden jarring motion, Cloud continued our journey to, nowhere. His gentle stride pulled be back to many yesterdays, all of them happy.

Images swam the stream of my memory like late summers salmon compelled to return to the place of their birth. I struggled to wake and free myself from the torment of death shadows. The happy days blended and mixed with the carnage I found. All I wanted was to wake.

A man's battle-cry flooded my mind. The scream grew louder. I made myself wake, rolled off the travois and landed on my feet. With blade in hand, I searched for the fight. Truth rushed over me the screams were mine. I fell to my knees and for the first time cried. 

Women's tears are endless, but men have only so many. As my last tear fell I spied my weapon.

I grabbed my long-gun and took off looking for dinner. The sun hung low, a soft shadow fell across the woods. I faced the stream with the days fading light and posed beside a great tree. Then I waited. The memory of my father waited with me, and I Whispered to him. "So do you think a deer will come," but he had nothing to say back to me. 

 Deer tracks told me they drink here. Evening's shadow thickened. Motion caught my eye a small rabbit hid under a skirted cedar. He nervously twitched his ear as I lowered my long-gun.  My blade cut the air and pinned my dinner to the ground.  I shouldered my weapon and made camp.

Soon a warm glowing fire bloomed all around me.  I watched stars appear and wondered if my wife and son could see me. The thought of them standing there made me rise to my feet. The breeze that walked with me all the day long went to bed, and the forest grew still. The smell of rabbit rubbed in sage enraged my hunger. However, I ate with no satisfaction, then slept without thought.

© 2019 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

this is great, i love this story you managed to come across very authentic in your characters portrayal. I enjoy his dialogue with the spirits in his interactions with the movement of the story, mixed in with his suffering it rings very true and natural.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much. I really have an affection for this story.
I want it to have a natural f.. read more
Robert Trakofler

5 Years Ago

yes yes yes
I love this little mini-story (so far?) I love writing that features a Native American voice & you've done this without any distracting stereotypes. I love the comparison to salmon seeking their home stream. You use such a wide variety of imagery for all the senses which makes your writing sparkle (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Ya know it would be funny to write a comment in the middle of a story.
I may have to do that.. read more
barleygirl

5 Years Ago

Ken Simm uses conversational asides in his writing & I really enjoy them. I agree, I do like the uns.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I agree with that. I heard it said once that the modern/civilized people think they own land. Nativ.. read more
am so glad you posted this your first draft of a particularly engaging tale... I shall enjoy seeing how this pans out and evolves over time...if indeed it does.. I like this version... N

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you:) part 2 still needs a tweak here and there. I think I can finish this in one more sectio.. read more
Neville

5 Years Ago

go for it,, we are waiting :)
Very nice usage of words. I liked it very much! I also liked how easy it was to read for someone who is still learning English.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you Jung Lee. I'm glad learning another language is tough. It is so much more than just learn.. read more
I like how you are using the words. I tell the young writers. Ensure you use the when, what, where, who and how of every situation in the story. You do dear Cherrie. Happy New Year and I wish you happiness and great success in 2019.
Coyote

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I have to go back and clean it up and switch up a word or two but I'm in the neighborhood.
A.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I hope you have a save and happy new year. :) and all the blessings you can hold.
Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

I love your work dear Cherrie. I wish you happiness and a successful 2019.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

331 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 30, 2018
Last Updated on January 29, 2019
Tags: indian_journey_sorrow

Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The wild never The wild never

A Poem by Eilis


April April

A Poem by lightsong


Saplings Saplings

A Poem by Chris Shaw


Lunch Lunch

A Chapter by Ana Papaya