Midnight Interlude

Midnight Interlude

A Poem by Cherrie Palmer
"

the moon

"

Time, now late I sipped warm milk. Then stoked the fire to warm myself. From my window seat, the pond appeared, and the weeping willow shed a tear.

 

The moon bejeweled each blade of grass and its brilliant shine was fully waxed. A lacey rime of frost emerged. Misty tendrils began a dance, and the restless wind mirrored each step.

 

The midnight song of the owl began.  A dainty mouse twitched her ear and moved in closer so she could hear.  The midnight interlude just ahead caused our mouse to hide her head. She did not wish to be a snack, so she let the shadows shade her back. 


 The lofty song filled the night, till a cranky bass leaped into the sky. The offended owl flew away, and the Indigo Blue Bunting took center stage. His brilliant wings colored bright, a display of art by lunar light.


The moon bowed low and from the pond did drink. With time now spent into the water he sank. The light of day opened-up her eyes, and her crested smile so pale of light. A cardinal’s voice began the day, his words of love on display. The morning blushed for all to see and the mated pair landed in a tree. Now my glass is washed and put away, as I reposed to end my day.

© 2019 Cherrie Palmer


Author's Note

Cherrie Palmer
maybe,

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

dear Cherrie.. reading your poem a year later.. I must tell you
that your talent is lovely in a nocturnal nostalgic way. Someday when I am more polished, we should do a collaboration on birds. It will maybe even be five years from now.. to observe nature par to you. truly, Pat

Posted 3 Years Ago


Living in a bird sanctuary... in Virginia, I am amazed at how many bright red Cardinals and their mates
in pale tan with a rosy tint... seem to fly around in pairs. The Bluejays must be confirmed Bachelors... never admitting of a family to support. The mourning doves seem to enjoy the day... no matter how gray.
They all even the Ravens devour the seeds that I scatter on railings. I put out unsalted Peanuts for the Squirrels to crack and enjoy, but before they even discover the Nuts, the Ravens pick them up and take them to their Lair wherever that may be. Reminds me of the lonely man who showed us his ID that showed he worked at Quantico, but needs a handout at the restaurant we parked our vehicle. My husband a Veteran who takes dialysis for three years three days a week and has diabetes and ptsd was stand nearby.
We live in a world of hungry people... some just crossing our border. truly, Pat

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Good morning Pat what a great snapshot of your window view, and of the concerns of the heart.
Quite a descriptive offering here. Nicely drawn images that almost paint a picture for the mind. It is amazing how many things take place before our eyes if we are ready to look for them.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I never get tired of watching nature and people. I guess all writers are like that.
I like the interesting words you picked. Nice! I enjoyed it!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you JungLee :)
Wow, from the word choice to the vivid imagery, this poem is truly impressive and ahead of its time Cherrie! Well done!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Oh Mary, thank you so very much. I am found of this poem it's nice to hear you liked too.
Wow that's 1 late day you had I enjoyed your natures production each had their set on moonlit stage I was intrigued by a new word rime not only does it mean frost but also has a literary meaning. Cool, enjoyed the soothing play you let nature give your authors note maybe does it denote that sweet serene scene not meant to last?

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

The maybe, maybe I'm done. I had shaved some lines and words away.
I really like the word.. read more
There is such an enchantment that flows through your thoughts, the moon alive with light. Can see the glow dipping down into the ripples of water, can hear the mournful owl, and sense the world that seems so often hidden from our sight. Powerful beauty.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you, I do enjoy reading and writing about nature.
The owl and the mouse.
Food and survival in the moonlit night.
It's amazing to think this happens every night as we sleep in contemplation of the day ahead.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I know. People have said to much is going on when the read a piece like this but every evening the n.. read more
so lovely, I was there with You in Your solitude, feeling these gentle calming feelings with You, Nature is a healer and Your piece here but a wonderful example, some beautiful images there,Thank You for sharing Your moments with us my dear friend.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

The wonders of nature is one of my favorite themes to write about. It does bring a calm all its own.. read more
I thought it was absolutely beautiful the way it was written it brings out the true emotion of rhyme and reason as each transition is expressed. Nicely done.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you, I tried to keep the flow moving.
It's a balancing act between to much information.. read more
Shep

5 Years Ago

you did great and your welcome

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

691 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 19, 2019
Last Updated on February 20, 2019

Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


First love. First love.

A Poem by Beccy