Trouble Stinks

Trouble Stinks

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer

 

With no relief from parenting Ella and Jack spent several weeks on puppy duty, living on rabbits, and mice. However, their little pack was growing fast, both in size, and personality. Ella decided that today was weaning day. At eight weeks they were all over the place, and no longer looked like babies. The den’s location was now in an open area. We’ll call the move new parent jitters, and for now they had the foursome in a spacious ground level canyon-condo. Ella rose to her feet, her long tail dusted under Jack’s chin. He looked back at his sleeping litter, and the new parents headed out to hunt.

 

The days before the first snow meant that the deer would move out of the canyon. The search for the last of the persimmons, and tender grass drove their instincts. Tonight, the duo will have to travel for meal. The den now parent free had a change of energy, causing the internal alarm for mischief to wake the foursome. Shadow and Lola the two black pups were curled together in a tight ball of fluff, with Coco swathed across them. Patches the male slept to the side of them. He yawned, then ruffled his ears making them almost stand-up. He sat upright staring into the dark. He looked more like a sentinel than a playmate, but the guard did not see the crouching image stocking him.

 

With no warning or sound, the silent figure attacked. He tumbled to the ground in a summersault. He went from bottom to top in a blink, and came up with a mouthful of Coco’s ear. Shadow joined the ruckus. She had his tail secured between teeth. Coco had a black paw in her mouth, she thought it was Shadow’s, but it belonged to sister Lola. The tumbleweed of pups continually changed the sibling on top. Snarls and growls filled the den, as did the scuffles and thumps of rough-housing.

 

The quarrelsome sisters were so busy deciding who was top wolf; they did not notice the male wander away. Patches had one black ear with a brown body, he sported four black stockings, and a diamond-shaped patch covering his left eye. He did not need to play king of the den for he was the dominant pup.

 

The canyons red clay gave way to fertile black soil. Its aroma was different from the dense clay. As his paws crossed the green barrier, his foot landed lightly. Green grass was a new encounter. He smelled then tasted, not bad for greens, Patches thought. But mice are better. The warbler began his evening song. The bird sat at the top of the sycamore in front of him. Patches sat down beside the tree to listen. The bird did nothing of interest, so he continued his march.

 

A rustling of brush became a violent shaking of branches. Patches perked his ears and crouched down ready for a tussle. A low branch popped forward, and an armor-plated creature strolled out. It had beady little eyes and a long nose with a thin tail. Patches leaped onto it’s back then skidded over the side. He sprang to his feet, but now the animal was completely encased in armor and made a little grey ball. With his front paws, he pounced on the armadillo, and it moved, he yapped in glee and did it again, and then some more. However, the new creature was no fun. It would not pounce back. So the march continued.

 

He heard another sound, Patches moved closure and found a small two-toned animal with a beautiful tail full and bushy, that it curled forward over its head. Patches leaped through the air to pounce. However, before he made contact, a horrible mist flooded his nostrils and eyes. The little skunk scurried away leaving Patches with his paws over his face and sneezing. The smell did not go away. He ran from the area, but still, the smell did not go away. He rubbed on a tree, then grass that made no difference. He returned to his red clay and rubbed in it, but he still smelled it.  When he got to the den Jack and Ella were sitting in the opening, and there was no doubt Patches had met some of the neighbors.




© 2019 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A captivating, detailed and sensitively told sweet animal tale (tail!). Would make a great kids story with the characters and the learning set in the script. Final paragraph first line:
"Patches moved closer"
There is also a stray symbol in the text.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

Thank you John, we've had fun writing it. However, my partner in crime is starting to get bored wi.. read more



Reviews

You have created an interesting tale dear Cherrie. The life of animals is amazing. I liked the description of life, the hunt and nature. Thank you, dear friend for sharing the amazing chapter.
Coyote

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

Thank you :) love stinks is one of my favorites.
This chapter is so dynamic! The puppy pileup was a great bit of imagination, clearly painting pictures in our minds. Patches going off in a huff, declaring himself dominant pup, and then going thru a dynamic series of discoveries. Great descriptions of still nature & dynamic new discoveries (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


Patches got a lesson..... Very creative writing. I think two wolf are going to be together forever now on and face all the problem together as i found them at the end as best buddy to each other. I was thinking they will be in a romanticism ha ha! This story could be a great and very interesting kids book. I just could not wait to finish it. Thanks for the wonderful descriptive story. My thank also go to your granddaughter.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


loved the introduction of the 4 pups how your story took a necessary scenic tour in my mind anyway yeh poor patches good to get that lesson over quickly this story keeps you captivated loved also how that fight started out of nowhere the whole thing captures the attention I think children will also like this read

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you Kent
We watch the animal channel, Wild Yellowstone, Wild Russia.. I was hoping i.. read more
Super second draft.. a lil tweak with a comma or two would make it perfect .. a great story tho regardless and like I have said before, will almost certainly appeal to young and old uns alike... Neville :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cute ... love the wolfs and their society .. highly intelligent and effective hunters ... i read up on armadillos because one was cutting through our yard and one fact about them is that their startle response is to jump straight up from a standing position .. when their backs are touched ... unfortunately it is a reason so many are killed on the roads when a car passes over them .. if they stayed still and not jump .. many would go unscathed .. anyway .. i enjoyed the rollicking, playful spirit of your short story .. i can see it in any outdoor mag. ..adding to other factual stories and information .. or a childs book story for sure ... have to say ..i don't think you have edited quite as much as you might .. commas needed here and there .. semicolon ... stuff i think would make reading a bit more smooth ... no matter... i enjoyed the story .. its endearing to name each of the members of the family .. and i like the canyon condo reference ... it there are wolfs in Arkansas .. they are said to be hybrids from an extinct Red Wolf population of days gone by ... breeding with domestics .. tho reports have been sworn to ..Conservation Officers have never confirmed them .. any who .... i am prattling on :} love the story ... i am going to watch more closely today for our co-habitating creatures :)
E.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Yes, I didn't edit this last night will polish it up today. I don't think there are any wolfs in thi.. read more
Einstein Noodle

4 Years Ago

YES! the one that went through our yard came right up to me and until i scratched its back he wasn't.. read more
Great story, Cherie. It's a tough life in the animal kingdom as Patches found out.
Though it could have been worse, he might have taken his sisters with him.
Good thing the Deer are round the corner so to speak.
But in his next encounter, if he was to meet another pack of wolves. How would patches fare.


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Well I'm sure he would need a new name maybe Pieces.
:) thank you Paul
Lovely. Poor Patches. Haha. I’d like to hear more about these little guys.
4th para “Wonder”. Do you mean wander? I mean, I’m sure he did wonder as he went. ;)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you Steve I'll fix that right away.
A captivating, detailed and sensitively told sweet animal tale (tail!). Would make a great kids story with the characters and the learning set in the script. Final paragraph first line:
"Patches moved closer"
There is also a stray symbol in the text.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

Thank you John, we've had fun writing it. However, my partner in crime is starting to get bored wi.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

231 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 17, 2019
Last Updated on April 22, 2019
Tags: wolf_pack_journey


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..