Paite Chapter 3

Paite Chapter 3

A Story by PaiteAuthor
"

Chapter three of Paite � Me

"

Nemesis


    Emmie could hear Bekkah shuffling around in her room. She was hurriying to get somewhere. Probably meeting Taylor.
    “Bekkah?” Emmie called, quietly, s she ducked through her sisters’ doorway.
    Bekkah was crouched down, feeling around under the bed for something, a half full suitcase lay open on the floor beside he, packed with a few books, and many assorted clothing items from Bekkah’s closet.
    “Where are you going?” Emmie asked, suddenly sounding like her mother.
    Bekkah looked up to meet her sisters’ concerned gaze.
    “I have to get out of here,” Bekkah sighed, as she pulled a pair of leather boots from under the bad and tossed them into the suitcase.
    Emmie shivered and pulled her blanket around her shoulders. “Why is your window open?” Emmie asked, “It’s freezing outside!”
    Bekkah laughed dryly. “It’s my escape route. I obviously can’t leave through the front door.”
    Emmie took a seat at the foot of her sister’s bed and gazed down at Bekkah who was now going through the drawers of her nightstand, frantically. She was looking for something.
    “Why do you need all that stuff?” Emmie asked, kicking the suitcase lightly.
    For a moment, Bekkah stopped rummaging through her possesions to meet her sisters’ eyes.
    “Because, Emerald, I am pregnant.”
    Bekkah’s words came down on Emmie like a ton of bricks.
    “Pregnant?” Emmie asked. “H-H-How?” She asked.
    Bekkah snorted and rolled her eyes, “Come on, Emms, let’s not go through that again,” She sighed.
    Emmie cringed. “Who’s the… Who’s the… father?” The words sounded alien as she said then. It was as if she was speaking some forign language, that not even she could understand. Emmie couldn’t believe what she was hearing. None of this made sense. Bekkah had always been wild, and a bit reckless. But, there was no way that she could be pregnant. She was too cautious. Too… careful. That couldn’t happen.
    “Who do you think?” Bekkah laughed, not bothering to look up at Emmie as she gasped.
    “Taylor?” Emmie exclaimed. “Mom and Dad are going to kill you!”
    “I know,” Bekkah shrugged. “That’s why I’m leaving.”
    Emmie still didn’t understand. Bekkah had snuck out before. She left almost every night before L’wren left. The two of them used to meet up by the mall and spend the night doing crazy, insane things that their parents would never allow.
    But, Bekkah had never done anything like this before. She had never packed a suitcase. She had never acted so… rushed.
    But, than again, Bekkah had never been pregnant before.
    “Where are you going, Bekkah?” Emmie demanded, again.
    Bekkah took a long, deep breath and put aside the T-shirt that she was folding. She couldn’t look her sister in the eyes. It was hard enough to be in the same room as Emmie, let alone look into her beautiful, young eyes. Emmie was so innocent. So small. She didn’t deserve to have a sister who slept with satin.
    Emmie deserved someone nice, and kind, who could show her the way. Bekkah wasn’t cut out for the job as big sister. She wasn’t the role model type. And, God knew that she couldn’t set a good example if her life depended on it. Bekkah didn’t serve the proper role in Emmie’s life.
    And, Emmie didn’t deserve to have to help raise a baby. She was too young for that.
    “I’m… I’m going away…” Bekkah stuttered, trying not to let her voice break. She had to be strong for her sister. And, for her baby.
    “But, where are you going?” Emmie pressed impatiently, as she watched her sister place a few plastic bags pull of food into her backpack.
    “It’s not important where I go, Emm,” Bekkah sighed. “What is important is that you promise me that you wont tell mom and dad you saw me leave.”
    Emmie pondered this for a moment before giving in.
    “Okay,” She agreed.
    “Pinky swear?” Bekkah asked, raising her brow, suspiciously.
    “Pinky swear.” Emmie held out her pinky and linked it with her sister’s, giving it a firm shake before letting it go.
    Bekkah and Emmie had seen the pinky swear routine once, when they were little, and they had decided to sneak into their parent’s bedroom and watch television on a Sunday, something that was strictly forbidden in their household.
    Ever since they had seen the small cartoon cat, and cartoon dog link pinkies and make a promise, they had made a silent vow.
    From that day forward-Whenever one of them had a secret-that was more important then any of the other they had to tell, they would link pinkies and shake. It was their way of saying. ‘I promise. Forever.’
    Something about this pinky swear was different though. It was important. Bekkah was giving away a secret that was more vital and scary than any of the other secrets that they had told in the past,
    This was the first secret that Bekkah had told that was really bigger then the two of them.
    A baby was a whole new world. There were new responsibilities, new commitments and new jobs that all had to be taken in at once.
    This secret was dangerous, and important.
    And, all of a sudden the pinky swear became more then a shared secret between the two sisters.
    It became an oath.

Zane slammed his fists against the boulder as he watched a group of run away’s follow Devon out of the clearing.
    Only a few people had stayed behind. Nico, Drew, Fin, Mona and Tanya. His people.
    “What’s our next move, Zane?” Fin asked, from his place next to the boulder.
    Zane breathe deeply, feeling his people’s impatience. They wanted direction, they wanted order.
    Zane ran his fingers through his thick black hair and frowned, as he popped a sunflower seed into his mouth. “We wait,” He said, around the seed.
    Zane looked out amongst the others. Fin weas laying back in the grass, breathing in shuttered gasps, still tired from the evacuation.
    Nico, stood tall next to the boulder, as if he were guarding Zane, his arms were crossed across his chest, his biceps flexed, and his face hard. Nico was a real threat.
    But, not to Zane. No one threatened Zane Walker.
    Mona was standing next to Drew her hand fiddling with a lock of his long black hair.
    Tanya stood apart from them all. A smug look on her face as she met Zane’s glaze. Zane raised an eye brow in recognition. Tanya had been the first to join him, three years before. She was different.
    “What are you looking at?” Tanya snapped. Zane scowled. She was so cold at times.
    Zane looked up at the sky. The once blue color was now cloudinhg over and turning gray. It was going to rain. They had no camp. Wonderful.
    “We should set up some kind of shelter. At least, temporarily,” Zane ordered. “Everyone get out anything that you brought from camp. We can use as much supplies at we can get.”
    Zane spotted Mona standing in the back, next to Drew, glancing up at the sky.
    “It looks like rain,” Mona pointed out, sheepishly.
    “Hense that camp site,” Zane grunted before adding. “Honestly, Mona, sometimes you are such an airhead sometimes.”
    Drew’s muscles tensed up. But, he said nothing.
    You never insulted Zane. Not unless you wanted to be beaten up, anyway.
    Zane watched as Nico pulled a few sheets of canvass, a cantien, some socks, and a toothbrush from his back. Drew was going through a stack of items now, a set of car keys that were virtally useless in Paite, a small, framed picture of Mona, and a leather jacket.
    Fin had a small pocketknife, a lock pick and pack of playing cars stuck inside a pillowcase.
    Zane noticed that Mona was holding something now. She was hiding something.
    Zane knelt down so that he could whisper something in Nico’s ear, without being hear.
    “Nico?” Zane whispered, getting Nico’s attention. “Why don’t you go talk to our friend, Mona over there, and tell her how I feel about people who are stingy.”
    Nico nodded, suddenly alert. He had a job to do.
    Zane smirked to himself as he watched Nico approach Mona, prepared to pass on his message.
    Maybe this would teach her how to share.
   

The blow from the washtub knock the man out before he even had a chance to get his gun out.
    “I’ll take that,” Lea said, smugly as she pulled the weapon from the man’s limp fingers.
    Lia took a deep breath. She was going to have to d this. For Michaela.
    Lia made a point of stepping lightly on the ntruders face before ducking out of the dorrway.
    At first, Lia didn’t see anyone.
    Lia’s heart leapt. Had they all ready taken Michaela away? Was she gone for good?
    “Drop the gun!”
    Lia turned swiftly to see a woman, maybe in her min=d thirties. She had bright rd, curls and small beady brown eyes. Her facial expression displayed pure hatred.
    “Cheryl,” Lia muttered to herself, recognizing the voice. Cheryl was taller then Lia, who was very petite. She had long flaming red hair and wild green eyes. Her voice was scratchy and sounded like she had an ice cube in her throat. She frowned at the sound of her name. Her beady eyes narrowing.
    “How do you know my…” Cheryl started before shaking her head. “I’ll give you until the could of three to drop the gun.”
    Cheryl cocked the larger rifle rested in her arms. She aimed.
    “One, Two…”   
    Lia ran.
    Cheryl shot.
    Cheryl missed.
    “Lia!”
    Lia turned at the sound of her name. It was Devon. The others had come back for her.
    And, for Michaela.
    “Michaela!” Lia shouted, as she darted into the underbrush beside Devon. “The have her over there.”
    Lia pointed at the small area behind the tents where Michaela sat, huddled up and crying. She didn’t want to loose her freedom more then any of the others.
    “I’ll go in,” Patrick offered, and her handed Steve his knife.
    “Someone go in with Patrick. They’re armed. He can’t go in alone,” Deveon pointed out.
    “I’ll go,” Siobhan offered. Siobhan’s twin sister Sinead gasped.
    “Don’t go,” Sinead pleaded, grabbing hold of her sister’s arm. It was a well known fact that Sinead was the more cowardly of the twins. She had proven that to be true the last time. With Jesse.
    “I’m leaving,” Siobhan snapped, shrugging her sister away.
    “Anyone else?” Devon asked.
    “I’ll go.”
    It was Evelyn, Michaela’s roommate who had spoken, Evelyn stood up, proudly and tossed a few of her long dreadlocks over her shoulder.
    “All right then,” Devon said, taking the gun from Lia. “Let’s head in.”
    Lia’s heart hammered. “Wait,” she hissed.
    Devon turned around, “What is it?” He asked.
    “If you’re going in, I want to too,” Lia began. But, Devon was shaking his head.
    “Let’s not have a repeat of last time, all right?”
   
   



 

© 2009 PaiteAuthor


Author's Note

PaiteAuthor
So... What did you think.
Try and ignore any grammar/spelling/typo errors. I just wanted to get this posted asap!
I'll fix 'um later! :)
-CHLOE-

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good.

Better.

Great.

Excellent.

With each chapter you write you improve step-by-step. Chapter 3 held promises and suspenseful moments that leaves the reader eager to read Chapter 4. As soon as you post it, I'll be sure to tune in. I enjoy reading your work!

Arc

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 2, 2009

Author

PaiteAuthor
PaiteAuthor

L.A. C.A., CA



About
Hi, I'm Chloe but most people call me Mel. I fall into a lot of different categories, but here are a few: -Writer -Musician -YouTube Video blogger -Avid Reader -Harry Potter geek -Nerdfighte.. more..

Writing