Kiss Who?

Kiss Who?

A Story by T. L. O'Neal
"

This is a story about going to a concert in 1976 and the going ons at it. True story.

"

 

KISS Who?

Written by: T. L. O’Neal

 

    Back in 1976 when I was fifteen, it was at one of those ages where you just weren’t s**t. You won’t old enough to drive or get a worker’s permit and you already were a teenager for two years, so you didn’t have that to look forward to anymore either. But there was one thing that I did want to do though… that was to go to a KISS concert. They were those guys that had their faces all painted-up with the wild looking costumes, and they looked like a cross between some creepy clowns and some cheap prostitutes. They were right cool back then but it does seem a bit foolish now, it’s just amazing how a few years can change how you see things.

 

   Now, in that time and place in the rock world, there wasn’t anyone bigger or better to go see. They were the tops on the concert tour; well, to me anyways. I was and everyone else for that matter wanted to go but the thing was how to get there; like I said, I was just fifteen. So the only thing to do was to figure out how to get those twenty-five miles to the coliseum. I could hitchhike or walk like I always did to get around, but I really didn’t care to try that because I would probably be too late or too tired to enjoy it when I got there.

 

   Being the resourceful type, I started to weigh my options and to make a plan of action. Dad lived fairly close to Raleigh, so that would help in getting a whole lot closer. So I asked Dad if I could stay with him that weekend for I could go to the concert. He said he didn’t care, he never did care about anything for that matter, but this time it was just fine with me.

 

    All I had to do now was to find a way to get from Dad’s to the concert. There was this girl that lived in his neighborhood that I liked, she had long auburn hair and a face full of freckles, she was my dream girl. Anyways, I asked her if she wanted to go and of course she did. As luck would have it, her older brother was going so we could ride with him. I got the tickets and all was set. The night of the concert we all got together and were driving to it when her brother pulled out a joint and started to smoke it. Then his friend did and then she smoked some of it too. At last I was the only one left and she handed it to me, now I was faced with a dilemma. I didn’t care for the stuff but I didn’t want to look bad either… especially in her eyes. So I went against my conscience and took a hit off of it too.

  

   I should have been like President Clinton and not inhaled, but it was too late. The die was cast and I was messed up more than I wanted to be. Actually I didn’t want to do it at all but I did want to fit in, and besides she did it and I wasn’t going to look like a wuss to her. Looking back I was mighty stupid to do something that I didn’t want to do… just to impress a girl. I knew that then but just dismissed it out of my head.

 

   We made it to the coliseum in one piece, amazing I know, and got out of the car. I could see by the looks of others there that they probably should have pulled a Clinton too. It looked like a war-zone with people passed out, vomiting and in different stages of intoxication. Some had their faces painted like the band members, and of course it wasn’t the best makeup jobs either. I did learn something though; makeup and puke don’t mix. But I was sure glad that everyone seemed to be having a good time but I felt like s**t just the same.

 

  After we got into the concert, that girl ran into some friends and quickly left my side. It was quite a coincidence that she ran into these people… as if it was planned. And to tell you the truth, I think it was. She just wanted someone to buy her a ticket and that was it. Of course my feelings were hurt, the ones that weren’t numbed by the pot that is. So I went off on my own and rambled around, not having much interest in being there or seeing the concert anymore either.

 

   I just walked aimlessly around the coliseum trying to get away from all the people pushing and shoving; I never was one much for crowds. I didn’t want to be on the floor, it was standing room only. So I went high up in to the stands to take a seat away from most of the people. Just my luck, this guy and his girlfriend I guess they were, came and sat down behind me. I didn’t particularly care for this, since I was the loner type and not much on being around people. What they did next was even worse and really got on my nerves. Those two stripped off their clothes and started to go at it behind my seat. Now, why would anyone want to do that is beyond me, especially since neither one of them was anything to write home about. That girl wasn’t that good looking, and that was obvious by the homely guy she was with. He wasn’t nothing but a walking zit and most of them were on his a*s. I was never one to show my a*s; well not in public anyways, so this was quite a mystery to me. I might be a country boy and they just might do things differently here in the big city, but I’ve never seen anything like that before. I mean I’ve seen dogs out in the yard before doing it but at least their asses weren’t covered in pimples.

 

   Anyways, between her fake moans and screams to make pimple boy feel like a man and his overly white a*s covered with zits flashing up and down behind me, I had about enough of that s**t. My night wasn’t going too good already and I sure didn’t pay to see these too ugly asses screwing behind me. So I took my drink that I had in my hand and poured it on top of the horny dogs, it was just like putting a hose on dogs in such a situation… and it worked. They picked up their clothes and left, pimples and all. I didn’t particularly want to sit there now anyway; all you could smell was spilled Coke and nasty a*s. So I thought of some different options so I wouldn’t have this problem again.

 

    I then came up with this great idea, as great of an idea as one can get being high that is. There were these balcony boxes hanging way up on the walls that you had to get to by ladders; I think they used them at times for spotlights or something like that. Anyways, I thought to myself, you know that would be a good place to get and watch everything from… and it was. Plus I didn’t have to put up with a load of screamers, screwers or pimply-assed people. So I shimmied up there and took my place and kept an eye out for the cops too.

 

   The whole experience was surreal from up there, because everyone on the floor looked small and seemed to move as one. There was this one guy that a cop was chasing, I’m not sure what for, but he was running down the floor to the crowd and it opened right up for him. When the cop got there to the crowd… it slammed shut like a door. It really did, the most amazing thing I ever saw up to that point and time. That police officer tried his best to get in but he couldn’t even get past the first line of people, but the other guy ran through the whole crowd like it was nothing.

 

    After the cop couldn’t get in and was purely flustered with the crowd, he went back and tried to do his job. It was about at this time that a Frisbee came flying through the air and hit him in the back of the head. With that the crowd went wild, but I kind of felt sorry for the poor fella. I don’t know if this was regular duty for him or just a side job, whichever it was that poor fella sure didn’t get paid enough to put up with all of that.

 

   Well, the concert finally did start and the crowd was going wild with all the clapping and yelling that you would expect… that is till they saw who it was.  It was the opening act and I never had heard of them and I was pretty sure no one else had either. By their name you could tell that they were going to be lame… are you ready for this? It was the “Raisin Band.” I heard all of you groan with that just like everyone there did. They would’ve been better off if you had just fed them to the lions instead of putting them in front of that audience… it would have been more merciful too. They started to play to all the boos and hisses from the audience; those poor guys were having a hard time with it and the people just made it worse. Finally when KISS was ready to come on and when the Raisin Band announced it, you couldn’t hear a thing because it was so loud. I think part of it was because KISS was coming on and the other part was because the Raisin Band was going off. They hung their heads down like a bunch of whooped pups and I never heard of that band again, before or since. Whatever happened to them I just couldn’t say, those guys are probably accountants for some company now.

 

    KISS finally came on with all of the noise, smoke and lights that you would expect for something like that, and it was loud all right and something to see for sure. They were jumping around and playing like nothing I’d ever seen before. They were all over the place; you would of thought that their shoes were on fire.

 

   About that time I saw my cousin down below and hollered at him. He did seem surprised to see me in my crow’s-nest up there and I have to admit I was a bit tickled to be up there in such a nice sit. He told me to come down, so I did... just not the way that I had planned to. In my state as it were, I lost my balance and flipped out of that box forward. I couldn’t tell you how that all happened, but it did and I was falling a good distance to the concrete below. Luckily for me there were a lot of people standing together under me and I landing on nothing but heads and shoulders, and then slid off of them and right onto my feet as slick as a whistle. I brushed myself off and gave a hardy “Thank you” to them all. Well sir, I was polite and all but it wasn’t so well received. I guess they didn’t care much for manners or the simple fact that I almost broke a half of dozen of their necks.

 

    My cousin and me walked down to the floor and worked our way to the front of the stage. It was pure mayhem but a lot of fun and it was right damn crazy there too. There was this one guy passed out in a speaker, how he didn’t wake up with all that noise coming out of there is beyond me. Those speakers were huge and I’m pretty sure of one thing, I bet even now that if you asked him something he would say,

 

“What, you say something?”

 

   He wasn’t the brightest light in the Christmas tree if you know what I mean. It was about that time that Gene Simmons, he was the bass player for the band, did his blowing fire out of his mouth bit. That was pretty cool and everyone seemed to enjoy it, so this one guy enjoyed it so much that he decided to do it himself. He was sitting on this other guy’s shoulders and blew that fire right out of his mouth and did a good job at it too… till it blew back on him and caught his head on fire that is. I’ve heard of the term “flaming” before referring to some people, this must be what they were talking about. He was flaming all right; hell that boy was on fire.

  

   That poor fella was beating his head and trying to put it out and then fell off that guy’s shoulders straight to the floor, still on fire mind ya. That other fella did all he could do at the time I guess, he tried to stomp it out. I’m sure it was good for putting the fire out but it probably wasn’t worth a damn for that boy’s face and head. After all that excitement we just looked back at the stage like everybody else and forgot about the flaming boy. Then old Gene was up there just looked towards that guy and shook his head. You know in one of those “you stupid a*s” headshakes that your parents would always give you.

 

    A little while later after a certain song, this other guy in the band, Paul Stanley, took his guitar and broke it on stage. Now I don’t know why this guy would want to do that, it seemed like it was a good guitar and it sounded all right, maybe it shorted out and shocked him and pissed him off. It was an electric one you know. He sure did seem to have a temper the way he was beating that thing up, and then he threw it out into the audience. Everyone seemed thrilled over that for some reason except the one that got hit in the head with it. These concerts sure are dangerous as hell, I’m glad I wasn’t down there in front with those guys.

 

   With the other guy’s guitar smoking and the drummer going up in the air, it was a good show. It was just like a circus almost without all the animal poop, oh and the music was good too. I don’t know whatever happened to that girl and her brother, I guess she was still with that guy she met up with. They probably got married and have a half dozen kids by now. Anyways, I just caught a ride back with my cousin and whoever he was with.

 

   All in all I had a good time I guess, but it still lingers in my mind that I was bought and used for the price of a concert ticket. But that’s the way it goes I reckon and I’m probably better off. If she would use me for that, I sure feel sorry for the old boy she married.

 

© 2010 T. L. O'Neal


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well, first of all, I'm glad you're back. Congrats on the feature.
And second of all, I really enjoyed this story. As usual, it's well written story about a concert visit that went seriously wrong at first (due to your date back then using you for a ticket, and the guy with the pimply a*s!lol...), but turned out well in the end. This story is also quite entertaining, and really good in general.

Nice job. Thanks for sharing.:)

Posted 16 Years Ago


10 of 10 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Funny story. I liked some of the ballads by Kiss, Beth, and Hard Luck Woman and a few other songs but I was always a bigger Areosmith fan myself, Toys In The Attic, who'd a thunk it huh? My best friend was always talking about what a great band Kiss was, he had the belt buckles, posters, even a notebook with Kiss on them. I never owned one of their records, I heard enough of em around Eddie. lol I went to a concert down there and it was just like you descibe it, complete mayhem. I saw Reo Speedwagon and Billy Squire, there was people smoking dope and drinking liquor on the floor. Wild days. I enjoyed the trip down memory lane.

Posted 16 Years Ago


17 of 20 people found this review constructive.

TL A concert to be remembered - Good story. TomG
Glad your both back onboard. You light up this place.

Posted 16 Years Ago


20 of 22 people found this review constructive.

'Looking back I was mighty stupid to do something that I didn�t want to do� just to impress a girl. I knew that then but just dismissed it out of my head........ After we got into the concert, that girl ran into some people and quickly left my side. It was quite a coincidence that she ran into these people� ' - sometimes it's nice to think we can learn from things that happen in the past. Sounds like you were lucky. I just keep repeating the same old things......but thats such a cool way of describing what was probably really devestating at the time.
The walking zit part reminds me of taking a dog for a walk in the woods one day with an ex. The dog disappeared only to be found sniffing someones spotty a*s - maybe the same person?
As for the guy being chased by the cop - I once went to see the Stud and the B***h double bill at a cinema (seeing a rude movie as a student. wow!) Anyway, was a rubbish two films.....half way through this guy comes running down the aisles chased by police (UK terminology!) I was trying to point this incident out to friends who were more engrossed in Joan Collins anatomy. Always amuses me!
Once again loved your story and brought back memories - I could start on concerts but there's not enough reviewing space here - went to Heaven in London to see Pop Will Eat Itself and bought the t-shirt. Found out a few days later that Heaven was a gay club. There's no more to that story. Everything else is just false rumour and I didn't wear the t-shirt much when I found out!
Great work.


Posted 16 Years Ago


19 of 22 people found this review constructive.

Heheh. Awesome story, man. It was kinda a sucky night for ya, but I'm glad you can write about it and make other people (and hopefully yourself) laugh from it.

"He was sitting on this other guy�s shoulders and blew that fire right out of his mouth and did a good job at it too� till it blew back on him and caught his head on fire that is. I�ve heard of the term 'flaming' before referring to some people, this must be what they were talking about. He was flaming all right; hell that boy was on fire." That espicially made me "LOL."

Good work, sir.

Posted 16 Years Ago


21 of 23 people found this review constructive.

Sounds like you had a really crazy time of it @ that KISS concert. Pity about the chick leaving you high and dry once y'all got to the venue but I guess, these things happen from time to time. As always, your tales have that sense of coolnesss that's just so raw and honest.

Glad to read from you once again. :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


22 of 24 people found this review constructive.

Makes me glad I never did it...

It does make for a good story, though.

Welcome back!

Gordon

Posted 16 Years Ago


21 of 24 people found this review constructive.

Ah the halcyon days of youth. My rememberances where seeing Jefferson Airplane at I think the Fillmore West or it could have been the Cow Palace when I went to see my American cousins. Going to all the old style festivals I could Isle of Wight, Lincoln and a tiny little one almost literally in my back garden called Bickershaw where I saw the Dead. As I say nostalgia ain't what it used to be. The almost overpowering smell of dope in the air, (a policeman once asked me what that smell was), talking to John cleese in the muddy toilets. This well written piece brings back a whole slough of memories. I wonder if I could still buy some copies of OZ on e-bay and if you don't knowwhat that is you've never lived. They had an illeterate dope fiend suppliment in one or was that IT? Well written and not just for the nostalgia kick. Regards Ken.

Posted 16 Years Ago


23 of 24 people found this review constructive.


6
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1604 Views
57 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 19, 2008
Last Updated on October 24, 2010

Author

T. L. O'Neal
T. L. O'Neal

In the sticks, NC



About
I started writing as a way to work out my feelings and found that I enjoyed it very much. I enjoy humor and feel that you can find it in most things, even though it may be hard to find at the moment. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..