Peace

Peace

A Poem by Chris Taylor
"

A poem about where my peace comes from

"

Peace

a poem by Chris T.

Peace, the commodity everyone hopes for but few really attain.

The most difficult to achieve when in the midst of pain.

A silent song that stills in calm and in storm.

The ever-present standard that I wish to conform.

A king tries hard to keep it in the land that he doth own.

Keeping it takes practice; a skill you have to hone.

Choosing it takes courage; a purchase you can’t buy,

It’s there for you for free; if only you will try.

I’ve tried to replace it with junk, stuff and things.

But never a second of calm, consumerism brings.

And when the arrows fly, and never seem to cease,

Ask the Lord for patience, and take hold of perfect peace.

© 2012 Chris Taylor


Author's Note

Chris Taylor
I have to be honest with all of you, it took me a long time to take hold of this lesson from the Lord. I was always a worrier, even as a child. It seemed that my spirit never did have rest. Even in times of bounty, I would find something to worry about; destroying my calm and ultimately my peace of mind as well. When I got older, some difficult things began to happen and that jeopardized my calm for a long time. When I gave my life over to the Lord, things got better; but not entirely. There was a time when I didn’t study my bible very much and that makes a huge impact on how you stay grounded in God’s peace and plan for your life. As I learned, if you aren’t bolstering your faith by reading and studying God’s holy word, then you will only know what other’s tell you about God and you won’t know it for yourself. And, when you know it for yourself, it builds your faith up. As it says in Romans 10:17 “ So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.” Finally, we can’t get any peace in our lives if we are deficient in one of the three areas that cause us to grow as christians. They are not in any specific order but all are necessary for spiritual growth.
1.Talk to God every day- I don’t mean bark orders or prayer requests at Him. I mean pray and hunger for His voice and direction in your life.

2.Spend time in God’s word daily.- I usually do it in the cool of the morning and I ask God to reveal to me what He wants me to get out of that day’s reading.
3.Be a servant.- I know, I know, it isn’t really cool to be a servant of someone, but Jesus did. He is our ultimate example and he served many. Do something for Jesus. Take the focus off of you and be a blessing to someone. I am trying to do that daily.

I have found, through a lot of stumbling and stubbed toes, that if I am not doing these things on a very consistent basis, my growth will be stunted or nil. You see, you can’t have peace in you life without acquiring it from the source; and that is the all power, omniscient God.

If you are in a difficult spot in your life, and you want to know God’s peace no matter your circumstances, start doing all 3 things above and you will start to be grounded to the source of all peace. God draws near to those who try to draw near to Him(James 4:8). The result of your sacrifice of time and your rearranging of priorities in your life, is a wonderful peace that only comes from pushing hard into knowing God deeper.

Please everyone, tap into that peace that overcomes any circumstance and trial.

Let me leave you with one of my favorite quotes from Jesus about peace:

John 14:28 “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world
gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”

The Great Plains Poet, drenched in the Almighty’s peace and patiently waiting for His return.

Please enjoy the poem, comment, subscribe and most of all, tell others what you have read here today.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
Added on August 9, 2012
Last Updated on August 9, 2012
Tags: : bible, consumerism, God, God's word, James 4:8, Jesus, John 14:28, Junk, King, peace, peace of mind, poetry, Prayer, prose, quiet-time, Romans 10:17, stuff, The Great Plains

Author

Chris Taylor
Chris Taylor

Sioux Falls, SD



About
I am a writer, poet, musician of 30 years, husband, father and follower of the Most High God. I try to let my writing point the way back to a relationship with Jesus. When I am not writing I am probab.. more..

Writing