When An Enemy Falls

When An Enemy Falls

A Poem by Chris Taylor
"

A poem/commentary about how to handle our enemies

"

 When An Enemy Falls

by Chris T.

Though you tried hard to not be seen, I saw what you did.

I could see your lips moving from across the room

And knowing all the well, that ill was being spoken of me.

 

When I saw a door open, you slammed it in my face.

As I traveled to the cooler to drink, you beat me there and swallowed the last bit.

You have taken credit for my work and ideas.

For you are my unprovoked enemy, the persecutor of a good man.

 

I have often sat and gathered thought; what have i done to call down so much fire?

Why have I drawn your disdain and ire?

What is it about me that makes you bristle?

 

I have prayed for you, your family, your success.

I didn’t want to at first; but the Lord asked me to.

I listened to your passing conversations for how I could pray better,

Most of all, I listened to the Lord, and that brought your anger to the surface.

 

Enemy of mine, I saw your unlawful practice, the one you covered up.

I asked God to show you how dangerous that was.

And when there were murmurs about your misdeeds,

I would not listen, I would not speak of it.

 

Adversary to me, I could see it coming, the darkness of the tide.

Uncomfortably, I tried to reason with you; told you not to hide.

You wouldn’t hear of it; you were deaf to the truth

And when you were dismissed from your position,

I gained no victory, I mustered no smile

For I am not to get joy when an enemy falls.

© 2012 Chris Taylor


Author's Note

Chris Taylor
Sometimes a person comes into your life who just does everything they can to make you fall and will put many stumbling blocks in your path. Strangely, it seems, that an antagonist comes out of nowhere; out of left field. There are some people out there who just have it in for you; people who seemingly go out of their way to do harm to you, your reputation and sometimes, your physical wellbeing too. The bible says that we don’t fight against flesh and blood, and a strong Christian, is always a huge target.

When Jesus walked this earth, he faced many enemies, the Pharisees, priests and hard-hearted law worshipers who didn’t want their place or position to be threatened. Jesus once said to his disciples: “Remember the words I spoke to you: ‘No servant is greater than his master.’ If
they persecuted me, they will persecute you also.”-John 15:20. Jesus faced many enemies of faith and adversaries who wanted to stop what the Father was doing through him.

Therefore, we shouldn’t be surprised when an enemy comes out of nowhere. We WILL be opposed, persecuted and overlooked. If it happened to our Savior, it will happen to us as well. But, they way we respond to that opposition is the key to victory; and the way our attitude is towards the persecutor; is essential to our growth and the advancement of the Gospel.

A long while ago, I used to love it when those who have wronged me got their comeuppance. I would laugh and point my crooked metaphorical finger saying: “See, they really got what they deserved.” or ”I have been vindicated”. All the while, spewing this venom with a darkened heart that was no better than the person who wronged me in the first place. If we are to change our darkened world, then we christians need to show those difficult people, the unfailing love of Christ. His love, will bring to light all of the darkness that exists, even in the places that we think no one knows about. The only right way to overcome the evil someone has for us(this includes the devil’s assaults as well), is to overcome that evil with good; and the good in us christians is, Christ’s love for his children.

God loves that annoying guy in Accounting. He sent his Son to die for that mechanic that charged you extra for a part that didn’t need to be replaced. Jesus still calls out in His great love to the prostitute, the homeless, the drunkard and the Wall Street power player as well. We are all the same to God. He loves us all equally; and that is how it is supposed to be; because God is holy and just.

So, let the Lord fill your heart with love and compassion for your enemies. They are loved by your God and blinded by the sin that they do. Ask the Lord to give you His love for that one person that seems to go out of their way to wrong you; you will be obedient to God’s call and you will be blessed. Here is a proverb to remind us what God expects when we face an opposer.

Proverbs 24:17: “Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice,”

The Great Plains Poet, needing the heart of my Loving God and worker of grace and love to all God puts in my path.

Please feel free to comment, subscribe, re-post, and most of all, tell others what you have read here today.


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like the logic of your words. Better to allow your enemies to have no reason to look for dislike. Just wasting energy on bad thoughts and actions.
"I gained no victory, I mustered no smile
For I am not to get joy when an enemy falls."
Great wisdom in the words above. Thank you for the excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Taylor

11 Years Ago

As always, thank you for the excellent review. Your comments are a strong barometer of how folks are.. read more



Reviews

nice work... especially like the line... "what is it about me that makes you bristle" its a truth you speak that are we to rejoice in the pain of another person no matter how much we think they deserve it, we are not perfect and finding comfort in the hardships of another makes you no better

Posted 11 Years Ago


i really like the message. awesome write

Posted 11 Years Ago


Chris Taylor

11 Years Ago

Thank you for the very king comments on both pieces.
I like the logic of your words. Better to allow your enemies to have no reason to look for dislike. Just wasting energy on bad thoughts and actions.
"I gained no victory, I mustered no smile
For I am not to get joy when an enemy falls."
Great wisdom in the words above. Thank you for the excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Taylor

11 Years Ago

As always, thank you for the excellent review. Your comments are a strong barometer of how folks are.. read more
Epic write....

Posted 11 Years Ago


Chris Taylor

11 Years Ago

Thank you. So kind of you to say so. I hope it spoke to you in some way.
SoulCrusader (Yas)

11 Years Ago

Yeah they always do, and I love reading note for more info too

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

614 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 20, 2012
Last Updated on August 20, 2012
Tags: : adversary, aliens, Christianity, enemy, Fallen enemies, God, Jesus, John 15:20, love, opponent, opposer, poetry, prose, proverbs 24:17, starwars, The Great Plains

Author

Chris Taylor
Chris Taylor

Sioux Falls, SD



About
I am a writer, poet, musician of 30 years, husband, father and follower of the Most High God. I try to let my writing point the way back to a relationship with Jesus. When I am not writing I am probab.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Just a Dream Just a Dream

A Poem by Sweets


A GIRL'S LIFE A GIRL'S LIFE

A Poem by afra