The Deliverance    Chapter 1

The Deliverance Chapter 1

A Chapter by Chris Yip
"

A thin line between life and death.

"

 THE SANCTIFICATION   OF   ADAM   APPLESEED

          Chapter 1

The Deliverance


Adam Appleseed, bespectacled, sat quietly in the old armchair looking down at his feet. Obviously he had something on his mind but one could not tell what on earth it was. He looked younger then his 26 years, about 5 years younger to be exact                


He was wearing a light cotton jumper over a shirt and a pair of faded blue jeans. Vincent and Daniel stood awkwardly by the fireplace. It wasn’t cold. It just seemed like the right place to stand in that spacious old room. It was spring in fact. During the month of September in Melbourne, Australia, to be more precise.                                                                                             There was a built in floor to ceiling book case on the wall to the left side of the fireplace. It was filled to the brim with all sizes of books, some in whole volumes. There was a row of windows on the opposite side with heavy drapes drawn.  The ceiling was high which was typical of old Victorian houses.


Pastor Jacob entered the study through the corridor and shut the door behind him and said quietly, "Is this the young gentlemen I am supposed to see today.” Before they could answer he turned towards Adam and stopped a few feet away and said a quick prayer under his breath. He pulled a study chair up closer to Adam and sat down, all the time looking at him. Adam, with a blank look seemed oblivious to what was happening in front of him. Pastor Jacob continued to study Adam for a minute or two than he asked gently, ”Son, how are you feeling today?”


“Good.” Adam replied in a quick and abrupt manner, obviously not much thought was put into the answer. His voice sounded a bit croaky but that of a man his age.

“How are you doing in your job?” Pastor Jacob asked carefully.

“Wonderful.” Adam said quickly but robotically. Obviously he had great practice in answering that particular question.

“Do you like your work?” Pastor Jacob continued. His voice was clear, matured and strong for his 60 plus years. 


“Good.” Adam answered again automatically with a single word.

Pastor Jacob looked straight into Adam’s eyes, they looked glazed. They lacked depth. There was no spirit in them. It seemed that the old saying, “The eyes were the window to the soul” didn’t apply here. Pastor Jacob could not see into his soul or maybe Adam Appleseed did not have a soul.


All this time, Vincent, in his mid forties, and Daniel who was 31 years old, watched and listened intently. They were both dressed in casual long sleeved shirts and slacks. This was their first meeting with Pastor Jacob and they were not disappointed. They knew in their hearts they had brought Adam to the right person. They also couldn’t help but notice, Pastor Jacob’s hulking six foot four figure that out-sized Adam’s 5 foot 11 ½ inch somewhat pudgy medium build frame. Pastor Jacob wore a thick polo neck old wool jumper and heavy looking dark grey pair of pants. He had suspected what Adam’s problem was beforehand but by having the rather short exchange of words with Adam and observing him in person, Pastor Jacob was pretty much convinced of it now.


“Adam, I know you have suffered terribly for as far back as you can remember and you don’t know why?” Pastor Jacob said with empathy.


Adam remained quiet.


“You are confused by people and the world around you so much so that it hurts everyday,” continued Pastor Jacob.

Adam’s body stirred ever so slightly.


“Nobody seems to understand your pain, there's no one you can find to trust.”

Adam's feet moved slightly.


“Adam you will find all the peace and happiness you have missed out on all this years.” Pastor Jacob spoke this time with compassion and deep sincerity in his voice. “You just have to trust in what I say.”


“Do you understand Adam?”

“We can help you.”


There was still no response. There was silence then Adam nodded his head, three times. One could have sworn seeing a tiny teardrop run down his expressionless face. Somehow with those few words Pastor Jacob was able to penetrate Adam’s wall and reach his heart.


Pastor Jacob stood up and turned around towards Vincent and Daniel. He walked over and conferred with them.

“He needs a lot of watching over.”

“Where is he staying now?” continued Pastor Jacob.

“He is supposed to be staying on his own in an apartment in East Caulfield,” answered Daniel, “but the last 3 weeks........”

“What's his background? Is he Christian?”

“He......”


Just then they heard a deep sob and they turned around. It was Adam, he had started to cry.

“There now Adam,” comforted Pastor Jacob, “it's all going to be fine.”


Adam's face was buried in his own hands. He was in tears and he couldn’t control them. Suddenly, he cried out loud in between his sobs.

“Help me …………………….. Please help me.”

“What's wrong Adam?” Pastor Jacob asked with concern now.

“It's the voices....... I'm frightened”.

There was a pause.

“Okay, you mean you hear voices.”

“Yes.”

“Are they speaking now?” asked Pastor Jacob.

“Yes.”

“We better pray for him.”


Pastor Jacob quickly went to Adam's side and stood over him. He started praying aloud. Vincent and Daniel followed suit. Together they prayed for Adam.


“They are disturbing me real bad now,” Adam managed to blurt out, “they're screaming!”

“Who are these voices?” asked Pastor Jacob with real concern.

“I don't know, they have been following me for years,” said Adam in between sobs.

“Do you take medication to control these voices?”

“Yes, but the medication doesn't work”, said Adam still in tears, “I'm scared”.

The scene was building up to full blown spiritual warfare.

“What are they telling you now?”

“They're telling me not to listen to you,” Adam rambled on, “and if I do ....”

“If you do, then what?” asked Pastor Jacob.

“I will die, here.”


Vincent and Daniel felt fearful and stood back.

“Adam, they are the spirits of fear, guilt and others in you, you have to stand up to them, be strong.”  explained Pastor Jacob.

“This looks like a good time as ever to face them.” Pastor Jacob declared.


He very calmly continued praying aloud for Adam, “In the name of Christ, I rebuke the evil one…………. may the blood of the holy lamb cover your body…………..with the power of Christ I bind you the evil one.”


Then Pastor Jacob took a bible, opened it and began reading verses out loud from it.


Adam started coughing while trying to catch his breath. The coughing came from his gut. Then it got worse.


Pastor Jacob continued reading. The atmosphere in the room was getting heavy yet electrifying at the same time. The coughing started getting violent. All at once Adam's eyes opened wide. Then his mouth opened wide too for a few seconds as if something large and invisible was crawling out of it. Nothing could be seen by Pastor Jacob.


“Did you feel something coming out of your mouth?”

“Yes.” choked Adam.

“Hallelujah.” Pastor Jacob muttered to himself.

“Years of accumulated filth,” stated Pastor Jacob,” just left you”.

“Adam, can you see anything when you cough with your eyes closed?” continued Pastor Jacob.

“Yes.”

“What do you see?” asked Pastor Jacob.

“I see lights of……. eyes,” Gasped Adam, “lots of them.”


“These are the spirits of corruption with a foothold on him.” Pastor Jacob told Daniel and Vincent. ”Real stubborn fellows,” he added. Daniel and Vincent listened and were getting puzzled.

“Okay I'll try this now.” Whispered Pastor Jacob.


Years of experience was coming into play. He knelt down on the heavily carpeted floor with both hands raised.

“For the love of God is greater than anything else I command the corruption to leave you now!”


No effect.


“Adam, start praying to Jesus Christ. Ask him to help you, be brave.”

“For the love of God knows no boundaries, I command the corruption to leave you now!” Pastor Jacob raised his voice.

“Christ help me please, dear God, please...” Adam cried out. The voices were getting louder in his mind.


“Adam be strong, don't fear.” Pastor Jacob reiterated.

“For the love of Jesus Christ is greater than all things in heaven, on earth and in the universe I command the corruption to leave Adam Appleseed now!”


Adam shook all over for a quick moment.

“In Jesus Christ name I command that Adam Appleseed be released from all bondages in his life. I command this now!” shouted Pastor Jacob at the top of his voice.


There was a sudden chill in the atmosphere. Then in the darkened room Daniel and Vincent saw something that would defy logic for the rest of their lives. At the same time Adam had closed his eyes and in that brief moment he saw the terrifying image of a demon appear in his mind.


Adam screamed out loud and stopped. But the scream continued on and it did not come from Adam anymore. Instead a screaming shadowy figure more like a dark silhouette and not unlike a large monkey's shape emerged out of Adam and ran for the door, carrying Adam's scream echoing all the way out. It happened so fast. It was like a scene from some supernatural movie.

There was a brief silence. Everyone had frozen. Then Pastor Jacob broke the silence.


“The old spirit has left......,” announced Pastor Jacob slowly.

Adam cried again but it was tears of joy as what seemed like a wave of warm flowing water flooded his heart. He felt peaceful for the first time in a long, long time. Meanwhile Daniel thought he saw a halo glowing around Adams head and chest for a moment.


“And the new spirit has arrived.” Noted Pastor Jacob with observation. Daniel and Vincent were lost for words.

“Gentlemen you have witnessed something that wasn't meant for human eyes.”

“And you, Adam, will not be the same again.”

Daniel and Vincent breathed a sigh of relief. But more was still to come. 


Pastor Jacob started to get up from his knees from the old cut pile carpet when suddenly Adam screamed out again.


“Aghh!” Adam cried out.

“What's wrong Adam?” Pastor Jacob questioned loudly and immediately.


“They're grabbing my legs. I can feel them, dozens of them!”

“I don't see them Adam!” shouted Pastor Jacob who got down on his knees and started praying again, “I don't see them!”

This continued for mere seconds but seemed like ages, then.

“What in heaven’s name.....?” quipped Pastor Jacob alarmingly.

Adam's clothes had started to smoulder. Then the legs of his pants caught fire.

“Jesus Christ, help me!” screamed Adam in pain.

“Put out the fire, quickly,” commanded Pastor Jacob.

Daniel grabbed a table cloth from the table nearby while Vincent grabbed a cushion from an old settee and they both smothered the flames. It was out in seconds.


“My God, they won't let go,” remarked Pastor Jacob, “both of you continue praying.”

Pastor Jacob prayed aloud again, so did Daniel and Vincent. Adam’s entire body slithered down to the front of the chair and he seemed to be in a trance. He started coughing from his gut again. He jerked forward a couple of times and then convulsed violently still coughing. His glasses were flung off. All of a sudden thousands of tiny black bubble like flies started to fly out of his mouth. They shot out like a spray and disappeared into the ceiling that seemed to be shimmering. The volume was tremendous.


“These are the forces of darkness leaving,” announced Pastor Jacob, “but they will be back”. Daniel couldn't help feeling overwhelmed by the event, shivering slightly himself.

A few seconds later Adam laid there motionless, his eyes were closed and his mouth slightly open and was drooling.

Pastor Jacob, panting, asked gently, “Adam, are you okay?”

But there was no response. Then he pushed Adam's left thigh with his hand. Adam's thigh was cold as ice and he didn't move. Daniel and Vincent started to have a bad feeling.

“Something’s wrong. He's not responding. He's real cold.” Spoke Pastor Jacob with alarm.


“He's not breathing.” Vincent observed with dread.

“Let me help,”snapped Daniel, “I know CPR”. He got down beside Adam and put his left ear to Adam's chest and listened.

“He's not breathing alright,” said Daniel. Then he proceeded to give Adam mouth to mouth resuscitation. Things were getting tense as Daniel worked on Adam. This went on for about 20 seconds. Pastor Jacob and Vincent just watched.

“He's still not breathing”, gasped Daniel trying to catch his breath, “Vincent! Call 911.”

“Right”, answered Vincent as he immediately went to the phone in the hall.


Pastor Joseph started to pray again. Suddenly Adam's body began to shake terribly all over, like he was shivering. Daniel tried to continue the mouth to mouth resuscitation but couldn't.

“You have to hold him down,” ordered Daniel, “I can't help him this way”.


Pastor Jacob shouted, “We got to do something quick, he's going”.

Adam's body continued shaking. They couldn't hold him still. Daniel tried to continue giving CPR but couldn't. Adam's face started to change colour and his lips were already bluish. Time was running out.


“I don't know what to do.” Daniel cried out with desperation.

“We are not going to lose him. We are not going to lose him!” Reiterated Pastor Jacob with defiance and desperation

“We got to do something! Anything!” Screamed Daniel.

Pastor Jacob then got up with both hands over Adam.


“Oh, God have mercy on this young man,” shouted Pastor Jacob in prayer, “spare his life Lord. You are the giver of life......You have saved him from the forces of darkness now save his life........Dear God save him, please save him.”


Life always seems so fragile yet precious in the face of death. It wasn't any different in this case. Would this young man just saved from the bondages of sin survive the trauma of deliverance? His life had always been a tragedy, barely hanging in the balance. He suffered most of his years in his clouded world. He was different from others. That was his problem. As a result his life was singled out to be destroyed. Now he stood on the thin line between life and death.



© 2012 Chris Yip


Author's Note

Chris Yip
Please review and give constructive criticisms and advise to improve the chapter

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It's off to a fast start--a protestant exorcism--and ends with Adam's life in the balance. Where do we go from here?

A quick note on style: overuse of adjectives slows down the pace of the story and most "writing experts" say, I think correctly, that overuse can be a turn off for today's readers. Count the adjectives in this passage: "Pastor Jacob’s 60 plus year old hulking six foot four figure that out-sized Adam’s 5 foot 11 ½ inch somewhat pudgy medium build frame. Pastor Jacob wore a thick polo neck old wool jumper and heavy looking dark grey pair of pants."

Block paragraphs don't show up well. There should be a blank line between them. I don't know, but I think the site eliminates that 'tween line, making the paragraphs run together, causing a cluttered look. I suggest you use indeted paragraphs, but that's just my preference.

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

No laughing but when I first saw the chapter title, Burt Reynolds crossed my mind. Hey I said no laughing.
It is action pack and menacing right off the bat. Very visual, which I like but I’m a detail person to the point I can over do it in my own writing. I’m still trying to find a happy medium.
You might check out The Chicago Manual of Style for what numbers need to be spelled out. The numbers game always trips me up.
I find your story very intriguing and will continue reading it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very compelling right from the start. You grab a hold of the reader and take them hostage. Flow was good and character profiles solid. This genre is particularily interesting to me, as I've always enjoyed skellybobs rattling in the closet on a dark and stormy night. My only suggestion (one with which I struggle myself) is the over attention to detail. I try to keep in mind some advice given to me while in nursing school, re: charting. The acronym KISS.

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Sometimes its like jipping the reader from creating their own mental "fill ins". Kind of like the allure of being forced to use our own imaginations by means of suggestion. You don't want to drop the panties all at once! LOL


Other than that, I could see something manifesting from this most definitely! I hope you continue. You've got talent for sure :)

Happy Writing Friend!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was quite an adequate story, and the grammar/spelling in this was too good. The adjectives you used were quite simple, though I'd prefer a more poetic or a more detailed way of explaining things.
Another thing, there's not much use for the continuous periods at the end of the dialogue sentences, just one period will do. That is one thing that annoys me, I just hate to see that in writes.
Anyways, though this is an amazing idea, it's just not my type of story to read. Great job though. Keep it up.

Posted 12 Years Ago


The story-line was quite good...... The grammar too was perfect.... Good use of vocabulary.. Just one thing there.... just cut the irrelevant additional detailing; people just don't buy em..... Rest assured, it was nice reading this chapter....

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like the chapter. The conversation was very interesting. Adam was getting help in finding his place. I like the detail description. Of his housing and use of religion to strengthen the story. A excellent opening chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


Nice Story. I dont know alot of grammer or spelling but being a new christian it speaks to me :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
EMF
Damn good and powerful opening chapter, but where to from here. I'm intrigued to find out. All I would suggest is to trim back on your disciption a little. It holds the story back. And relax the dialouge. It has a slightly stiff feel to it in two or three points. Beyound that it is superb and nothing a little (with emphasis on the word little) editing won't sort out. Proper job mate. A cracker

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It's off to a fast start--a protestant exorcism--and ends with Adam's life in the balance. Where do we go from here?

A quick note on style: overuse of adjectives slows down the pace of the story and most "writing experts" say, I think correctly, that overuse can be a turn off for today's readers. Count the adjectives in this passage: "Pastor Jacob’s 60 plus year old hulking six foot four figure that out-sized Adam’s 5 foot 11 ½ inch somewhat pudgy medium build frame. Pastor Jacob wore a thick polo neck old wool jumper and heavy looking dark grey pair of pants."

Block paragraphs don't show up well. There should be a blank line between them. I don't know, but I think the site eliminates that 'tween line, making the paragraphs run together, causing a cluttered look. I suggest you use indeted paragraphs, but that's just my preference.

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
God! I'm reading it at midnight and it's pretty darn scary!! Ooh...(don't worry that was a compliment)
The story is going great, but well I have some suggestions:-
1. In the beginning of the story, you give a detailed description of Adam, which though was fine with me, might bore some other readers. If you feel that part is important, you could try adding it in the middle, at points where the reader wants to know more about him. That is at least what I think. It is of course your own
writing style which I don't mean to change into mine, but I hope you found this suggestion useful.

2. You use 'to be precise' twice in the first paragraph in two consequent lines. I kind of think it would be better if you used another phrase the second time.

Otherwise, it was great! Really interesting. Now if you'd excuse me I'm looking forward to the next chapter!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

458 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 18, 2012
Last Updated on April 29, 2012
Tags: Life death


Author

Chris Yip
Chris Yip

About
I'm an Interior designer but involved in sales and marketing of construction chemical products now. My experience in writing is limited and this unfinished novel that i am writing now is my first real.. more..

Writing
Sharon Sharon

A Poem by Chris Yip



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..