The Meeting (SIX MONTHS EARLIER)   Chapter 2

The Meeting (SIX MONTHS EARLIER) Chapter 2

A Chapter by Chris Yip
"

Daniel meets Adam

"

  SIX MONTHS EARLIER        

                                   Chapter 2

The Meeting

It was February, earlier that year. Daniel was busy keying in some information into his desktop in his compact but well furnished office room at Blakeley’s, the publishing house. Just then Richard appeared at the door tapping at the glass panel window. There was someone beside Richard. “Good morning, got someone here to introduce to you. Adam, meet Daniel your assistant editor.” Daniel got up and extended his hand with a big warm smile but was a bit taken aback by the blank look on Adam’s unsmiling face.

Then Adam knocked his foot against the corner of the 2 seater sofa by the doorway. He almost stumbled then recovered and offered his hand.

“Ahem, good morning Adam,” said Daniel as he hung on to Adam’s mechanical but firm hand shake. It was quite odd.

There was a pause, as if Adam was trying to recall what to say.

“Wonderful to meet you Mr. Daniel, my name is Adam Appleseed.” Adam then said in a rather monotonous voice and without any expression and emotion written on his face, his beady eyes peering through his lenses all the time.

“My name is Daniel Austin, have you worked in a publishing house before?” Daniel said trying to come out with another big warm smile.

There was another moment of silence. There was no answer from Adam. He seemed to be working out a reply.

Daniel’s confidence in the man dropped another rung.

“Nice to have you here with us at Blakeley’s.” Daniel managed to continue to say though already a bit perturbed with his initial exchange of words with this strange awkward young man.

Richard interjected, “Adam will be joining us as trainee writer under the business and finance section. I’m sure you will take good care of him, Daniel." Richard smiled and winked at Daniel. Daniel was taken aback for the second time and his mouth opened to say something but stopped halfway. At the same instance he caught Adam's wincing hurt look at Richard’s and his own stealthy exchange. For a split second Adam showed some emotion and personality.

 It struck Daniel that Adam was not only awkward but highly sensitive. Not such a good combination. A strange uneasy feeling ran through his gut.

I’m going to be responsible for this nerd and for all the stupid things that I know he is going to do. And God knows for how long.


“Daniel, why don’t you show Adam around then start him up on something to do, Daniel did you hear me…….” Richard said again louder.

“Uh, oh yes, of course,” said a startled Daniel. He sighed and said with a hint of agitation. ”Adam, please follow me.”

“Yes, Mr. Daniel.” Adam managed to reply this time and like a toy soldier. Again the strange feeling ran through Daniel’s gut.

They proceeded to the modern looking main work area where there were three rows of island work stations. The place looked busy but neat, filled with desktops, files and stationary. On the way there Adam accidentally knocked a file off a table. A staff of 24 could easily fit into the work stations. As Daniel introduced Adam to each and everyone there, it seemed confirmed to him that there was something seriously wrong with Adam. Each introduction he made only magnified his dread. The whole time Adam was robotic and had this awful blank look on his face. Adam did not even smile once to any of the 13 new colleagues he was introduced to. This really alarmed Daniel.

Talk about not having any personality, this guy takes the cake.


“Okay, Adam, this is Freddy. He's one of our four photographers. He has 12 years experience in this business. He's one of the best.” Daniel introduced.

Again out of the same expressionless face came the words,” Wonderful to meet you, Mr. Freddy. My name is Adam Appleseed.”

“Err, please to meet you Adam,” Freddy replied cautiously then smiled saying, “better watch out, I’m the crazy guy that does crazy candid shots in this office!”

Adam did not respond.

“Ha, huh, huh.” Freddy laughed nervously to himself.

There was still no response from Adam.

Daniel was cringing.

“I was only kidding,” said Freddy to get out of the awkward situation.

“Oh” was Adams reply.

“Let’s meet Lynn the graphic designer.” Daniel quickly cut in. He walked on, while Adam hobbled 3 steps behind to the Graphic Design room. Lynn was a pretty girl, 23 years old, with lovely blue eyes and blond hair styled in a bob. She wore a white T-shirt and light blue jeans. She was quite petite standing at five foot four. She was every bit the girl next door.

“Lynn,” Daniel called out, ”this is, ahem, eh, Adam, your new colleague.” Lynn turned around from her work table and flashed a big smile only to be met by Adam’s already infamous blank look. But this time the look turned into a stare.

“Hi! Nice to have you on our team,”said Lynn cheerfully in a rather girlish voice.  Daniel observed Seed’s jaw drop open an inch. As he focused on Lynn, his face looked stunned and he struggled to speak but nothing came out from his mouth. His body began to shake and beads of perspiration started to appear quickly on his forehead.

He accidentally knocked a bottle on Lynn's table as he reached out to shake her hand.

“Oh, sorry,” said Adam automatically.

“That's alright.” Answered Lynn. Then she placed back the bottle upright.

Adam looked real stupid standing there not knowing what to do or say next. He was fidgeting all over.

Lynn asked, “Are you in the business and finance section?”

Adam was tongue tied. He was struggling with himself. He just kept on staring at Lynn speechless. He managed to stammer out, “Yes.......”

Daniel looked at Lynn, to his surprise, Lynn continued to smile. She wasn’t phased one bit. She seemed in fact to be tickled pink by Adam’s extreme awkwardness. She continued,” Don’t worry Adam you will be fine here with us, we’ll take good care of you.” She beamed another radiant smile.

There was a pause. Adam was still struggling. Then he blurted out in a hoarse voice

“How old are you?” That’s all Adam could say. Daniel was aghast.

There was a silence.

Then Lynn coolly answered,” Too young to die, but old enough to fall in love.” And chuckled ever so sweetly.

Daniel himself couldn’t help being charmed. He looked at Adam and observed that his jaw had dropped another inch. His face had turned reddish and there seemed to be an element of emotion. His lenses were fogging up too. Adam appeared to be smitten pretty evidently by Lynn while at the same time making a dozen or so people feel pretty uneasy. All in the first 10 minutes of his new job!


© 2012 Chris Yip


Author's Note

Chris Yip
All welcome to review this Chapter. Please give advise on how to improve it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
EMF
Oh I do like this. A shift from now to then, and you've already set up what's to come, so you know that no one is in for an easy ride. You have the makings of a cracking novel here, based just on the first two chapters. A stunning chapter and I am truly looking forward to the next

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Interesting

Posted 12 Years Ago


You did a great job making everyone feel awkward and left a nice visual of the Lynn.
I couldn’t help but smile on the publishing house.
Alana McGuire did a great job covering the punctuation so I don’t need poke at that. Commas are my weakness anyways.
I’m looking forward to more of the story.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

” Too young to die, but old enough to fall in love.” And chuckled ever so sweetly."
I enjoyed this chapter. I like lynn. She offer a interesting character. A entertaining chapter. Thank you for the excellent chapter.
Coyote





Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Another Awesome Chapter

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
EMF
Oh I do like this. A shift from now to then, and you've already set up what's to come, so you know that no one is in for an easy ride. You have the makings of a cracking novel here, based just on the first two chapters. A stunning chapter and I am truly looking forward to the next

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sorry - I did review before, but I guess it didn't come in. So far, I like the mystery of the character, Adam and Lynn sounds nice. Keep it up!
Also in my book, in 1.1 - 2.3 is about Eddie's life pretty much. Action doesn't come in til 1.4.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I still really like the idea of this book. It interests me a lot. :) And I like that you added more descriptive details in this chapter. I also like that you put the person's thoughts in italicized font. It looks good that way.

The second sentence is a run-on and needs some more puncuation or to be split into more sentences.
“My name is Daniel Austin, have you worked in a publishing house before,” should have a question mark instead of a comma.
“Adam will be joining us as trainee writer under the business and finance section. I’m sure you will take good care of him, Daniel”. The period at the edn goes inside the parenthesis.
“Hi! Nice to have you on our team,” Every sentence like this needs a perios at the end instead of a comma because the statement is a complete sentence, even if the rest of the sentence is still going.

I hope this helps! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

604 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 18, 2012
Last Updated on January 30, 2012
Tags: first meeting, Daniel, Lynn


Author

Chris Yip
Chris Yip

About
I'm an Interior designer but involved in sales and marketing of construction chemical products now. My experience in writing is limited and this unfinished novel that i am writing now is my first real.. more..

Writing
Sharon Sharon

A Poem by Chris Yip



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..