The Next Morning     Chapter 5

The Next Morning Chapter 5

A Chapter by Chris Yip
"

Adam at the work place.

"

   Chapter 5

The Next Morning

Daniel arrived early that morning at the office. He checked the clock at the foyer of the office of Blakeley’s Publications. He said good morning to the security guard. It was at least half an hour before office hours. He opened the door to the main office area and to his surprise found the lights in there already on. He walked down the aisle and to his bigger surprise found that Adam was the person who had arrived first.


“Good morning, Adam.” Daniel wished cheerfully.

Adam, who was seated at his own cubicle, turned around and stared dope like at Daniel through his glasses.

“I said, good morning, Adam!” sounded Daniel, louder and more assertive.

“Uh, good morning, Mr. Daniel.” answered Adam sensing Daniel’s assertion.


Adam stood up in his usual clumsy manner. He was dressed in a short sleeved striped shirt, with a black leather necktie, and gray flannel slacks. All were as usual not matching.


Daniel was now mentally prepared for the worse from Adam.

I will be patient but firm with Adam

“Adam, I want you to start writing today.”

”Do you understand?” continued Daniel.

“Yes, Mr. Daniel.” Adam answered in his usual affirmative robotic way.


“The business and finance magazine’s dateline is the 22nd. of every month.” Daniel spoke clearly, loudly and slowly obviously for Adam’s benefit.


I’ll make sure he understands what I say.


“This month I’ll be giving you only 12 articles, in which you have another 2 weeks to finish,” continued Daniel who wasn’t taking any chances of Adam not being able to comprehend what he was saying or not being able to complete his work.

“Do you understand, Adam?”


I’ll make sure he finishes his work on time.


Adam nodded his head then said, “Yes, Mr. Daniel.”

 His beady eyes were peering through his glasses all the time. He was a bit puzzled by Daniel’s assertiveness.

“Tony will show you the ropes today.”

“He will give you the website addresses and passwords for the sample business information articles and the currency exchange index.” Daniel spoke a bit faster.


Adam seemed to struggle with the information given by Daniel.

“Do you catch what I am saying?” asked Daniel speaking a bit slower again.

“Yes, uh…… Mr. Daniel.” It was a lie.

He is lying.

“Adam, you got to be straight with me,” said Daniel in a gentler tone sensing Adam’s fear and untruthfulness.

“Do you understand me?”

Adam’s eyes couldn’t meet Daniel’s.


I have got to be gentle.


“Adam you don’t have to worry about speaking the truth, especially with me. I’m your immediate boss. You can trust me.

Adam look up at Daniel. He seemed touched by Daniel’s sincerity.

“Yes, Mr. Daniel!” Adam’s voice brightened up.

“Good, now where were we. Oh yes! You can get business news information from certain websites. All you need are the passwords. Do you understand?” asked Daniel patiently.

Adam nodded his head 3 times in affirmation.


Okay, that’s more like it.


“The currency exchange index gives you the currencies of the whole world against the Aussie dollar so that you don’t have to calculate it yourself. You need a password for that too.”

Adam nodded again.


“You do understand. Don’t you.”

“Yes, Mr. Daniel.”

Okay, here goes.

“Adam, we are going to be more then colleagues. We are going to be friends.”

There was a slight puzzled look on Adam’s face.

Daniel ignored it.

“Adam you from now onwards address me as Daniel only. Don’t use mister. Do you understand?”

“Yes, Mr. Daniel.”

“Adam!” chided Daniel.

“Oh! Sorry Mr. Daniel. Oops! Daniel.”

Daniel flinched at Adam’s fumbling but pretended not to mind.

Yeeks!

“Okay, that’s fine.”

“Okay, another thing, I want you to smile.”

“Huh?”

“Yes, smile.”

“When?” Adam replied questioningly.

“All the time!” Daniel replied even quicker.


Adam nodded his head for the third time that morning.

Daniel continued.

“I want you to try 

and get along with the others at work.”

“I know it’s not easy for you, but please try.”

Adam’s head lowered a bit, not meeting Daniel’s gaze again.

“Do you understand, Adam?”

There was a pause.

“Do you understand? Adam.” reiterated Daniel.

Adam looked up.

“Yes mister. Oops! Daniel.” answered Adam with a grimace on his face.

 



© 2012 Chris Yip


Author's Note

Chris Yip
Please review!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great dialogue and character interaction. You continue to hold you ability to add realistic situations into your writing. This gives a preview of the type of encounters expected between Adam and other characters in the story. Nice Work!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Nice dialog and Daniel’s growing, determination to connect with Adam. You have nice flow making the chapter feel really short.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very good chapter. I like Daniel attempt to make Adam understand. He gave a good effort into opening doors and understanding. I like this chapter. Very detail and realistic. A excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
EMF
Facinating. The growing bond just shows so much more in the story. Superb Chris. This deserves publication. And this is only Chapter Five...

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

444 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 19, 2012
Last Updated on January 30, 2012


Author

Chris Yip
Chris Yip

About
I'm an Interior designer but involved in sales and marketing of construction chemical products now. My experience in writing is limited and this unfinished novel that i am writing now is my first real.. more..

Writing
Sharon Sharon

A Poem by Chris Yip



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..