Sunday     Chapter 8

Sunday Chapter 8

A Chapter by Chris Yip
"

Adam's experience on Sunday at Church

"

    Chapter 8

Sunday

It was 8.55 am as Daniel parked his black convertible Alfa Romeo at a 45 degree angle a hundred yards down the street from the New Canterbury Baptist church. The car was gleaming and so were the leather seats inside. He liked European cars more then Japanese cars. There was more power behind the steering wheel of a European car especially an Italian one.


 There were already dozens of cars parked along that street for the morning church service. Well dressed couples and families of all ages and sizes were steadily streaming into the open front doors of the rather 80s looking, Post Modernism church building.


Daniel dressed in a dark brown leather jacket, short sleeved shirt with a leather tie that matched his jacket and khaki brown pants, got out of his car with his bible in hand. He locked the car and headed for the entrance of the church, all the while looking for any sign of Adam. As he reached the front steps he saw Adam standing quietly by himself beside some tulip plants.


“Adam!” Daniel called out gladly.


Adam who was as usual dressed awkwardly with a tie looked startled. Then he recognized Daniel and looked relieved. He had been waiting by the tulip patch for over 15 minutes. It was rather awkward for him especially when all the faces around him were strangers. Daniel waved him over.


“Glad to see you here,” said Daniel enthusiastically as he slapped Adam on the back, “let's go inside”.

In the church, which was one big hall, the sound of hymns blared from speakers all round. There were deep blue polyethylene chairs joined together in rows of 6, forming aisles, enough to seat 600 people. But only less than half the seats were taken. The back rows were totally empty. There was a buzz of chatter with people moving to their seats and the background music. Adam felt strange and overwhelmed by the atmosphere even-though he had been to Sunday masses many times in Catholic churches. This was the first protestant church he was coming to. The interior was light and brightly lit by mercury lamps and also by down lights which were everywhere. The atmosphere contrasted with the usual stained glass, and heavy and dark architecture of Roman Catholic cathedrals.


Daniel and Adam took the 9th row where there were only a few occupants and sat by the middle aisle. A band of 6 were already in their places at the back of the dais. A minute later a 40 plus years old man with a tie and long sleeve shirt came out onto the dais and stood behind the pulpit. He was the worship leader. Then 2 LCD projectors projected song lyrics onto 2 screens that were located on the walls on the left and right of the dais simultaneously.


“Good morning, welcome to all of you. Isn't it a privilege to be in the house of the Lord and to be able to worship God.......” said the man through the microphone.


Just then Daniel noticed Adam. His eyes were darting left, right and center. His shoulders were hunched over and his neck bent. His head was peering from a position of defensive fear. Daniel found it quite odd.


“Let us all rise now and sing ‘Majesty’.” the man continued.

Everyone stood up except Adam. Daniel patted Adam's shoulder.


“You'll suppose to stand up.”

“Oh.” said Adam and got up.


“Majesty, worship his Majesty..........” everyone sang except Adam. He was just moving his lips. The band played loudly and the atmosphere was starting to charge up.

Then people started raising their hands up. Adam began feeling even more uneasy. A skinny man in his 50s started dancing a comical dance which didn't match the rhythm of the slow song in the aisle in front of Adam. Daniel noticed Adam looking even more startled than before. He put his right hand on Adam's shoulder to calm him.


After standing and singing for about 35 minutes, the worship leader asked everyone to be seated. Adam had never stood so long in church let alone sung so long. His feet were killing him. And the boredom was murder.


“The man doing the worship leading is Vincent Villario,” Daniel shared with Adam, “he's a good mate of mine.” Adam didn't respond. That didn't bother Daniel. He was getting used to Adam's usual lack of responsiveness by then.


Then it was time for the offering. Offering bags were passed around and offerings were given. The collectors then headed to the front right corner of the dais and placed all the offering bags of maroon velvet into a box with a hinged lid. A lady then padlocked it and carried the box out of the hall.


A choir of 20 young ladies and men all dressed in white came on the dais and sung a couple of hymns.


Adam was starting to get restless in his seat when something caught his attention. The choir was singing their third song which was a contemporary Christian song. It was “God is good”. It was fast and catchy. Adam was stirred by it. He liked it.


Adam started singing and clapping along with the crowd. Daniel observed with delight at Adam's sudden outburst of energy and enthusiasm. People started standing up, and then even Adam.


        “God is good.

         All the time

         He put a song of praise,

         in this heart of mine.

         God is good.

         All the time.............”


After a few more songs the church Pastor came on stage for about 40 minutes to give his sermon for the morning.  Much to Adam's dismay the preacher talked about matters that only made Adam feel accused and terribly uneasy. It was sheer torture for him. It was a mixture of fear and guilt. Daniel noticed Adam's reactions especially Adam's fearful eye darting around and stealing glances at people around him.

Daniel was getting even more curious and puzzled at the same time. He didn't know what to think. Then another song was sung by the congregation led by the worship leader and the closing prayer was said. Some announcements were made for the coming week’s church activities then it was time to leave. They got up and as they streamed into the aisle Daniel couldn't help overhearing Adam singing “God is good” under his breath. Evidently the song had really left an impression on Adam.


A lot of people greeted Daniel and he replied in return. They followed the crowd to an adjoining hall where coffee, sandwiches and flapjacks were being served on long tables with white table cloths. Adam who hadn't had breakfast headed straight for the food. Daniel was both alarmed and amused at the same time at seeing Adam gorging down sandwiches. Daniel was a few feet away from Adam when Vincent came by to him.


“Good morning, Daniel,” wished Vincent, “glad to see you”.

“Hey, hi, you did well this morning,” answered Daniel, “you're getting pretty good at worship leading.”


Vincent stood at 5'11”, strong looking and had jet black hair, not even a single strand of white hair. He wore a well pressed long sleeved shirt and matching tie with equally well pressed light grey slacks. His Anglo-Italian blood was showing in his strong features and thick eyebrows. He looked more like a footie player then his actual profession which was an accountant.


“Thanks, it all goes back to the gentlemen upstairs.” He indicated with his eyes looking upwards.


“Where are the missus and kids?”

“Oh, they are around some where. Anyway the church board meeting yesterday approved a fund of $ 5,000 for your campaign to help teenagers develop skills for their future.” said Vincent in his deep voice.


“Really!?” answered Daniel with ecstasy mixed with uncertainty.

“Yup.”

“Hey, you're not kidding me, are you?” Daniel replied.

“No.”

“That's great. Thanks for telling me this good news. I didn't think it would come through.” Daniel was elated as he raised both thumbs up.

“I know you have been waiting for the funds for sometime but please keep it under wraps for the time being.”

“Sure.”

“Your written proposal was actually the clincher.” added Vincent.

“It does pay to be a journalist after all.”

“The pen is mightier than the sword.” Vincent mused, with a smile.

“Amen to that.“

“You didn't come for the cell group meeting last Wednesday.”

“Yes, I had a late meeting at work,” answered Daniel, “I'll make sure I come this Wednesday. Might even bring this young gentlemen…….” Daniel turned around to speak to Adam.

 “Adam.........” but he wasn't there. He had disappeared from sight.

 

Adam was still eating a ham and cheese sandwich as he drove off in his car.

 

 



© 2012 Chris Yip


Author's Note

Chris Yip
Critiques welcome!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

My I’m a bad person to have taken so long to get back to this story, sorry.
I felt bad for Adams discomfort, rather waiting for some kind of strange attack. With how you begin the story, I’m in constant tension of when will the shoe drop.
I loved the little chuckle at the end.

Posted 11 Years Ago


A day at the church with poor Adam. I could feel the excitement and noise of a full church with the strong description. I like Adam eating his sandwich and was glad to escape the church. A excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

379 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 19, 2012
Last Updated on January 30, 2012


Author

Chris Yip
Chris Yip

About
I'm an Interior designer but involved in sales and marketing of construction chemical products now. My experience in writing is limited and this unfinished novel that i am writing now is my first real.. more..

Writing
Sharon Sharon

A Poem by Chris Yip



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..