Sunday Night     Chapter 10

Sunday Night Chapter 10

A Chapter by Chris Yip
"

Peaceful events on a Sunday night

"

Chapter 10

Sunday Night

It was 9.10 pm. Lynn had just taken her hot shower. She was in her white cotton bathrobe and drying her hair with a towel as she sat at the edge of her single bed. Opposite her were Iris and   Tasha, her 2 flat-mates, seated on a sofa. 


They were talking about their boyfriends. Iris was a young registered nurse. Tasha was a HR executive in an international advertising company. They were all classmates in school. Just then the focus of the conversation was on Lynn.


“You said 3 months ago you would be getting a new boyfriend,”Iris spoke to Lynn in a cheeky tone, “you would be an old maid if you wait any longer.”

“Yeah, you broke off with Dean nearly a year ago,”  added Tasha, “you should be having a life by now.”


“I am having a life,” defended Lynn, “it's just that I am waiting for the right guy to come along.”

“Oh, it's the same old story again Miss Goody two shoes,” jested Iris.

“What about Marco that Italian stud that stays in the next block, he seems to like you,” remarked Tasha.

“Yeah, but he hardly speaks a word of English.”

“Oh, too bad.” quipped Tasha.

“Hey, I know. You like Tim. Don't you? He's your instructor at your health club.” pointed Iris.

 “No, I don't really like guys that spend half their lives in the gym,” answered Lynn, “besides he's too old for me. I prefer someone 33 and below.”

“Woo, someone's getting specific here,” teased Tasha.


“I promised myself ever since I broke up with Dean that I would be very careful in choosing someone again,” proclaimed Lynn.

“Same old Miss clean and proper,” retorted Iris.


The 2 young ladies were in T-shirts and shorts. Tasha got up from her seat and went to the window and drew open the curtains.

“It's getting hot and stuffy in here,” she remarked.


It was quite a view from the window of the 4th floor of their low rise apartment block at South Yarra. The flat overlooked the Yarra River. They were on the south bank diagonally opposite to  the Central Business District of Melbourne city. To the left corner of the window they could see the old Olympic stadium a distance away in the background. It was partly hidden by trees in the darkness of the night.


“Actually there's this cute guy in my office. We had coppucino together last Tuesday,” admitted Lynn.

“What guy?!” shouted Tasha loudly from the window. She quickly got back to her seat.

“You never told us you had a cute guy in your office,” remarked Iris, “You've been holding out on us.”

“No, we have only had a drink just that once. That's all.”defended Lynn again, “we work our butts off at the office the rest of the time, you know.”

“Tell us about him,”, urged Tasha “Is he tall?”

“Yes, he is quite tall."

“And?” asked Iris.

“He is cool and witty.”

“And?” asked Iris again.

“He's good looking and he's about 30.”

“Mmmm, definitely my type,” remarked Iris.

“What else?” Tasha asked.

“Hey! Is this the Spanish inquisition?” Burst out Lynn. Her forehead was frowning.


Tasha and Iris exploded into laughter.

“Hey this could be Mr. Right this time!,” mused Tasha.

“Yeah, Lynn actually lost her cool,” teased Iris, “woo, things are getting sensitive'”


“Okay, okay I give up on you guy.s” Lynn couldn't help giggling with embarrassment and at the same time blushing.


 They continued talking until 10.30 pm that night. Lynn had to chase the 2 girls out of her room. They were determined to find out as much as possible about Daniel as they could. She couldn't help smiling to herself thinking about them and about Daniel as she got into bed. She fell asleep with the smile still on her face.

Daniel was playing basketball with about a dozen or so youth at the New Canterbury Baptist Church's 3 acre property at the edge of Canterbury. They were playing on the concrete paved basketball court with night lighting.


“Okay, I'm calling it a night,” said an exhausted and perspiring Daniel. He was in a track bottom and wearing a black singlet with the number 7 on the back and front of it.


“Aw, come on Daniel, lets just have one more round,” pleaded Ashley, the 17 year old teenager who was the son of a church member.


“Yeah, it's only 9.50 pm now.” agreed someone else.

“No, sorry guys, I've got work tomorrow,” answered Daniel. “You carry on but please lock up before you leave.”

“What about our community project?” Steven the stout but muscular 16 year athlete asked.

“I can't let you know anything yet,” answered Daniel, “but I think we'll know for sure next week at Friday's youth meeting.”

“It's been weeks that we've been waiting for an answer.” complained Ashley.

“I'm glad you all are interested and want to pitch in,” continued Daniel, “it means a lot to me.”

“We just want to help,” answered Peter the tall and skinny freckled face university student, “besides it's always more cool when we do something together.”

“Yeah!” the rest agreed.

“Don't forget, it's all about Jesus,” added Daniel, “very important to get your perspective right.”


The teenagers listened intently and nodded with agreement. They then continued their game of basketball.

Daniel loved this part of church life, just interacting and getting along with the youth. He liked working with young people and they too with him.


Daniel got up and went to the men's changing room and toilets. He knew he would be sleeping well that night. He always did after a good work out.


He arrived home at his trendy studio unit feeling drowsy already. He bath, brushed his teeth and sat at his bed to say a short prayer. Then he lay down and was asleep in seconds. He was right. He did sleep well that night.


Adam was having supper at an Italian restaurant opposite the esplanade at St Kilda beach area. As usual he was alone, eating spaghetti marinara and a salad with a glass of coke. He finished everything and burped. He called for the bill and paid for it.

A few minutes later he was in his car driving in East St. Kilda. All seemed normal except that he was breathing a bit heavily and driving slowly, slowing down more sometimes as he came to street corners or passed dark alleys. He was combing the streets. He often did this at night.


45 minutes later he was in his apartment. It was a half hour drive to East Caufield from East St. Kilda. He didn't bother to shower, just took off his clothes and went to bed. The lights in the apartment were all on as usual. Adam tossed and turned for sometime until he fell asleep just before 1.00 am. His sleep was bad that night, just as it often was on certain nights.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



© 2012 Chris Yip


Author's Note

Chris Yip
CritiQues welcomed!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I enjoyed the girls banter and the individual views.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I like the three parts of this chapter. Describing thoughts and action of the three main characters. Each with different lives and desires. No weakness in this excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

367 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 19, 2012
Last Updated on January 30, 2012


Author

Chris Yip
Chris Yip

About
I'm an Interior designer but involved in sales and marketing of construction chemical products now. My experience in writing is limited and this unfinished novel that i am writing now is my first real.. more..

Writing
Sharon Sharon

A Poem by Chris Yip



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..