rare

rare

A Poem by Christel Grady

i ain't no vegetarian

 

smell of burnt

 

fat & flesh

 

drooling, craving, dripping

 

slam me a slab

 

of bloody Betsy

 

on my plate she pools

 

knife & fork tools

 

slap down the napkin

 

& devour


 

© 2008 Christel Grady


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Seriously--we must be long-lost sisters!!!! We're just too much alike.

I'm definitely a carnivore. Don't believe in the vegetarian lifestyle, because I believe in yin & yang--and that means some of everything. You just plain are NOT HEALTHY if you eat only veggies. Besides missing out on the joys of a big, juicy steak....YUM!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I wouldnt change a word myself, it may break the fragile artisticness,
as well as the passionate intent that is always difficult to achieve,
in this case, that is. as far as the meaning, humorous and delving,
i really enjoyed the concept and the neature of the hunger, classic.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hah! This is great! I'm a vegetarian, but when I do eat meat, beef especially, (sometimes I can't help myself) I like it still mooing at me!
Aside from that, I like how graphic it is! =)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

carniviously well done!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

very good imagery in short form. You have made it into the first cut of finalists for my Imagery Contest.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I actually laughed at this... =]

This is simply genius. Not only is it catchy and funny, but it also says a lot about who you are as a person.

As far as the writing itself goes, however, I do have a few things to comment on. First is the rhythm. A big part of poetry is the rhythm, and in this piece, it seems a little ...off. Not always a bad thing, but if you read through this a few times, it seems to be presented a little illogically. Something you could try out to see if it changes anything is adding punctuation. A few commas and periods can go a long way.

Line seven ("on my plate she pools") doesn't read smoothly to me in this piece. I suggest breaking it apart ("on my plate / she pools") or just moving "she pools" to the next line and leaving "on my plate" on its own line, or somehow rearranging those words so that they read more smoothly.

You did, however, have magnificent word choice throughout. I am an avid carnivore, myself, and reading this made me want some steak. I seriously crave steak now. (Good going, you've made me hungry. Gah.) The imagery was marvelous as well.

Honestly--a very nice piece.



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

...hungry now. must go eat dinner...meat!! yum!
=)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Throw one on the grill for me please! Throw in some A1 and I'll be over in 20 minutes.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm a vegetarian, and I still liked this poem. It's funny and raw (pun intended) and very visual. Also, I love any writing that makes use of the sense of taste. That's a difficult one to do, but you did it well with your various descriptions! :) Nice job. I enjoyed reading this poem, especially the line about "bloody Betsy."

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

oh, yeah! steak with sauteed mushrooms... grilled hamburgers with tons of condiments... bacon and eggs with a bloody mary... pizza with all the dead animals on it (line from jet lag novel)

lol, you and i may be the only people with a dteak avatar:
Chapter 5.3 "Bring Yourself"

kudos to you for this!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

haha bravo. nicely done. =)

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

710 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on August 20, 2008

Author

Christel Grady
Christel Grady

Portland, OR



About
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." James Madison .. more..

Writing
frank frank

A Poem by Christel Grady



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..